Question for those in the know about MP3 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question for those in the know about MP3

Dave_G
10-29-2004, 11:23 AM
My friend has a bunch of cd's and wants to load them onto a MP3 player.

Can you do this?

If so, how?

Thanks -

Dave

Stone
10-29-2004, 11:27 AM

Can you do this?

If so, how?

Thanks -

Dave

You mean directly? The answer to that question is "no." The CD tracks have to be ripped to MP3s, then transferred to the player. I do it all the time, and there's a ton of software out there, including CDEX, that can do the ripping. The proper software for the transfer would depend on why kind of player he/she has. You may be able to do both the ripping and transfer with one program.

BarryL
10-29-2004, 12:44 PM

Can you do this?

If so, how?

Thanks -

Dave

You'll have to find the software. Your CD copier software may be able to do it already. I'd be surprised if Windows Media Player doesn't do it.

Basically, it's the same as copying songs, only the computer changes the format while it is copying, and gives it a different file extension. The songs as MP3s get saved in a file, and you can play them from your computer, or transfer them to an MP3 player.

I suppose you would insert your CD, select the songs you want to record, select an option or button to convert to MP3, select a target folder, and away you go.

Like I say, I've only done it with Apple's iTunes and transfered songs to my iPod, but it's not difficult to do.