floorstanders searching. . . [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : floorstanders searching. . .

RuiDO
10-31-2004, 12:08 PM
I'm looking for a pair of stereo mains for music setup as priority with
involving detailed soundstage with articulated & musical full Bass.
Can I get it with around $1K limit? After some amateur listening research
I'm considering the Paradigm Monitor 9 or 11 AND the Energy Connoisseur C5 or C9.

Before my final decision I'm looking for some suggestions.

PAT.P
10-31-2004, 12:28 PM
I'm considering the Paradigm Monitor 9 or 11 AND the Energy C5 or C9.

Their both good speaker ara you getting a sub ? There also Axiom or the Dahlquist (I have theQx 9 and for music hard to beat )check the Dahlquist at AUDIOSHOP website OTTAWA CANADA he has the QX8A at sell price of 649.99 these sound very good also ,Marc Hallam at the audio shop also sells the Energy brand ! One great audio store and thats no bull!!! Pat.P :)

RGA
10-31-2004, 02:08 PM
You could try the B&W 603S3, Audio Note Absolute Zero Two, and possibly Magnepan - also consider going used - you can probably get 3-5 year old speakers that went for over $2k new for your budget - and that opens it up to much better stuff than the Paradigms and Energy models(or at least allows you to get higher models from them like an Energy Veritas.

psonic
11-01-2004, 08:36 AM
I'm considering the Paradigm Monitor 9 or 11 AND the Energy Connoisseur C5 or C9.

Easy, go audition Dynaudio Audience 72 & 82, the 62 is close to your budget new but you may want more deep bass that the others provide. The 72 & 82 pop up on audiogon.com from time to time and you can grab them well into your budget. Once you hear them you will want them in a big way. I bought the 60's that way...went out and listened at the dealer then hunted for them online. Honestly as much as I do like Energy C5, the Audience blows it away in every possible category including the ones you listed. They are near impossible to beat at the pricepoint and the bass and detail and soundstage are big and clear. ;)

http://www.dynaudiousa.com/products/audience/72/aud72.htm

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_print.asp?ID=2177

svang
11-01-2004, 12:40 PM

Try JMLab Chorus 726S. You will not regret.

Woochifer
11-01-2004, 03:25 PM
In general, I found that most floorstanders in that under $1,000 price range had serious problems with bass resonance and reduced imagability compared to comparably priced standmounts. They have an advantage with the bass extension and a somewhat punchier and more aggressive sound, but otherwise, standmounts have advantages in almost all other areas.

If you're looking into the Monitor 9 and 11, I suggest that you also give the standmounted Studio 20 and 40 a try, or even the Monitor 5. In general, I like the Monitor 9, but it's not as well balanced an all-around speaker as the Studio 20 or 40. The Monitor 5 I found to have a decent amount of low end punch, but with better imaging and better overall balance than the floorstanding Monitors. But, the Monitor 9 does have a very forward sound (which can be good depending on your preferences) with very good kick in the low end for a very reasonable price. If that's your kind of sound, then by all means go for it.

But, if you're open to the idea of a standmount, then it opens up a lot of other options for you in that price range. Before you go with low impedance speakers like Magnepan or Dynaudio, you need to make sure that your amp can handle it. Most entry level to midlevel receivers cannot handle more than one pair of 4 ohm speakers at a time without an outboard amp.

RuiDO
11-01-2004, 05:01 PM
What about Dynaudio Audience 72 ?

RGA
11-01-2004, 11:42 PM
If you can get the Dane 72 then that's the one I would take. I want to make a caution here that I have only heard the 52 and the 82 so unless they screwed up the 72 (and some companies screw up a given speaker in a given line from time to time) then this would be by far the speaker line I would take. The 82 murders the Studio 100 and IMO the floorstander in the Veritas line. With the exceptuion of the BIG Vertas 2.8 which for about $6,000.00 Cdn despite a few reservation I had with it's slightly overly airy shushy treble and a pronounced midbass/bass issue is a terrific loudspeaker which has scale power and sheer excitement that would have me wanting another audition. I can;t say that with the lower Veritas - and I don't get why none of them seem to have the same excitement.

