Belkin surgemaster any good? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Belkin surgemaster any good?

madmax1
11-02-2004, 06:58 PM
I just saw at home depot that they have surge protectors- Belkin surgemaster any good?? It has a $10,000 dollar connected equipment warranty. Goes for about $30.00 dollars. Could i use this for my HT setup or should i goto Monster one. Just wondering thanks for any input!!!

PAT.P
11-02-2004, 07:52 PM
I just saw at home depot that they have surge protectors- Belkin surgemaster any good?? It has a $10,000 dollar connected equipment warranty. Goes for about $30.00 dollars. Could i use this for my HT setup or should i goto Monster one. Just wondering thanks for any input!!!
Im using one on one of my system and no problem ! Also using APC brand (sold at Radio Shack and I coneected 2 sub ,2 dvd ,receiver ,tv ,vcr ! Had two power feilure and no problem!!! Pat.P :)

malibushirl
11-04-2004, 03:20 PM
This is in line with a recent thread from a few days ago. Don't waste your 30.00. Surge protectorts like this are designed to fail at some certain spike level. Trust me, I lost a Toshiba RPTV this way.

If you want some certainly look into products from Brickwall. Do a Google search on them. Their products are more than $30.00 but under $200.00. No, I don't work for them - I just got tired of burning out boards in my Toshiba 43 inch RPTV. Actually happened twice because of surge spikes or so was the diagnosis of the technician.

Krazykaj
11-09-2004, 09:02 PM
I too would recommend against getting those surge protectors, save your $30. (This is a recommendation from a friend in the industry :))
If you are serious about getting something to protect your equipment you may want to consider spending/investing your money in a UPS. It does everything from filtering your power, protecting against things like spikes etc. for some examples look at http://www.marmups.com/.

I have all my (4) PC's and HT gear running off these things and they are great, never had a problem. And they don't cost very much either.

But yeah, I’d stay away from the belkin power board you suggested, you'd be better off buying a cheap standard power board and another cheap, simple surge protector and you'd have the same sort of thing.

And stay away from the Monster version as well, just another way to rip off money for something that only does, and is only worth, a fraction of the cost.

As I said, you would be much better of spending a bit more and getting the power backup system/uninterruptible power supply. They should give you what you want and much more. They are also designed a lot more for industry standards, and are of higher quality.

anyways, my 2cents

Cheers
KJ

PAT.P
11-09-2004, 09:30 PM
I do use one but looking to upgrade to a Furman go to the ir website .These are pro equipment www.Furmansound.com Pat.P

s dog
11-10-2004, 09:15 AM
I too would recommend against getting those surge protectors, save your $30. (This is a recommendation from a friend in the industry :))
If you are serious about getting something to protect your equipment you may want to consider spending/investing your money in a UPS. It does everything from filtering your power, protecting against things like spikes etc. for some examples look at http://www.marmups.com/.

I have all my (4) PC's and HT gear running off these things and they are great, never had a problem. And they don't cost very much either.

But yeah, I’d stay away from the belkin power board you suggested, you'd be better off buying a cheap standard power board and another cheap, simple surge protector and you'd have the same sort of thing.

And stay away from the Monster version as well, just another way to rip off money for something that only does, and is only worth, a fraction of the cost.

As I said, you would be much better of spending a bit more and getting the power backup system/uninterruptible power supply. They should give you what you want and much more. They are also designed a lot more for industry standards, and are of higher quality.

anyways, my 2cents

Cheers
KJ would something like this work, found on staples web site apc 800 va bx 800 7 outlet ups

PAT.P
11-10-2004, 10:40 AM
would something like this work, found on staples web site apc 800 va bx 800 7 outlet ups
Check their website and ask them! www.apcc.com they have all kinds .They even have some connected to house breaker box .Pat.P

Stewrt
11-13-2004, 04:33 PM
Been living in Puerto Rico for about 4 months, Did alot of research on this subject before I moved here. Constant power failures and surges here. Fried a few things already and a friends computer ate the dust as well. I bought a few of the BRICKWALL units and anything that was plugged into them is doing great. My cell phone was plugged into the wall w/o protection and the battery and the phone both burnt up. I like em for the price. Not a big fan of Monster products. And after reading a few articles online and the info on the brickwall website and haveing an electrician friend look over the specs, I was convinced it would be the best thing for me.
Just a suggestion. They aint too big, make no noise, and arent ugly either.