Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Lost Christmas Eve [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Lost Christmas Eve

progfan
10-31-2004, 06:34 PM
I think the new TSO is possibly the best one yet. It's almost as heavy as Savatage in places; in fact, they do a sequel to a 'tage song and a few themes sound almost lifted note for note from The Wake of Magellan. It's also less Christmas-y, outside of the two choral songs near the beginning of the CD. I cannot wait to see these guys perform this album live next month!

Opinions?

Dusty Chalk
10-31-2004, 08:31 PM
I respectfully disagree -- I think it's their worst one yet. And by worst, I mean, least favourite -- I still like it. "Carolized"? What D L R they on about? Also, how can you say it's "least Christmasy"? They've got "What Child Is This?", "O Come, All Ye Faithful", and...well, I don't remember which tracks, but there are certain famous carols in at least two of their instrumentals...reprise a Savatage song? Are you sure you are talking about the right disk? The Lost Christmas Eve is the new one, Christmas Eve and other Stories is the one that has "Christmas Eve (Sarajevo 12/24)" on it...or are you thinking of another tune that I missed...

OTOH, I do believe they "kick out the jams" more on this disk than on any other, and for that, they get bumped back up a few notches. I.E. I agree with your assessment of an overall more proggier/Savatage/glam metal/whatever you want to call it disk, and for that, it still ultimately gets a big ol' two thumbs up from this alien(ated) one.

Scale:
one thumbs up -- don't listen to me, but I like it;
two thumbs up -- obtain;
three thumbs up -- pulling hair out in exasperation...how can anyone not like this?;
zero thumbs up -- thumbs down, duh.

ForeverAutumn
11-01-2004, 05:45 AM
I see merit in both your points. It doesn't have the same christmas feel that the first two disks do. Although, this vocal version of Oh Come All Ye Faithful (hidden in the track For The Sake of Our Brother) is probably my favourite that I've ever heard. It just sounds so heartfelt.

I'm not as enamoured with number three as I was with one and two. Now, it could also be a matter of familiarity. I've heard the first two disks hundreds of times and know them pretty much note for note by now. I listen to them year 'round. They are old friends. The new disk may just take some growing on me. It's a new friend that I'm still enjoying getting to know.

Also, the first two disks were a total surprise to me. By that I mean that Jim Clark introduced me to them and I had absolutely no idea what to expect. I can honestly say that no music, before or since, had the same profound effect on me at first listen. I listened to the disks and was floored by (IMO) the total brilliance behind the music. I knew what to expect with this new disk and so I guess some of the magic that came from the first two was lost.

Personally, I love the choral stuff on the first two disks. Some of the vocal layers actually send shivers down my spine, they're so good. As much as I love the instrumentals, I would have liked to have seen a bit more choral on this disk.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the new disk. It's every bit as good as I expected it to be. But I prefer the first two. That could change, however, once I become a little more comfortable with #3.

Celtic Bob
11-01-2004, 06:59 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the new disk. It's every bit as good as I expected it to be. But I prefer the first two. That could change, however, once I become a little more comfortable with #3.

I totally agree with you. All there stuff is great but I prefer the first 2 as well. Once I get more familiar with this cd over the next month or so it may become my favorite of the 3. I hope they decide to film their current show and put it out on DVD so us folks who are not lucky enough to see them live can somewhat experience it.
b.

progfan
11-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Dusty Chalk said:

"reprise a Savatage song? Are you sure you are talking about the right disk? The Lost Christmas Eve is the new one, Christmas Eve and other Stories is the one that has "Christmas Eve (Sarajevo 12/24)" on it...or are you thinking of another tune that I missed..."

TSO do "Back to a Reason Part II", a sequel to a song that appeared on 'Tage's Poets and Madmen. That's the sequel I was referring to. Also, at the end of "Christmas Dreams", with the vocalist singing "every hope, every hope is worth saving" sounds a heck of a lot like Zak singing "every one, everyone is saved" from "Anymore" on The Wake of Magellan. I

I guess what I meant by less Christmas-y was that its heaviness may appeal less to those who were expecting a typical TSO CD. For example, I know of a few people who don't like metal at all, but like TSO. But they didn't like the new album, because it's too heavy. I'm tired, am I making any sense?! LOL

I've listened to the new CD a few more times since posting and I'm just loving it. As with all their CDs, they could use a little trimming here and there but I still think it may be my favorite of theirs.