Bipolar Rear Surround Placement [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bipolar Rear Surround Placement

edmcgee
10-29-2004, 09:15 AM
Hi guys,

I am new here and need advice. I know this topic has probably been discussed to death but I am having problems searching for a topic similar to my situation. I have my HT set up in a 15X20 room. My center and Front mains are against front 20' wall and my sofa AGAINST the rear 20' wall. I have finally bought a pair of bipolar Definitive BPX's for my rear surrounds and need info on the best placement. I have read recommendations for both placing on side walls facing sofa and rear walls facing forward. The problem with mounting them on the side directly facing the sofa is that there would only be about 1.5' of space between the speaker and the rear wall. (don't know if this is a problem) Definitive actually recommends placing them on the rear wall on either side of the sofa in a situation where the sofa is against the rear wall. I want to make sure that I can HEAR the surrounds for both theater and 5.1 music. By the way the BPX's fire left and right at an angle. Any recommendation on placement would be greatly appreciated. I am torn between the side walls facing sofa or rear walls facing forward. Sorry this is so long.

Thanks,

Ed McGee :confused:

nightflier
10-29-2004, 09:46 AM
I am loath to contradict the manufacturer, but I have had much better results placing them on the sides. I also would move the couch forward, if possible. Even a couple of feet will make a difference. The bipolars will reflect off the back wall (when mounted to the sides), but if you are too close to the back wall the 'effect' won't be as satisfying.

At leats that is what I found while I had a 5.1 setup. I later added a pair of direct radiating speakers to the rear walls (for 7.1 sound) afterwards and liked that even better.

PAT.P
10-29-2004, 03:30 PM
[QUOTE=edmcgee]Hi guys,

I am new here and need advice. I know this topic has probably been discussed to death but I am having problems searching for a topic similar to my situation. I have my HT set up in a 15X20 room. My center and Front mains are against front 20' wall and my sofa AGAINST the rear 20' wall. I have finally bought a pair of bipolar Definitive BPX's for my rear surrounds and need info on the best placement. I have read recommendations for both placing on side walls facing sofa and rear walls facing forward.
I got the Dahlquist QX-25RA These are position at 3feet above headrest of couch on each side ! These sound great where they are my living room is 26x16 the sound fills the room at any seating (love seat on one side ahd chair on other side of couch)If you position them on side wall and your couch is in the middle of the room thats 7feet away from your couch on each side(IF YOUR SOFA IS 6 FEET LONG 20feet -6 feet for couch leaves you 7feet on each side) will not sound as good ! On side of sofa on speaker stand might be possible (if these could be seated on speaker stand )Try different ways and your ears will tell you!PAT.P :D

edmcgee
10-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the good info nightflier and pat... I will experiment. Nightflier, in your situation where you mounted them on the sides, how close to the rear wall were your speakers? If I were to mount mine directly to the side of the couch they would be about a foot and a half off the rear wall pointing directly at my ear.

Also...

Pat, how far to the left or right did you have your speakers mounted in relationship to the edges of your couch?...

Thanks Gentleman,

ED

PAT.P
10-29-2004, 05:23 PM
:)
Thanks for the good info nightflier and pat... I will experiment. Nightflier, in your situation where you mounted them on the sides, how close to the rear wall were your speakers? If I were to mount mine directly to the side of the couch they would be about a foot and a half off the rear wall pointing directly at my ear.

Also...

Pat, how far to the left or right did you have your speakers mounted in relationship to the edges of your couch?...

Thanks Gentleman,

ED
THEY ARE EVEN WITH THE OUTSIDE OF HARMREST ! PAT.P :)

nightflier
11-01-2004, 02:32 PM
...how close to the rear wall were your speakers?

I had a doorway on the left side of my seating position so I couldn't mount them there. I would say they are about two feet in front of my ears and three feet above.

I should also mention that (because I had wooden floors), placing a rug on the floor and acoustic treatments on the side walls where the front L/R speakers reflected, helped improve the sound considerably as well.