Help me to decide on a new equipment :) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help me to decide on a new equipment :)

paradigm777
11-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Hi all,

I am new at this, currently I have a Sony A/V receiver GA8ES and it has developed some noise/static on the center channel. I am in the market for a integrated amp or A/V receiver (I don't really need a tuner).

I listen to 60% music (95% classical music) 40% movie/video. The room is about 13 x 13. My budget is about $800.00 to $1000.00 and I don't mind getting a used piece.

Thank you all,
Joseph

PAT.P
11-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Hi all,

I am new at this, currently I have a Sony A/V receiver GA8ES and it has developed some noise/static on the center channel. I am in the market for a integrated amp or A/V receiver (I don't really need a tuner).

I listen to 60% music (95% classical music) 40% movie/video. The room is about 13 x 13. My budget is about $800.00 to $1000.00 and I don't mind getting a used piece.

Thank you all,
Joseph
This is a small room ! If you plan to be in this small room a 5.1 would be plenty ! But 6.1 and 7.1 would be alright too .Yamaha have lots the bell and whistle and at this time of year they clear whats remaining in store at reduce price ! The demo could save you lots more .Shop around and save .Pat.P :)

topspeed
11-03-2004, 01:00 PM
You mention you're getting noise out of the center channel which would lead me to belive you have a full surround system, right? If that's the case, I'm unclear how an integrated would help unless you plan on getting one with a theater by-pass so you can listen to music in two channel. Every integrated I've seen is two channel only, which is not to say a multi-channel doesn't exist, simply that I've yet to see one. Of course, this still leaves you with static in your center channel during movies. Bit confused here...

If you do have full surround rig and are merely looking for a good AVR to replace the Sony, I'd think the Denon 3805 or Yammie RXV2400 (on close out!) or new 2500 would be a fine choice. I like these AVR's because they (along with Pioneer) come with auto room equalisation, a feature that is more important than 1000 dsp modes, and are very reliable. Onkyo and Marantz are also well regarded but I don't believe they carry auto-eq...yet.

Hope this helps.

paradigm777
11-03-2004, 01:10 PM
Hi topspeed,

I am looking to replace my Sony GA8ES, which is AC-3 ready reciver.

You brought up my next question. What do you think about the Yamaha rx v2400 or rx v2500 AVR route (purchase a new AVR) or should I go separate (amp/preamp) i.e. get a used Sunfire Cinama 5 ch. amp (i would need a pre amp).

topspeed
11-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Hi topspeed,

I am looking to replace my Sony GA8ES, which is AC-3 ready reciver.

You brought up my next question. What do you think about the Yamaha rx v2400 or rx v2500 AVR route (purchase a new AVR) or should I go separate (amp/preamp) i.e. get a used Sunfire Cinama 5 ch. amp (i would need a pre amp).
Well, you would not need simply any 'ol preamp, you're going to need a preamp/processor, and that can get expensive.

Whether to go separates is entirely your choice. What are you driving? Do you do any critical listening? How seriously do you take our little hobby? For HT, a good reciever like the Yammie or Denon will more than suffice. They are well built, reliable, and as I mentioned, come with auto-eq. Can you eq your system manually? Of course, it's just easier with YPAO and Denon's system.

FWIW, I prefer separates. They afford the user more flexibility and the ability to tailor the sound to their existing equipment and taste. That said, for about 95% of the population, a receiver such as the 2400 will be more than adequate for most situations. As long as it can drive your speakers without strain or shutting down, you should be fine. For the lunatic fringe, like yours truly, we simply find most receiver's lacking in their ability to correctly portray music.

Listen to both a receiver and separates within your system and see if you can hear the difference. Most importantly, determine if that difference is worth the price of admission because trust me, the price gap between a Yammie receiver and pre/pro & amp rig is not going to be subtle.

Good luck and buy what moves you.

paradigm777
11-04-2004, 12:47 PM
Hi Topspeed,

I am driving

PSB 400i (front L/R)
Paradigm777 Alpha (surround L/R)
Infinity CC
Energy Amp 12 ich sub

But I am planning to replace the PSB 400i with a pair of Dynaudio (don't know which one yet). I hate to be buying A/V every 7 years. That's how long I own the Sony GA8ES so far. That's why I am looking into separate.

what would you recomment for entry level separate that isn't too much ? What do you have anyway? and have you heard of Outlaws Audio ?
http://www.outlawaudio.com/home.html

Regards,
Joseph

topspeed
11-04-2004, 10:29 PM
But I am planning to replace the PSB 400i with a pair of Dynaudio (don't know which one yet). I hate to be buying A/V every 7 years. That's how long I own the Sony GA8ES so far. That's why I am looking into separate.Hi Joseph,
I'm assuming you're buying Danes because you like their sound, right? Not because some anonymous poster told you they were the best speaker since sliced bread, correct? I'm only bringing this up because there are a ton of excellent speakers out there and everyone hears differently, have different room acoustics, and listen with different expectations. Choose your own route. The other reason this is important is because if you are going to get Danes, you can forget the receiver idea right now. They are too hard to drive and will require a good dedicated amp to receive their full measure.

what would you recomment for entry level separate that isn't too much ?Define "too much." $500? $1,000? $10,000? It sounds like you'd like an upgradeable pre/pro. These aren't cheap. You might try looking on Audiogon.com for some nice used Lexicon pre/pro's or the Parasound Halo C2 is pretty sweet.

What do you have anyway? Click on my moniker for my main rig. My bedroom rig consists of a Marantz 2230 vintage reciever, Echostar STB, Toshiba SDP2000, and Von Schweikert VR-1's. My office rig is comprised of a Cambridge Audio Azur 540a integrated, 540c cd player, and Mission 780a Argonauts.

have you heard of Outlaws Audio ?Absolutely. They have a stellar rep for delivering great bang for the buck. I've never auditioned them personally, but they definitely have their fans.

paradigm777
11-06-2004, 12:19 AM
Hi Topspeed,

I first heard of Dynaudio (audiance 50) front speakers 7 years ago when I first purchase my HT speakers. $900 for a pair of front L/R was too much back than. But the sound quality in compare with the PSB 400i (very nice for $400.00/pair) was much much warmer. Even after 7 years, I would still remember the sound quality.

The reason I am asking for thest question is that I want to do it right with the amount of money I want to spend. I am very happy that you have suggested that getting a receiver would not be sufficient for driving a pair of dynaudio speakers (maybe Audience 72 or nicer speakers). If that's the case, I don't mind save and go with the amp/preamp route.

Outlaw audio has a pre/pro for $1600 (7 ch x 100W) or $2400 (7 x 200W). So I could say my budget right now is $2600.00 for pre/pro and cables (approx. max). Do you think for that kind of $$$ or less I can get a used a used pre/pro by Parasound or Lexicon.

Finally, I like my setup also to be HT friendly as well. what kind of benefit or picture quality will I being loosing for going the pre/pro route. Am I giving up picture quality if down the line I get a DLP or LCD HDTV.

I truly appreciate the time you take in answering my elementary questions.

Regards,
Joseph