Guided By Voices calling it quits... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Guided By Voices calling it quits...

Swish
11-02-2004, 02:08 PM
and are on their last tour according to a lengthy and informative story I read in that liberal rag City Paper :D when I was in Cincinnati last week. Anyway, the staff writer told a pretty funny story about a guy who used to come into a record store where he worked back in the 1980s. He always admired the guy's record selections, and the customer would often ask them to hold some records until he got his next paycheck. When they asked him what name to put on the order, he'd say simply "Bob from Dayton". He always came back with the cash and picked up his records. Sometime later, the writer went to see a couple bands and realized the lead singer/guitarist of one particular band was "Bob from Dayton", who you probably have already guessed is Rob Pollard of GBV.

Anyway, it was a good story, a well-written article and a nice summation of the 20 year history of the band. I have most of their cds, many of which I like a lot, and some not so much. I'm certainly a fan and am sorry to see them go, but Rob will be doing some solo stuff now, and l expect it to be pretty much like GBV, ala Stephen Malkmus after leaving Pavement.

Here's a note from their website:

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM GUIDED BY VOICES

After almost 20 years, assorted lineups, and countless albums, EPs, singles, triples, stolen bases, misdemeanor convictions, and broken hearts, Dayton, OH's fortunate sons are taking leave of your senses. 'Half Smiles Of The Decomposed,' to be released August 24 on Matador Records, will be the final album from Guided By Voices, one of the most acclaimed independent rock bands of all time.

"This feels like the last album for Guided By Voices," explains Robert Pollard, GBV's lone constant member, lead singer, and famously prolific songwriter. "I've always said that when I make a record that I'm totally satisfied with as befitting a final album, then that will be it. And this is it."

'Half Smiles Of The Decomposed' is the band's 15th full-length studio release, following 2003's 'Earthquake Glue' and retrospective box set, greatest-hits, and DVD releases. Although its tour later this year will be the band's last, Robert Pollard will continue writing, recording, and (possibly) touring as a solo artist. "I love the guys in the band, but I'm getting too old to be a gang leader," he explains. "There's a sense of maturity, and even integrity, I think, in continuing as one's own self."

In addition, here are the final dates of their last tour. What really sucks is that most are sold out and none are near me, so I guess I'll never get to see them. Bummer.

THE ELECTRIFYING CONCLUSION TOUR

LEG 2 MAKEUP DATES

Wednesday November 3
Athens, GA - 40 Watt - 18+

Friday November 5
Austin, TX - Stubbs - All Ages
w/ Tobin Sprout
Tickets Available at FrontGate Tickets.com

Saturday November 6
Dallas, TX - Gypsy Ballroom - 17+
w/ Tobin Sprout
Tickets Available at FrontGate Tickets.com

Sunday November 7
Houston, TX - Engine Room - 18+
w/ Tobin Sprout
On sale Ticketmaster.com

All tickets bought for cancelled dates will be honored for new dates & refunds for those who need one can be gotten at point of their ticket purchase.

LEG 4

Thursday November 11
San Diego, CA - Canes - 21 +
w/ Tommy Keene
On sale Ticketmaster.com

Friday November 12
Los Angeles, CA - Henry Fonda Theatre - All ages
w/ Brian Jonestown Massacre
SOLD OUT

Saturday November 13
San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore - All ages
w/ Tommy Keene
SOLD OUT

Monday November 15
Portland, OR - Berbatis - 21+
w/ The Joggers
On sale at www.ticketswest.com

Tuesday November 16
Portland, OR - Berbatis - 21+
w/ The Thermals

Wednesday November 17
Seattle, WA - Neumos - 21+
2/ The Thermals

LEG 5

Friday December 3
New York, NY - Irving Plaza - 18+
Phantom Tollbooth (reunion)
SOLD OUT
Doors at 8 pm
Phantom Tollbooth 9 pm
GBV 10:15 pm

Saturday December 4
w/ Chavez (reunion)
SOLD OUT
Doors at 8 pm
Chavez 9 pm
GBV 10:15 pm

Sunday December 5
On sale Ticketmaster.com 10/8 at 12 noon eastern
Doors at 7 pm
GBV at 9:15 pm

Monday December 13
Orlando, FL - Tabu Night Club - All Ages
w/ Bloom and special appearance by The Laundryroom Squelchers
On sale Ticketmaster.com

Thursday December 30
Chicago, IL - Metro - 18+
w/ Tobin Sprout - $25
SOLD OUT

Friday December 31
Chicago, IL - Metro - 21+
w/ The Go - $75
SOLD OUT

So what's your favorite GBV rocord. I'd have to go with "Under the Bushes, Under the Stars", or perhaps "Bee Thousand"?

RIP to GBV,
Swish