New Member Needs Ideas/Help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Member Needs Ideas/Help

Red Ninja
11-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Hello! I am a first time poster on this forum. I am looking for ideas in regards to new speakers. Currently I am using the Onkyo HT-S760 home theater in a box, but I feel it's time for an upgrade. Here is what I am thinking about:
Center Channel: JBL EC-35 ($174.95 new on eBay)
Front Speakers: JBL E-80's ($351.95 new on eBay)
My goal is to to find a decent center channel and a pair of towers for under $600. If these are good prices for what I have listed, and most importantly, if these are good products, please let me know. Any other feedback would be much appreciated!
Thank you in advance.

NickWH
11-01-2004, 06:02 PM
For the money you want to spend, you should give a serious look at the Athena Audition series.

http://www.athenaspeakers.com

Their top-o-the-line tower is currently $250/off on AudioAdvisor:

http://www.audioadvisor.com

You don't even have to bid and you can return them less shipping costs if you don't like.

PAT.P
11-01-2004, 08:31 PM
Hello! I am a first time poster on this forum. I am looking for ideas in regards to new speakers. Currently I am using the Onkyo HT-S760 home theater in a box, but I feel it's time for an upgrade. Here is what I am thinking about:
Center Channel: JBL EC-35 ($174.95 new on eBay)
Front Speakers: JBL E-80's ($351.95 new on eBay)
My goal is to to find a decent center channel and a pair of towers for under $600. If these are good prices for what I have listed, and most importantly, if these are good products, please let me know. Any other feedback would be much appreciated!
Thank you in advance.
This is a very good price ! On the JBL website the EC -35 is listed at 349.99 ,and the E -80 towers are listed at 349.99 each! Im using the EC-25 for my center and have no complaint ! (got it for $199.99 Canadian and it was open box ) This center is very big and male and female come out clear!Pat.P :)

spacedeckman
11-01-2004, 08:55 PM
Sound much better than the JBLs. However, the JBLs are "boomier" so if you are into that, they will be the better choice. I've heard both, and the JBLs weren't my cup of tea, but much better than the previous models.

Red Ninja
11-01-2004, 09:15 PM
Thank you very much for your replies! The Athenas do seem pretty good from the reviews I am reading. I'll have to do some more research before making my decision. If anyone has any more input, feel free to add!