O.C. & the indie Underground... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : O.C. & the indie Underground...

audiobill
11-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Alright, folks.

I was at my local HMV, today, checking out their new releases section, when out of the blue I see two "comps" that I skeptically turned over. As I read the list of artists on these comps, some familiar RR names leapt out: Death Cab for Cutie, Interpol, Modest Mouse, the Killers, the Eels, the Raveonettes, Low, et al. What's really bizarre is that these weren't RR comps or a new extended follow-up-series to the "Left of the Dial" boxed set -- these were "soundtracks" to a popular TV series called The O.C..

What' happening to pop culture??

Is the underground invading?? Or is there simply a music geek from RR secretly working as musical programmer for this television show?? Come on.........which one of you is it??

Lmk & kudos,
Bill

-Jar-
11-02-2004, 06:27 PM
Alright, folks.

I was at my local HMV, today, checking out their new releases section, when out of the blue I see two "comps" that I skeptically turned over. As I read the list of artists on these comps, some familiar RR names leapt out: Death Cab for Cutie, Interpol, Modest Mouse, the Killers, the Eels, the Raveonettes, Low, et al. What's really bizarre is that these weren't RR comps or a new extended follow-up-series to the "Left of the Dial" boxed set -- these were "soundtracks" to a popular TV series called The O.C..

Is the underground invading?? Or is there simply a music geek from RR secretly working as musical programmer for this television show?? Come on.........which one of you is it??

Lmk & kudos,
Bill

I heard Interpol on CSI: MIAMI last week.

Of course, you hear Coldplay all the time on that show. But that isn't so surprising.

-jar

Dusty Chalk
11-02-2004, 09:58 PM
Well, unlike eMpTyV, television shows have to do the opposite of what they do. eMpTyV is basically a promotional vehicle for the record companies, a 24/7 advertising campaign, repeating those 5 or 10 songs until they are big. Television shows have to do the opposite, they have to catch your ear, so of course they're going to pick the good stuff. I don't remember the first time I heard a "cool" band on Buffy or Charmed or whatever it was, but I do remember the feeling -- it made me want to investigate the show further.

Anyway, that's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

Ex Lion Tamer
11-03-2004, 05:32 AM
Alright, folks.

Lmk & kudos,
Bill

Though I don't always like to admit it, (and I ususally blame my wife, if Id do), I watch Gilmore Girls almost every week. The references to indie bands are fast and furious. I've heard songs or references to...Interpol, Modest Mouse, Shins (who actually made a live appearance on the show), Death Cab for Cutie, Franz Ferdinand, The Strokes, The White Stripes, and miriad semi-underground 80s bands. Last night a couple of characters were watching Stop Making Sense. When watching I see all kinds of promos for The OC, but have never watched it. I guess I'll start.

Stone
11-03-2004, 07:06 AM
. . . I watch Gilmore Girls . . .

I have no idea what this show even is. What's it about? When's it on? What network?

Jim Clark
11-03-2004, 07:07 AM
Recent article I read in the ent. section of the KC paper discussed the fact that DCC was the golden child of the OC. Apparently there's a character who manages to plug the band repeatedly. In this day of paid product placements, DCC wants everyone to know that this just happened and neither they nor their label had anything to do with it. Kind of cool and just last night I pulled out Transatlantacism. On a related note-having never seen the show, what on earth does OC mean?

Music on TV seems to be getting trendier. Of course at that point it starts becoming mainstream. Then what are we going to do??? It's getting harder and harder to stay one step ahead.

jc

-Jar-
11-03-2004, 07:53 AM
On a related note-having never seen the show, what on earth does OC mean?

jc

Orange County.

audiobill
11-03-2004, 07:55 AM
Hey, I don't know what O.C. stands for. Similarly, I've never watched the show -- other than the commercials for it.

You can bet that I'll give it a try, since all the bands on the CD-soundtracks are way too cool.

Also, if RR indie bands become "mainstream" -- I see this as a good thing -- perhaps, they'll finally usurp the plastic lip-synchs that currently dominate the pop charts these days.

