SAUCERFUL of SECRETS by Nicholas Schaffner; book review (brief) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : SAUCERFUL of SECRETS by Nicholas Schaffner; book review (brief)

MasterCylinder
10-29-2004, 09:01 AM
This book is a very good read on all aspects of the PINK FLOYD saga........begins at the time the characters meet at "art" school and goes right up to the Division Bell.......all periods of the band's life is in-depth.

Includes a generous amount of information on Syd Barrett, in fact, DARK SIDE OF THE MOON does not show up until the middle of the book.

Very interesting twists are revealed that determined the (lucky) fate of this band -- and it's failures and successes.

Ever notice how every British rocker from the sixties met their band-mates at "art" school ? That phenomenon is explained here too.

Highly recommended.

BinFrog
11-05-2004, 05:23 AM
I agree this is a great book. I have read a fee Pink Floyd books (and have a couple more lined up), and this one gives the best overall picture of the band without being too biased.

MasterCylinder
11-09-2004, 10:06 AM
Yes...............I love the middle section of this book where the band is in a transition phase........FROM Barrett TO Gilmore.

Gilmore tries to carry on the tradition of the Barrett sound and product during UMMAGUMMA, MEDDLE and ATOM HEART MOTHER......he works hard to promote the band and carry on as he was expected to do.........however, privately and alone at home, he is convinced the music is complete ****..........he does not like the result and really never cared for "The Pink Floyd Sound".

Once Barrett has been successfully removed (physically) from the band (and the business) Waters creates the basis for DARK SIDE OF THE MOON, an attempt to continue the tradition again but the space theme takes a different turn.........Waters is now the writer for the band because no other member is creating anything..........a void has been left with Barrett's departure. Gilmore is chosen to sing the lead on most tracks because he has the most suitable voice in the band...........a strategic error that Waters will later regret when Gilmore tours the World without Waters and with the band name of Pink Floyd.

Fascinating stuff.

Troy
11-09-2004, 11:08 AM
It's a strategic error if all Waters cares about is the business aspect of the band and if he intended to have the band break up all along.

Fact is, Gilmour WAS the right geezer to sing that stuff of the available voices in the band.

Talking Heads was formed out of an art school called Rhode Island School of Design. It happens in America too. Art school is a fertile place for imaginative things in ALL media to flower. Art rock springing from art school should not come as a surprise at all.

Sounds like an interesting book.

MasterCylinder
11-09-2004, 11:17 AM
The surprise was this:

In England, all the kids that can't cut the mustard in the common schools are sent to "art" school.............the better students that attend those, delve into architecture.........Mason and Waters met in those classes.

Anywho..............all these art school meetings and hook-ups make much more sense now that I realize that was fertile ground for meeting the boys that could give a **** about "normal" subjects (and people).

Dusty Chalk
11-09-2004, 06:41 PM
Actually, I thought they mixed their voices quite well. Gilmour on the prettier stuff, Waters on the grittier, more sarcastic stuff, some multi-part harmonies.

But...you know...meh...whatever...

Hyfi
11-19-2004, 05:00 PM
Damn I just searched this post out having just aquired a copy of PF's Saucer Full of Secrets. You know, the MUSIC!

Hehe, Anyway, strange disk indeed. I'm likeing Obscured By Clouds better. Love the classic Gilmour rifs.