New Mark Knopfler - "Shangri La" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Mark Knopfler - "Shangri La"

J*E*Cole
11-01-2004, 08:45 PM
Picked up the new Mark Knopfler album called "Shangri La" the other day at Best Buy for $13.99. It was well worth it. Besides the excellent lyrics and instrumental qualities of this CD, what really stands out, and WAY out is the pure recorded quality of this music. This recording is simply astonishing. You could use this as a sample disc it sounds so good. Apparently sound quality is most important with the artist as his earlier "Sailing To Philadelphia" album is equally well recorded. And as with STP, every single track was a masterpiece. If you like fine guitar and thoughtful words, presented in what I would call a "folk/rock", then you will probably appreciate this album. Let me know what you think about it...

ForeverAutumn
11-02-2004, 05:53 AM
Picked up the new Mark Knopfler album called "Shangri La" the other day at Best Buy for $13.99. It was well worth it. Besides the excellent lyrics and instrumental qualities of this CD, what really stands out, and WAY out is the pure recorded quality of this music. This recording is simply astonishing. You could use this as a sample disc it sounds so good. Apparently sound quality is most important with the artist as his earlier "Sailing To Philadelphia" album is equally well recorded. And as with STP, every single track was a masterpiece. If you like fine guitar and thoughtful words, presented in what I would call a "folk/rock", then you will probably appreciate this album. Let me know what you think about it...

Thanks for the post JE. I've been wondering about this album but, as mentioned in your previous post, was a littel gun shy after his last CD. I did manage to listen to a bit of Shangri-la at a listening station and was impressed by what I heard. The sound quality was, indeed, very good. I could tell that even through the crappy headphones that they put on those stations. While the songs started off strong, after about the fifth song I started to get the feeling of "sameness". There didn't seem to be a lot of variation amongst the song styles and I wondered if the CD would get boring. Any comment on that? Was my impression wrong?

J*E*Cole
11-03-2004, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the post JE. I've been wondering about this album but, as mentioned in your previous post, was a littel gun shy after his last CD. I did manage to listen to a bit of Shangri-la at a listening station and was impressed by what I heard. The sound quality was, indeed, very good. I could tell that even through the crappy headphones that they put on those stations. While the songs started off strong, after about the fifth song I started to get the feeling of "sameness". There didn't seem to be a lot of variation amongst the song styles and I wondered if the CD would get boring. Any comment on that? Was my impression wrong?
Respectfully... yeah, although it may be true that the basic songcraft of this album is similar across most of the tracks, but what makes this work so good in my opinion, IS the exceptional songcraft present here across all tracks. This is good stuff from start to finish, and of course the recording is incomparable. I'm happy with the purchase of this one.

ForeverAutumn
11-03-2004, 02:36 PM
Respectfully... yeah, although it may be true that the basic songcraft of this album is similar across most of the tracks, but what makes this work so good in my opinion, IS the exceptional songcraft present here across all tracks. This is good stuff from start to finish, and of course the recording is incomparable. I'm happy with the purchase of this one.

Thanks. I'll add it to my list. :)

anamorphic96
11-07-2004, 12:31 AM
Another album to check out from Mark Knopfler is Golden Heart. There is not to much of the "sameness" between the cuts on this album. Very well recorded as usual and is recorded in HDCD as well. Sailing To Philidelphia, and Shangri La are also in HDCD if this matters to anyone.

Also check out his brother David Knopfler. His solo stuff is worth a listen.

Cheers,
Glenn

Mike
11-08-2004, 02:16 AM
Just to let you know I posted your Dires Staits comp at the weekend and as luck would have it included a Golden Heart too

Cheers
Mike