Question on FM antennas [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question on FM antennas

19redwings
12-12-2003, 03:41 PM
Do the amplified ones really do anything, or am I better off with cheap wire one that comes standard with the receiver (Sony ES). I was looking at the Terk ones.

Thanks for any advice!

markw
12-12-2003, 09:31 PM
If you can in any way avoid an indoor powered antenna, do so. Antennas are one area where size DOES matter.

The idea behind these indoor antennas is to take a tiny antenna and boost the signal with an amp. Good ion theory but, in practice, has several drawbacks.

If a tiny antenna aith an amp was as good as a big antenna, then there would be no market for the big 'uns. Unfortuantly, they ain't. that's why passive antennas still sell well to those who really care about FM reception, and there are still a few of us around.

1) Remember, the key word is "Amplifier", not "cleaner upper" (new word?) The signal must be clean in the first place. Tiny antennas have a problem with weak signals here. They are generally buried in noise, which would not be so wiit ha larger piece of metal. When the signal is amplifed, it amplifies the noise along with the signal itself. If a signal is strong enough to be cleanly amplified, it's probably strong enough to be fed directly to the tuner.

2) In some cases, the tiny antenna get lucky and find a marginal signal where the amplifier actually helps, but generally a basic $3 dipole will do a pretty good job (and with less noise) if you orient it correctly. This can try one's patience but it can do quite a nice job if the signal is of decent quality..

3) If you can do an outside antenna, do so. RatShack offers some pretty decent, moderately priced FM only antennas. A directional Yagi goes for $20 or so and is well thought of in the audio community. This isgreat when most of your stations are in one direction and some distance away. Likewise, they make at least one omnidirectional antenna that works quite well. I've used one of these for several years and it works wonders where I am. Stations at virtually every point on the dial. But, I have many stations in all directions within 50 miles or so here just outside of NYC.

4) FM is kinds limited to a range of 30 - 50 miles, depending on your local terrain and your antenns but overall, the better the antenna the better your recption. The more distant youare from a station, the more likely a directional antenna will be best.

5) It's preferable to have a good antenna and a mediocre tuner than a great tuner and a poor antenna.

Good luck...

poneal
12-13-2003, 06:54 AM
I have know people who bought these amp. antennas and were disappointed. I think they are all gimmick. I would stick with the wire that came with your system or go for an outdoor one like the previous poster noted.

FLZapped
12-13-2003, 07:46 AM
Do the amplified ones really do anything, or am I better off with cheap wire one that comes standard with the receiver (Sony ES). I was looking at the Terk ones.

Thanks for any advice!

There is no substitute for a good ourdoor antenna. However, if you're stuck in an apartment(or otherwise not allowed external antennas), an amplified antenna may help. However, the amplifiers they usually use in those things are simple single IC devices that have lousy overload characteristics and are broad as a barn door, so they'll amplify both desirable and undesirable stuff - so starting with a simple wire dipole, if you're stuck with an indoor antenna, might be the best place to begin.

-Bruce

joel2762
12-14-2003, 05:12 AM
On the back of my Sony reciever, where the FM antenna hooks up, I hooked a cable to it running from my cable wall outlet. I have cable tv and the reciever picks up the stations much better. But also, even without cable tv I think the buildings cable system would act as a good antenna.

Monstrous Mike
12-15-2003, 09:16 AM
If you are stuck to indoors, I would get a cheap FM dipole antenna. This is basically a large wire antenna that you pin to your wall and forms a T. And hopefully you have choice between two walls that are at a 90 degree angle because one is usually better than the other (due to the directionality of the signals).

recoveryone
12-18-2003, 07:30 AM
years ago when I was in the military (29 Palms, CA) I used a roof top antenna and was able to pick up station in the Los Angeles area, thats about 150 miles away. I live now only 50 miles away and can bearly get a thing with the indoor amp I use now. I keep saying I'm going to put roof top antenna back up, but just haven't gotten around to it.

mtrycraft
12-19-2003, 09:24 PM
But also, even without cable tv I think the buildings cable system would act as a good antenna.