So........ no one's fessing up to moonlighting as musical programmer for this show -- the O.C..........Bill

audiobill
11-03-2004, 07:58 AM
Well, unlike eMpTyV, television shows have to do the opposite of what they do. eMpTyV is basically a promotional vehicle for the record companies, a 24/7 advertising campaign, repeating those 5 or 10 songs until they are big. Television shows have to do the opposite, they have to catch your ear, so of course they're going to pick the good stuff. I don't remember the first time I heard a "cool" band on Buffy or Charmed or whatever it was, but I do remember the feeling -- it made me want to investigate the show further.

Anyway, that's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

Hey, Dusty.

I'm a huge "Buffy" fan. I'll have to watch the O.C. and see if it even comes close.
Cheers,
Bill

Ex Lion Tamer
11-03-2004, 08:46 AM
I have no idea what this show even is. What's it about? When's it on? What network?

I get it on WB11...is that called "The WB" something like that. It's on Tuesday nights at 8:00, and the local (Burlington, VT, I think) FOX station re-runs it at 10:00.

In a nutshell, its the continuing saga of a 30-something single mom and her daily humorous exploits in a small town in Connecticut whose residents are impossibly colourful. The single mom rejected her parents plentiful money and influence when she became pregnant and, on her own, raised an impossibly well-adjusted daughter. The show's main feature is its (sometimes) sickeningly clever and fast moving dialogue. I think it could be safely described as a "chick show". I find it often humorous, and I do enjoy the musical references that are generously sprinkled throughtout just about every episode.

Dusty Chalk
11-03-2004, 10:51 PM
I'm a huge "Buffy" fan. I'll have to watch the O.C. and see if it even comes close.Well, I'm a big fan of Buffy, too, but I don't watch The O.C., so don't draw a comparison based on what I said. I didn't mean to imply one. I was just talking about television shows in general.

...but it does have Mischa Barton in it:

http://ffmedia.ign.com/filmforce/image/mischabarton_theoc1.jpg

...so...tell me how it is, eh?

ForeverAutumn
11-04-2004, 05:38 AM
I watched a couple of episodes of the OC when it first started. And, although I've never seen Dawson's Creek, from what I had heard about it, it seemed to me like OC was created to replace the cancelled Dawson's Creek. Plot line = lots of pretty young people living in angst. I watched two or three episodes and that was enough for me. It didn't even come close to the clever script-writing of Gilmore Girls (which I watch on occasion).

It is nice to hear that the show is promoting some of these bands, however. Maybe I should give it another chance.

audiobill
11-04-2004, 06:54 AM
Folks:

For what it's worth.... it's on tonight (season premiere).

For us Canadians, it's on CTV at 8:00 tonight.

Not sure which/if American network carries it, as well.

FYI,
Bill

Stone
11-04-2004, 06:57 AM
I get it on WB11...is that called "The WB" something like that. It's on Tuesday nights at 8:00, and the local (Burlington, VT, I think) FOX station re-runs it at 10:00.

In a nutshell, its the continuing saga of a 30-something single mom and her daily humorous exploits in a small town in Connecticut whose residents are impossibly colourful. The single mom rejected her parents plentiful money and influence when she became pregnant and, on her own, raised an impossibly well-adjusted daughter. The show's main feature is its (sometimes) sickeningly clever and fast moving dialogue. I think it could be safely described as a "chick show". I find it often humorous, and I do enjoy the musical references that are generously sprinkled throughtout just about every episode.

Sounds somewhat interesting. We don't get the WB here, although the PAX network reruns some of the WB shows. I'll have to see if Gilmore Girls is one that it reruns.

ForeverAutumn
11-04-2004, 07:50 AM
Folks:

For what it's worth.... it's on tonight (season premiere).

For us Canadians, it's on CTV at 8:00 tonight.

Not sure which/if American network carries it, as well.

FYI,
Bill

Um...excuse me...Survivor is on at 8:00. Need I say more? :D

audiobill
11-04-2004, 08:15 AM
'nuff said :)