Hsu VTF-2 and crossovers... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hsu VTF-2 and crossovers...

pdawg17
10-30-2004, 10:25 PM
I have a VTF-2 and a Yammie 5590...the lowest crossover on the receiver is 90Hz...isn't sound at that frequency still directional? Is there another way to set the crossover lower without getting a new receiver?

Vardo
11-01-2004, 02:28 PM
I have a VTF-2 and a Yammie 5590...the lowest crossover on the receiver is 90Hz...isn't sound at that frequency still directional? Is there another way to set the crossover lower without getting a new receiver?

I have a VTF-2, and you can use the built in crossover in the
power supply of the sub. (That's adjustable from 30Hz to 90Hz).
I think 80Hz would be about right, that's what usually recommended.

Vardo

Woochifer
11-01-2004, 03:06 PM
I have an older Yamaha with the same setting. 90 Hz is definitely not ideal, but with some careful level adjusting and using a EQ to level out the in-room response, my sub only occasionally gives away its location. Aside from the crossover point, other factors that cause the sub to sound directional include vibrations from the floor and adjacent furniture, and (especially) room interactions that accentuate frequencies at or above the crossover point.

If you want to try different crossover points, then you should redirect all of the LFE and bass from the surrounds and center into the main speaker channels, and then high pass the speaker output through the subwoofer's crossover and back out to the main speakers. I haven't tried this with my system because I have the subwoofer output from my receiver patched through a parametric equalizer that helps to eliminate the boominess that was caused by my room. IMO, minimizing the room-induced peaks goes further in improving the overall bass response than changing the crossover point from 90 to 80 Hz would.