is monster cable worth it? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : is monster cable worth it?

paco
11-02-2004, 07:37 AM
As a teenager, I bought 50 feet of monster cable and have always used it for my main speakers. As I expand my sound system in my house to a remote room, I wonder if the concept of super thick cable with gold connectors really makes a difference and what products are out there now for a "middle of the road" budget. I am running a 70's era sansui model 880 receiver and will need 150 feet of cable.
Thanks ahead :cool: for your advice

JSE
11-02-2004, 09:39 AM
Go with standard 10ga. or 12ga speaker wire. Check out Home Depot, Radio Shack, Lowes, and Partsexpress.com for choices. No need to go fancy. With 150 ft. of run, the guage is far more imporatant than brand. Don't go less than 12ga. for that length.

Here is some from partsexpress.com

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=100-155

or

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=100-157

JSE

Rycher
11-09-2004, 08:18 PM
Are Monster products worth it? I guess that's purely subjective. Monster is certainly not for everyone. They are expensive, but....they are built like tanks, and with very high quality components (conditioners/amps). As for cables........hard to really say. A lot of other companies make great cables - and cheaper. My view is that the Monster cables are expensive, but not by that much over another high-end cable maker. It comes down to pride of ownership, I guess. Like this HT hobby, you will usually find certain manufactures that you will end up sticking with throughout the years.

Geoffcin
11-10-2004, 04:01 PM
As a teenager, I bought 50 feet of monster cable and have always used it for my main speakers. As I expand my sound system in my house to a remote room, I wonder if the concept of super thick cable with gold connectors really makes a difference and what products are out there now for a "middle of the road" budget. I am running a 70's era sansui model 880 receiver and will need 150 feet of cable.
Thanks ahead :cool: for your advice

For one of my component video hookups. They perform perfectly, and are built to take the electromagnetic pulse of a nuclear blast. So far as speaker cables are concerned I have no experience with monster speaker cables. I recently wired my house for a 7.1 Home Theater, and I ran commercial 14ga OFC speaker wire to the rear speakers.

vr6ofpain
11-10-2004, 07:13 PM
Definately not. Buy some decent 22-24awg wire and braid it, put some nice Dayton connectors or cheaper on them(from partsexpress) and you got nicer interconnects, that you can make to whatever length you want...at a fraction of the price.

Speaker wire, if you want exotic for the looks, buy it. If you only care about sound quality, buy some of that home depot 14awg wire. Even stereophile recommended it, and it is super cheap.

Buying Monster Cable = Their marketing department makes EVEN MORE money.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-11-2004, 11:14 AM
If you don't mind helping them pay for renaming of a stadium, then Monster is cool. Otherwise look elsewhere, Monster cable is no better than radio shack in my book.

Stewrt
11-13-2004, 03:14 PM
Bought one of thier lower end (not lowest) S-video cables a few years ago and the end fell off. Havent bought anything of theirs since. And dont really plan to. Maybe it was just 1 bad expierence though.
Thats my 2 cents worth

Stewrt

texlle
11-30-2004, 04:14 PM
I bought one S-Video and a set of interconnects from monster cable a couple of years ago. I believe the S-Video cable to be pretty decent, noting my very limited knowledge of video quality and such; however, I quickly moved the interconnects to between the tv and dvd player as I could not stand listening to them with my cd player. I also bought the monster xp speaker cable on the spool, and found it to be horrible as well. I, personally would steer clear of monster as you really don't get what you pay for with monster equipment.