DVD Recording and Aspect Ratio [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD Recording and Aspect Ratio

joepupo
11-01-2004, 07:59 AM
Sorry for asking such a simple question. I thought I had a decent grasp on the aspect ratio topic ... until I purchased a DVD Recorder. I have source material on TIVO which
I recorded to DVD+R. The original formatting is correct on my HDTV. When I monitor it
while recording it is correct. But then when I put the DVD+R disc in my standard
(newish) DVD player (not the recorder) the image is stretched. In other words, the black bars on the top and bottom are larger than the 'original'. I never had any issue with the formatting of any kind ov DVD played thru my DVD player on my 16x9 HDTV. Any idea why the recorded footage on DVD+R (from a separate DVD Recorder) gets 'streched' like that? Thanks for any suggestions you might have. Joe

Wireworm5
11-01-2004, 09:02 AM
This is just a guess. On my dvd player there is a set up menu. If you scroll through it, somewhere you should see what aspect ratio the dvd player is set to. Change it to 16:9 instead of 4:3.
Hope this helps.

hershon
11-01-2004, 09:26 AM
I asked a similar question earlier but got no response. Specifically, if the master Video was recorded on 4:3 aspect, do I record it on my DVD recorderat 16:9 to watch on my HD TV or do I record it at 4:3?

This is just a guess. On my dvd player there is a set up menu. If you scroll through it, somewhere you should see what aspect ratio the dvd player is set to. Change it to 16:9 instead of 4:3.
Hope this helps.