Looking For Speaker Stands [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Speaker Stands

magictooth
10-28-2004, 04:30 PM
I'm looking for some new speaker stands. I need a pair of 24" stands. They need to be able to hold a capacity of about 100 lbs. Any suggestions? I'm looking for good and cheap and hopefully available in Canada.

N. Abstentia
10-28-2004, 06:38 PM
Skylan is in Canada!

http://www.skylanstands.com/stands.htm

NickWH
10-31-2004, 06:46 AM
I'm just curious, what 100lb speaker needs to be lifted off the floor a whole two feet!?

PAT.P
10-31-2004, 07:20 AM
Skylan is in Canada!

http://www.skylanstands.com/stands.htm
Very nice site! You could also get them custom built (an option ) or go to Micheals (art supply store and buy the plaster base ,very solid ,comes in all shape and size! will add character to any decor and paint them to your liking) Pat.P :)

RGA
10-31-2004, 02:13 PM
I had Skylans stands and they are excellent - Also using a Turntable base - when i get time I'll post a review. They are inexpensive for what your getting (Ie; you could pay a lot more and get no better) You will have to e-mail them about supporting a 100lb speaker - but they do custom work there.

Woochifer
10-31-2004, 04:55 PM
I would add Sound Anchor to the list of options. They cost more, but with 100 lbs. you need something that has rock solid stability. Most speaker stands out there are pack-flat self-assembly. The Sound Anchor stands are welded together into one piece and you can specify top plate sizes up to 14"x14" or go with a three or four post design for maximum rigidity. I use a pair of their adjustable studio stands for my surrounds (each weigh 28 lbs.), which can extend up to 45" and each weigh 65 lbs. The optional platform for those stands can support 100 lbs. and their nonadjustable stands can easily support that weight and more.

http://www.soundanchors.com

http://www.soundanchors.com/img297.gif

http://www.soundanchors.com/img304.jpg

PAT.P
10-31-2004, 06:23 PM
They look like they could hold lots of weight! If your living with a wife or girlfreind make sure she approved or else you could be in dog house !!!! Trust me on this ,ask her opinion on a few and let her decide! ( almost got kill on a few decision of mine ) as for speaker stand she like only solid wood and dark ! Pat.P

magictooth
11-01-2004, 08:34 AM
The speakers are Tannoy Studio 15 DMT. I saw a pair of used Premier J-60 for sale for $125 USD available in Canada. The top plate is 8"x9" the footprint of the speakers is about 15"x16" Any ideas on that model? My audio dealer said that he will ask his carpenter whether he can make a set of stands and for how much.

Woochifer
11-01-2004, 03:13 PM
The speakers are Tannoy Studio 15 DMT. I saw a pair of used Premier J-60 for sale for $125 USD available in Canada. The top plate is 8"x9" the footprint of the speakers is about 15"x16" Any ideas on that model? My audio dealer said that he will ask his carpenter whether he can make a set of stands and for how much.

The Premier J series can definitely handle the weight and they are quite stable once you level out the spikes and mass load the stands with sand. $125 is about the same price as the Premier S-series stands that I have, and I can tell you that the J-series is a clear step up.

However, the 8"x9" top plate should be a concern with your speakers, especially with the center of gravity so high. My recollection is that the top plate on those Premier stands have holes at the four corners. This will allow you to either screw the speakers into stands (provided that you're willing to put screws into your speakers), or screw a large piece of wood or other material on top of the stands to give you a larger surface area. (I did this with an old pair of IKEA speaker stands that had a very narrow top plate -- I used a piece of wood as a platform and spaced it from the stand with nylon washers)

magictooth
11-01-2004, 09:12 PM
The Premier J series can definitely handle the weight and they are quite stable once you level out the spikes and mass load the stands with sand. $125 is about the same price as the Premier S-series stands that I have, and I can tell you that the J-series is a clear step up.

However, the 8"x9" top plate should be a concern with your speakers, especially with the center of gravity so high. My recollection is that the top plate on those Premier stands have holes at the four corners. This will allow you to either screw the speakers into stands (provided that you're willing to put screws into your speakers), or screw a large piece of wood or other material on top of the stands to give you a larger surface area. (I did this with an old pair of IKEA speaker stands that had a very narrow top plate -- I used a piece of wood as a platform and spaced it from the stand with nylon washers)
I was thinking that the top plate might be a bit small, but I like your idea of screwing a piece of wood or MDF to the top plate for more stability. I think that'll work great and the price is certainly right. I hate the idea of spending $200-300 for a pair of stands no matter how sturdy.