Sorry, that is not the case. Haphazard, shielded cables do not make a good antenna.

markw
12-20-2003, 07:20 AM
Mtry,

Some cable services provide FM signals along with TV signals. In that case. it will allow FM receivers to get stations, but they are not "over the air" as one might assume.

happy ears
12-30-2003, 09:40 PM
My cable supplies FM with cable, but I will also pick up all the local FM channels at there designated frequencies. Although the cable supplier always tells me that it is not possible to pick up local channels through there shielded cable I have always been able to. However some of the stations tend to drift and do not light up all the signal strength bars. Finding the correct station on cable will result in better sound quality. So it is true that shielded cables does not make a good antenna but it will still pick up local stations poorly

As well I find that using an antenna gives me slightly better sound quality over the cable signal, no much but I do find it better. Do not know why this is so. Presently I use a dipole antenna in the window and I am lucky that most of the FM channels are in the same directions. Good luck with tuning your antenna.

mtrycraft
12-31-2003, 09:12 PM
Mtry,

Some cable services provide FM signals along with TV signals. In that case. it will allow FM receivers to get stations, but they are not "over the air" as one might assume.

I may have misunderstood him then thinking that he was thinking the cableing will act as a giant antenna as some voodoo gadgets have been advertised to do, convert the house wiring into a giant antenna.

If he meant to use the Cable TV company service without cable TV and only buying the FM, then that should be doable indeed :)

happy ears
12-31-2003, 10:27 PM
What do you mean that those devices that turn your house into a big antenna are voodoo. Would they not give you multipath signals with all there different antenna directions.

Two things I wish from my cable with Shaw, first it should not pick up the local radio station but it still does for some reason. Second there is a slight quality loss compared an antenna picking up local stations. I do mean a slight loss, to hear the difference you need two tuners to do side by side comparisions. Without this comparision you would never know there was a difference.

For myself I always use a dipole in the window for local stations and use the cable feed for out of town stations. Also cheap rabbit ears in the roof of a house also works pretty well, but if you are going through the trouble install a FM antenna with motor controls if the stations are not all in the same area.

Happy tuning and good luck

mtrycraft
01-01-2004, 09:09 PM
What do you mean that those devices that turn your house into a big antenna are voodoo. Would they not give you multipath signals with all there different antenna directions.

Two things I wish from my cable with Shaw, first it should not pick up the local radio station but it still does for some reason. Second there is a slight quality loss compared an antenna picking up local stations. I do mean a slight loss, to hear the difference you need two tuners to do side by side comparisions. Without this comparision you would never know there was a difference.

For myself I always use a dipole in the window for local stations and use the cable feed for out of town stations. Also cheap rabbit ears in the roof of a house also works pretty well, but if you are going through the trouble install a FM antenna with motor controls if the stations are not all in the same area.

Happy tuning and good luck

I think I may have confused you now. The FM signal from a cable company is fine, except you may not get local stations, maybe.

What I was referring to are ads in newspapers for little boxes you attach to an outlet, usually a 120V outlet to use the house wiring as an antenna. That is voodoo, just cannot happen if one know about antennas and how they work or don't:)

happy ears
01-01-2004, 10:04 PM
I remember seeing those ads as you said. Never have seen one in action, maybe this was something that the average person did not fall for. Just imagine one simple box to replace all that antenna theory.

Cable is fine but I always recieve local stations twice, once where the local broadcast is and a second time where it is on cable. This should not be but it always happens for me. Four different tuners with the same problem in three different houses. Maybe I am unlucky or the cable is not as perfect as Shaw tells me.

Also I always use a dipole antenna for local stations but this works the best when they are located near each other. Presently I am lucky that all FM stations locally are in one area. Therefore one set up works just great. Otherwise it would have to be a outdoor antenna or cable. Not all of us or lucky or maybe unlucky to live in or near the big cities.

Have A Great Day

shuen
11-25-2004, 11:16 PM

Thanks for any advice!

Hello I own a classic monster Pioneer sx1010 stereo receiver and like to listen and record fm stereo.Played with lots of antennas from wire dipoles to TV rabbit ears I have found amplified antennas only add background noise.I played around with Terks,They are Junk in my opinion and all never worked a darn. looked into outdoor antennas and was looking at $300.00 with tripod and rotor etc so that was out of the question Tested a few other indoor brands and came across one called Godar Model fm1a . This indoor antenna finally solved my problem.I wanted to receive 2 local stations decent and clear for listening and recording. One low powered from a University and another low powered station that plays raver teckno style music. Never could receive these stations in stereo. The Godar antenna is flat and stelthy looking.It is passive non amplified and highly directional.Just moved the antenna and watched the meter rise to almost a 3 from my average 1.This antenna works great for me and was a life saver for this raver!! Bought this antenna from Music Direct.com chicago Well worth the $60 investment

JamezHill
11-25-2004, 11:33 PM
I bought Terk's best amplified antenna.... what a waste of money :(