Friday songs anyone... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Friday songs anyone...

nobody
10-29-2004, 10:11 AM
I'll start a Friday song thread if anyone wants to jump in...

I'm going with:

<b>Getting It Together</b> from Tommy Guerrero's <b>Soul Food Taqueria</b>

Thing is a real ear worm. It's got a nice mid-tempo groove that just sticks with ya. Probably even more so as one of only 2 vocal tracks on a 17 track album. Vocals are handled by Blackalicious's Lyrics Born.

By the way, that album title is one of the most descriptive of the music inside I've ever heard. The whole thing's a downtempo, soulful record with latin guitar touches and a little samba beat every now and again, mostly live instrumentation with some loops tossed in.

JDaniel
10-29-2004, 10:22 AM
Modest Mouse - The World At Large (one of those stuckinmybrainandIcan'tgetridofit tunes).

JD

tentoze
10-29-2004, 10:26 AM
I'm in with Wasted from Joseph Arthur's excellento Our Shadows Will Remain. Unctious, soul-tinged pop that is driven by a very infectious drum loop-a tune made for dirty dancing...........

Davey
10-29-2004, 10:33 AM
<i>and the world may be long for you
but it'll never belong to you
but on a motorbike when all the city lights blind your eyes tonight
are you feeling better now?

la la la la la la.....</i>

Grace Cathedral Hill. The Decemberists. Castaways And Cutouts. Love it.

I posted this one over at obner.org last night, but "Grace Cathedral Hill" is still roaming the big sky country between my ears this morning, so excuse me for pulling this beautiful song back out of the recycler bag once again...:)

This is quite an album, and much more complex than I was expecting when I first got it, even with all the Neutral Milk Hotel and Jeff Mangum references appearing in most of the discussions about it. Maybe it's just because I'm a little older (OK, a lot older Smile), but the first thing that struck me about the music, and (especially) the vocals, was the similarity to Robyn Hitchcock, notably his solo work with the Egyptians. And a little bit of the Smiths. The second song even kinda reminds me of a slow Dismemberment Plan song like "The Jitters". And call me crazy, but the third song even reminds me a little of They Might Be Giants, something from the Flood album that I can't quite place at the moment. But there's an old cabaret aspect that runs through the music brought about by the use of those creaky accordians. Kind of a European folk sound, sometimes even a gypsy sound. The stories aren't quite as gripping as the epics ripped with such urgency from the insides of Jeff Mangum, but instead seem to be mostly told from an outside view and without much haste. Kind of reflective, you might say. More peaceful than NMH but still very personal. And very literate too, with lots of unique imagery. Another one that has aged very well for me over the last coupla years.

Troy
10-29-2004, 12:26 PM
I'm SUCH a geek.

http://www.designshed.com/toonage/spacejunk.mp3

http://www.designshed.com/toonage/spacejunk.jpg

Slosh
10-29-2004, 01:05 PM
I'll go with Jim White's "Bluebird" because it happens to be playing right now. It would be right at home on a Black Heart Procession, Calexico, or Sixteen Horsepower album. Need I say more? :)

audiobill
10-30-2004, 07:56 AM
I'll go with The Walkmen's last two tracks on their same-named disc:
"Bows & Arrows" and "Thinking of a Dream I Had" -- very Dylanesque style of singing and plenty of jangly guitars -- these babies rock.

Cheers,
audiobill

Dusty Chalk
10-30-2004, 07:58 AM
Rob Dougan, "Nothing at All", from Furious Angels

Will you walk into the grave with me
Will you leave this empty world
Soft and wistful
To sink into the dark, dark earth
And never reappear would be blissful
To float far away
Into eternal space
And God's silence
Where I'll watch your face
And find patience and grace
In every line there

Jim Clark
10-30-2004, 09:19 AM
I'll go with The Walkmen's last two tracks on their same-named disc:
"Bows & Arrows" and "Thinking of a Dream I Had" -- very Dylanesque style of singing and plenty of jangly guitars -- these babies rock.

Cheers,
audiobill

So it's not just me then, good. Haven't read much about this disc but I just got it last week. It's the Dylanesque quality that acutually turns the songs the other way for me. I'm fighting it the best I can though. For some reason "The Rat" is a track that I think really stands out as the most solid. Mucho gusto-the Rat.

And for a Sat. song I'll go with "Into The Sun" by Mr. Stanard Ridgway.

Here, where the air's too thick to breathe
I'll hit the road now, and take my leave
No-one will care, I'll slip away
Into the sun

Where the clouds all meet the sky
Where the sand blows in your eye
I'll take your hand, we'll walk this land
Into the sun

Lovely mutant desert ballad by the undisputed emporer of such things.

jc

tentoze
10-30-2004, 09:55 AM
Hey Bill,

Do you have "Everyone Who Pretended To Like Me Is Gone"? If not, I'll gladly donate it to you just to get it outta my house.

audiobill
10-30-2004, 02:25 PM
Hey Bill,

Do you have "Everyone Who Pretended To Like Me Is Gone"? If not, I'll gladly donate it to you just to get it outta my house.

If you're cleaning house, tentoze, I'd be more than glad to oblige. Thanks!!

BTW, Joseph Arthur's "Our Shadows Will Remain" sounds like it must be an incredibly deep disc, based upon your comments on the board. 2000's "Come To Where I'm From" is the only of his I have & it's very poetic and moving.

Cheers,
Bill

tentoze
10-30-2004, 04:23 PM
If you're cleaning house, tentoze, I'd be more than glad to oblige. Thanks!!{/QUOTE]

Done deal.

[QUOTE]BTW, Joseph Arthur's "Our Shadows Will Remain" sounds like it must be an incredibly deep disc, based upon your comments on the board. 2000's "Come To Where I'm From" is the only of his I have & it's very poetic and moving.

Cheers,
Bill
Just my small opinion, but it has blown me away. Keep yr eyes peeled for the Walkmen cd- it may have somthing hitch-hike along.......... ;)