Anyway keep in mind that the Danes require significant power to drive. I know someone on one of these forums preferred the 72 to the 82 - this is also possible as the top model in a lot of speaker lines isn't the best sounding model.

kexodusc
11-02-2004, 05:10 AM
I'm with Wooch on this one...the floorstanders under $1000 have a bit more bass, but sometimes at the expense of cabinet resonance issues, and poor imaging. Although I must admit, the last few times I checked out the Monitor 9 and C-9, I couldn't hear any of it. Maybe they've been improved to compensate in recent editions?
I'm still of the opinion the Mini Monitor or Monitor 5 are the best from that line, or the C-3 from Energy. I always recommend buying standmount/bookshelf speakers and a sub instead of the tower versions of a model line.
Conversely, you might wish to consider RGA's excellent advice, and buy a decent used speaker. You could easily get the Studio 40's or Veritas or so something better for that kind of money.
For $1000, I'd also suggest you take a look at some of Totem's offerings, particularly the Rainmaker, which I found to be more than competitive with speakers in the $800-$1200 range. You might like them, the highs and midrange are excellent and a surprising amount of bass from such a small speaker.

S. Jensen
11-02-2004, 03:26 PM
What about Dynaudio Audience 72 ?

Hello RuiDO,

During the past half year I have been giving the Dynaudio Audience line a very good listen. Especially the 72 and 82. I borrowed both models to take them home for a thorough listen: check this link for my experience - and the good advice the friendly helpful folks in this forum gave me -

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=3898&page=2&pp=25&highlight=Dynaudio

If you can afford the Audience 72, then go for it! As you can see, the difference to the 82 is very little.Just like RGA has experienced, then I have spoken with a Dynaudio dealer in Denmark who even prefers the 72 over the 82. That 72 definitely gives a lot of value for the money! The versatility of the speakers is simply great.

Happy listening and good luck - please let us know what you buy!

S. Jensen

topspeed
11-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Boy, there's a lot of really good speakers under $1K. I'm in agreement with Wooch and Kexodusc that you're far better off with a standmount than a floorstander. I also agree with RGA that buying used can net some pretty nice finds. Because speakers are so subjective, I don't think anyone here can say one speaker is outright better than another. I can tell you which ones I think are worth considering, tho:
Paradigm Studio 20 V3
Von Schweikert VR-1
Monitor Audio Silver
DefTech PowerMonitor
B&W 603
Magnapan 1.2
JM-Lab/Focal Chorus S

There's probably tons of others I've missed. The point is, you're going to have to go out and listen to a bunch of speakers just to figure out what type of sound you like. Do you like the speed of 'stats or planers? Are your more into the punch of dynamics? Two way? Three way? Horn loaded?

See what I mean?

Good luck and take your time. The journey is half the fun.

svang
11-02-2004, 09:28 PM
Boy, there's a lot of really good speakers under $1K. I'm in agreement with Wooch and Kexodusc that you're far better off with a standmount than a floorstander. I also agree with RGA that buying used can net some pretty nice finds. Because speakers are so subjective, I don't think anyone here can say one speaker is outright better than another. I can tell you which ones I think are worth considering, tho:
Paradigm Studio 20 V3
Von Schweikert VR-1
Monitor Audio Silver
DefTech PowerMonitor
B&W 603
Magnapan 1.2
JM-Lab/Focal Chorus S

There's probably tons of others I've missed. The point is, you're going to have to go out and listen to a bunch of speakers just to figure out what type of sound you like. Do you like the speed of 'stats or planers? Are your more into the punch of dynamics? Two way? Three way? Horn loaded?

See what I mean?

Good luck and take your time. The journey is half the fun.
Topspeed, I think you are 100% right. Hope he will take your advice.

Cambridge Audio D500SE
Denon PMA2000MKIVR
Focal-JMLab Chorus 726S
Old NEC Cassette Deck
Old NEC Turntable w/ Shure Cartridge
Audioquest Coral
Audioquest CV-6 Bi-wire
XLO Reference 2 10A Power Cord(AMP)
Cardas Quadlink-Five Power Cord(CD)

psonic
11-03-2004, 07:57 AM
The best advice is to go listen to all the names mentioned in addition to any other good speakers you can find. The second best advice is you will get much more speaker for $1000 used, especially if you want a floorstander. Third best advice is don't get hung up on a dealer recommended speaker or any particular online review, use your own judgement and compare with great scrutiny. Now go search for dealers and see what is in your area to listen to.