Definitive Technology or Velodyne Sub? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Definitive Technology or Velodyne Sub?

Marc B.
10-29-2004, 08:03 AM
Which sounds better for music and H.T.
A VELODYNE CHT12 or a DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY Pro 100 TL.
Thanks for any info?
Marc

topspeed
10-29-2004, 09:28 AM
I haven't heard the Velo, but I'm not a huge fan of the DefTech Pro series. Kinda boomy IMO and while you can get away with this in HT, it destroys any hope you have melding your sub with your mains for music. I actually have the previous gen DefTech Powerfield series sub and it's much faster and more controlled in comparison.

Now, their SuperCubes are whole 'nother thing...

vr6ofpain
10-29-2004, 10:50 AM
I have never actually listened to any Definitive Tech stuff, but I believe it is pretty high end. You will probably pay a large sticker price.

Regarding their subs, I would say you should definately listen to them, because I do recall their older design was a bandpass of some type, with only ports leting the sound out(the driver is not visible). THey may have changed their design.

All I know is that I have never really thought of band-pass designs as being high end(based off of car audio bandpass boxes). They seem to be able to put out quite a lot of bass for the driver, but not exactly clean sound. I really don't think that this can be directly compared to other designs though.

Velodyne on the other hand has some really nice stuff and some lower quality stuff. I have one of their older designs, the VA-series. It has a forward firing active driver and a downward firing passive radiator. Considering it is a single 8" with a 10" downward firing, the sub makes incredible bass(which is also well controlled). I always wished I could have heard the 12" front firing, 15" passive radiator version, probably insane. There FSR and FSX servo subs were also great. Every time I see one on ebay I watch it, I would love to be able to score one of the 10" servo's from then. (though I my basis of these is purely on reviews). They also had a CT-series that kinda blowed....but they were affordable.

Apparently their new line of servo subs are very good. They come suppplied with a microphone, remote, and software to equalize it to the room. Pretty sweet if you ask me. One of the reviews in Stereophile uses the equalizer portion of the sub to test other subs. That is an indorsment if there ever was one(kinda like a new reference sub).

Another highly regarded sub is the Paradigm Servo 15" sub. Very recommended.

PAT.P
10-29-2004, 03:58 PM
Cant Tell You ! But Sub Should Be Audition Same As You Do Speaker !!!pat.p :d

s dog
10-30-2004, 08:54 PM
Which sounds better for music and H.T.
A VELODYNE CHT12 or a DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY Pro 100 TL.
Thanks for any info?
Marc I just happen to check out a definitive super cube today, It had a 8'' woofer and a 1200 watt amp the thing is very small but it is heavy as sin and was built like a tank, It sounded really good but they had it in a 30 by 25 ft showroom i dont know what it would sound like in my 18 by 12 room , they wanted $900.00 bucks for it ,i dont know if that is a good deal or not , im just looking around right now cant make up my mind if i want a HDTV or a really nice sub only have enough money for one or the other i hate that like to have them both

chimera128
10-30-2004, 09:05 PM
NEVER pay retail on Definitive Technology products. As for the boominess of the Prosub series, placement is key as with any sub(a rag stuffed in the port did wonders too =D). I had the 100.6 package and didn't think the sub was boomy at all. If you like the sound of the Supercube II I would still listen to other products in the same price range and beneath. HSU makes some good subs starting around $400 and sells them at CompUSA so it should be an easy task finding one around where you live. The supercube II is expensive because of the technology it takes to make a very small enclosure make huge amounts of bass. If you like it though you should at least try to get $200 off of the MSRP. As for what it would sound like in your room, I would say it would sound even better than at the dealer because you will be able to fool around with placement. Hope this helps.

bignerd100
11-18-2004, 09:05 AM
Yes lets all beat the retail price down to dealer cost. After all, it should be their privilege to do buisnes with us right?

If you have the chance to demo any of the Martin-Logan stuff please do. The Grotto retails for $995 and is awesome. Servo controlled plus a 12db cut/gain knob centered at 25Hz. This will help combat some boominess experianced with room modes or poor placement of the sub.

The Dynamo retails for $400 less and does almost all that the Grotto does. It is also physicaly smaller which allows for better room placement. It lacks the servo control and the 25Hz adjustment but is still very impressive.

Ask the dealer to let you demo one at home. That is the only way you can know what it sounds like.