My latest addiction: Pinback - Summer in Abaddon [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My latest addiction: Pinback - Summer in Abaddon

Davey
11-01-2004, 12:24 PM
Progressive indie rock? This one might take a few listens to really soak in since they do harken back to earlier times with lots of Police influence in the dark but melodic punk sense. And not too far removed from old school mid 90s emo like Sunny Day Real Estate, but not nearly as whiney. Police meet Modest Mouse with the drummer from Appleseed Cast? But there are still hints of that Three Mile Pilot heritage they share with Black Heart Procession (another huge favorite of mine). Still, the first listen might go by without too much really sticking. But a couple more listens and the individual songs all start to blossom and then snake into your brain. Hard to believe that the bulk of this was recorded in a bedroom and a spare room because it sounds so damn good. Very nice mix with lots of great vocal harmonizing and shimmering guitars. Seems like the best thing they've done yet. Beautiful flow and nearly every song has a lot going for it. Totally love the aggressive "AFK" album closer, with the pounding drums and shout along lyrics that convey the album title in the chorus - kind of like Isaac Brock and his Modest Mouseketeers, especially in that megaphone-enhanced backing vocal track...

Release....
Protect. Embrace. Engulf.
Remember the summer in Abaddon.
Protect. Enslave. In love.
Remember the summer in Abaddon.

Getting close to album of the year for me - top 5 for sure. Lots of time spent on infinite repeat around here lately. And yes, this post may have appeared in a similar form on another website recently. You got a problem with that? Hehehe, I'm only good for about one original thought per day so I hope you can keep a sock in it if you've seen this before ;)

So....what's your latest addiction?

tentoze
11-01-2004, 12:45 PM
Castanets, Cathedral..........SoCal-based conglomerate that, oddly enough, is populated with players from the afore-mentioned Pinback, as well as Rocket From The Crypt. Frontman Raymond Raposa describes the music as "derailed psychedelic country" and who am I to argue with the creator? Definitely not country in any popular or mainstream sense, or even in the alt. variety, at least to my ears. Raposa pokes around in the dark corners of the post-modern attic for song subjects, then splashes them on a musical background inhabited by toy pianos, dulcimers, and swirly ambient noise. Moody and engrossing, a dang good piece of music.

nobody
11-01-2004, 12:52 PM
I've been playing <b>Old Crow Medicine Show</b> a bunch lately. It's a scruffy mix of country and bluegrass. Roughed up Americana. Really great cover of CC Rider, a great song about a southern boy goin' to Nam and a great closer about going down a long and lonley road to see a girl (Wagon Wheel, which I actually saw a video for on CMT a long while back). David Rawlings produced it, so Gillian Welch fans may be interested. They came through town here together and played a wonderful show. I've had it for a while, but the last week or so has seen it getting more plays than before.

Slosh
11-01-2004, 03:39 PM
Yeah, that Pinback is all that and a bag of dope. Kinda sorta like the bastard spawn of Yo La Tengo and Spoon. Or maybe YLT, Spoon, and Enon in a three-way. Whatever, it's the kindamzkIlike.

So....what's your latest addiction?

Me, I can't seem to get Rogue Wave - Out Of The Shadow off of my turntable. It's easy to hear why they've been touring with the Shins. It's a great pairing, although Rogue Wave have a bit more of an edge to their sound, in a sorta Built To Spill-ish way. Lennon/McCartney-esque vocal harmonies and phrasing, odd Jimmy Page-like guitar tunings (think Bron-Y-Aur Stomp), and hooks that stay in your head for days . . . and this is only their debut. Can't wait to see if their sound grows on the follow-up. Definitely a band to keep your eye on.

I only have two minor criticisms (keeping in mind this is a debut album, after all). One is they have tons of great ideas but it sometimes seems they don't give the songs quite enough room to flesh out. The album has twelve songs but clocks in at only about 37 minutes. Several songs leaving you wanting more (which I guess is a good thing) where another verse could have easily been added in without making things boring or too repetitive. The other is the lyrics sometime seem kind of contrived . . . . hmmm, maybe that's why some of the songs are so brief? But all in all it's a good listen and recommended for fans of the Shins.

Davey
11-02-2004, 09:39 AM
But all in all it's a good listen and recommended for fans of the Shins.
Also just saw that The Shins will perform on Jimmy Kimmel Live on November 5th.