Halloween marathons [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Halloween marathons

dean_martin
10-29-2004, 07:37 AM
Which cable networks/movie channels have the best horror movie marathons this year? When do they start? Any of the commercial-free movie channels doing anything special for Halloween? I've always checked this out ahead of time, but Halloween slipped up on me this year.

JSE
10-29-2004, 08:00 AM
I "THINK" Spike TV has a marathon this year. Not sure about the movies though.

JSE

dean_martin
10-29-2004, 09:06 AM
I "THINK" Spike TV has a marathon this year. Not sure about the movies though.

JSE

Thanks, JSE. In years past I think Sci-fi, Turner Classic and AMC have run marathons or horror movie blocks but I just haven't looked into it yet for this year. Scary movies and football would make a decent low-key weekend!

Worf101
10-29-2004, 10:47 AM
It was an entire night of Universal Originals. Starting with "Dracula" and running the gamut all the way to "Son of Frankenstein". Good stuff. I'm sure AMC will do something as will Sci-Fi Channel.

Da Worfster :cool:

dean_martin
10-30-2004, 08:58 PM
Which cable networks/movie channels have the best horror movie marathons this year? When do they start? Any of the commercial-free movie channels doing anything special for Halloween? I've always checked this out ahead of time, but Halloween slipped up on me this year.

It's Sat. night and I stumbled upon a block of Dario Argento horror films on Independent Film Channel - Inferno, Deep Red and Suspiria. Just watched Inferno (a/k/a Tenenbra). The plot is a little messy. The interesting thing about this film is the use of unnatural lighting, particularly blues, reds and yellows. These colors are also used in Suspiria which IMO is a much better/scarier film. Mario Bava, another Italian director, also used blue, red and yellow lighting quite effectively. Interestingly, Lamberto Bava, Mario's son, was Argento's assistant director on Inferno. The Italian Giallos and slasher/horror films are pretty cool. One of Bava's pictures was basically the groundwork for the early Friday the 13th films. Argento collaborated with Sergio Leone on the script for Once Upon a Time in the West. Gotta go. Deep Red (a/k/a Profondo Rosso) is starting.