which is better? plasma or LCD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : which is better? plasma or LCD

charlton2
11-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Wondering what people here think. Plasma or LCD television, which do you think is better? People are saying, for smaller sizes, LCD is better, and for larger sizes, Plasma is better. True? I look forward to your input(s).
Thanks,
Charlton Conine

Woochifer
11-01-2004, 05:53 PM
At larger sizes, plasma is CHEAPER. LCD has advantages over plasma in they don't have burn-in issues and are supposedly more durable. But, LCD also doesn't have as good a contrast ratio and in the past they could not refresh as quickly, which makes moving images not look quite as lifelike as plasmas. Plasma has some performance advantages, but they also have issues with screen burn-in and their long-term durability is somewhat iffy. But, for now at least for sizes 42" and over, they generally have better picture quality and they're cheaper than LCD. That could change a lot in the next few years though because it seems that LCD technology's advancing a lot faster, and I've read some articles that feel that plasma's an interim technology. Supposedly, plasma reliability is improving and the prices are due to take a tumble as new production capacity overseas comes online.

charlton2
11-01-2004, 06:47 PM
Thanks, Woochifer. That answer is very, very impressive. I am not being sarcastic. Really informative, and easy to understand. I can't say enough. I am a bit stunned.
Thanks a lot,
Charlton

korido lander
11-02-2004, 12:02 PM
Plazma is more contrast? and brightness?