Taking sand out. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Taking sand out.

lumiere
10-30-2004, 07:02 PM
Hi.
Does anybody know what's the best way to take the sound out of a speaker? Just trying to find out before I fill mine with sand.
Cheers

N. Abstentia
10-31-2004, 06:08 AM
I'm baffled by that post. Rephrase and ask again!

NickWH
10-31-2004, 06:41 AM
He's refererring to the compartment at the bottom of his Totem tower speakers. There is a fillable portion of the cabinet that you can use to add mass to the unit, not unlike a speaker stand.

What baffles me is why anyone would want to take the stuff out? If this is a concern, I wouldn't use sand, as it would make a huge mess. I would use a different material like Atabites:

http://www.atacama-audio.co.uk/

Still, once it's in there, it's really not worth the effort to remove it. Is the concern for moving?

lumiere
10-31-2004, 10:14 AM
Hi.
Sorry it\f I wasn't clear. The reason I asked is 'cause I didn't know if I was going to like the sound once sandfilled. Anyway, I do like the sound, so it doesn't matter. Altough Totem recomends taking the sand out if you're moving. That's not the case with me.
Thanks again.

N. Abstentia
10-31-2004, 07:37 PM
The part that confused me was the "how do you take sound out of a speaker". Was that supposed to be 'sand' instead of 'sound?

Garrardman
11-01-2004, 02:16 AM
I think it was supposed to be "sand" and not "sound".
However, just in case i'm wrong, the best way to take the sound out of a speaker is to open them up and disconnect the drive units.

:D

Adam.

lumiere
11-01-2004, 08:29 AM
The part that confused me was the "how do you take sound out of a speaker". Was that supposed to be 'sand' instead of 'sound?
Ooops!! Just noticed that sounding mistake now. :p That explains a lot.
Anyway, i like the sound better now with the sand.
Cheers

HokieVT
11-01-2004, 10:07 AM
How do you take sound out of a speaker?

cashlz
11-01-2004, 03:10 PM
With a sledgehammer.

jeffrodesiac
11-01-2004, 10:40 PM
Hi.
Does anybody know what's the best way to take the sound out of a speaker? Just trying to find out before I fill mine with sand.
Cheers
Ive heard of ppl using lead shot balls but sand?