Element dimensions/spacing on the Winegard HD6065P FM Antenna? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Element dimensions/spacing on the Winegard HD6065P FM Antenna?

1Yankee
10-29-2004, 05:22 AM
Greetings guys. Question. I have a Winegard YA-1713 VHF Hi-band 100" yagi and a RS VU-190XR which i don't use and eventually wound up eating (antenna return policies swallow don't they?) and soon to be butchered/modded.(RS into the Winegard). I'm currently using the RS 15-2163 for my FM listening now, but I know Winegard nor any other antenna manufactuer would never disclose element diameter and spacing.(can you blame them?). I know that the HD6065P is very similar in size to it's cousin the 1713. I'm looking to Dremel out and trim the elements of the VU190XR and installing them on the WG. BTW i did a few keyword searches in Google under Yagi construction, 10 element FM Yagi, and a few other keywords and found a few helpful sites, but dimensions and spacing are not as detailed. Do you know of or think any yagi design software would go into further detail? I originally was going to send this message to TB, but i said what the heck. Thanks guys.

Tony_Montana
11-01-2004, 03:23 PM
I still don't understand what you are trying to do.

If you are trying to build your own antenna, since it will be exposed to weather elements, it have to be constructed solidly. And spacing and length of elements are critical. I got some books on antenna if you need more info as how to go about this.

1Yankee
11-02-2004, 09:55 AM
I'm tring to covert a Winegard YA-1713 into a Winegard HD6065P FM antenna using the VHF elements/parts from the Radio Shack VU-190XR. I already have a source for antenna parts just in case i need some more which is : http://www.dxengineering.com/ whenever you're interested in the near future. Any advise, help or resources would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Tony_Montana
11-02-2004, 07:21 PM
Ok. Here is the magic number...468

Since antenna is for FM, a center frequency of 100 MHz (88-108 MHz) is what we will go on. For the length of the Driver (feedline), dividing 468/100 will give us 4.8 feet (1/2 wavelength). That will be the length of the driver.

For the Reflector (element behind the Driver), the spacing to the Driver should be between 4.8 to 2.4 feet (1/2 to 1/4 wavelength). The length of Reflector is given as slight longer than Driver length. Looking at some models, the length of Reflector should be around 5.6 feet.

For the Directors (elements in front of Driver), spacing between 1/2 to 1/4 wavelength is recommended (about 30 inches..although spacing can vary according to design). For Director length, slightly shorter than the driver is recommended (around 3.6 feet).

Here is the link for more info and graphs:

http://www.geocities.com/icdx_australia/band1_TVDX_aerials.html

1Yankee
11-04-2004, 08:23 AM
Hey Tony thank's alot that was some serious useful info and a very nice link as well. Kinda what i was lookin' for. You're the man. I'll remember that magic number 468. Best regards.[QUOTE=Tony_Montana]

Tony_Montana
11-04-2004, 10:24 PM
Thank for bringing up the subject. I learned a lot also as I was getting rusty in this area.

Good luck :)