Uh, oh... RGA... my local... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Uh, oh... RGA... my local...

Jimmy C
10-28-2004, 03:59 PM
...Audio Note dealer doesn't sell 'em anymore.

Well, first of all, it wasn't THAT local - about 60 miles. It was, however, the closest I had (here on Long Island, New York). He has a few brands I was very interested in hearing (and I believe I told you before) AN, Von Schweikert and Spendor.

According to him, the Spendors are the way to go if you wanna pony up. "Beauty" in the mids is the reason. The Von Schweikerts are the "value leader" from reading between the lines... many different priced speakers. His "no-brainer", under $10,000 transducer is the VR4. The other reason he couldn't move them is they NEED (according to him) corner placement. Not too room-friendly, apparently.

He still loves and sells the AN tubed electronics.

As I said, a bit bummed, but I'm not giving up - I still have a store in Manhattan to sample the ANs.

We'll see about those Spendors...

GTF
10-28-2004, 04:14 PM
Where on LI was their an AN dealer?

TIA

GTF

RGA
10-28-2004, 05:28 PM
Yes I know another person who owns Spendors presently and he loves the Audio Note speakers as well - I respect that poster on AA (Jack Gribble) which is why I mentioned spendor when recommending people to give them a try if they're in your area. Apparently it makes a difference WHICH spendor as some are a bit of a miss. I think he shops at VU audio or something somewhere in the States. I know he feels the AN's are better but then they're more expensive and should be better - he used to have the B&W N804. No doubt easily outclassed by the Spendor because they're certainly outclassed by the AN's - which is why I want to heard the Spendors.

I agree that the J and E are far better suited to corners that is the way the Peter Qvortrup wants them set-up. But You should note that Hi-Fi Choice reviews speakers in blind level matched listening panels - and despite not being placed in corners the speakers still won on the merrits of sound and were awarded best buy or recommended tags. I agree with your dealer because I have heard them in and not in corners - not in a corner they can sometimes sound duller. This applies less to the K and the AX models. AN is room friendly. You do have to be careful when positioning in a corner as to how close to the corners you get them - I found that 11 cdm and 75cm was better than 50cm -- but you won't need to spend hours doing this. They don't need to be in a corner - but they do perform best in a corner IMO.

I can't speak to VR and Spendor personally - they're supposed to be very good.

Jimmy C
10-29-2004, 01:50 PM
Where on LI was their an AN dealer?

TIA

GTF

I believe the web was sattothestars.com... someting like that. It's on the AN web, at any rate. Oh, sorry... he is in E. Hampton. Catering to all the wealthy, I suppose :*) I'm curious about the the Spendors (and the VSAs) ... you must make an appointment.

In Moriches? Cool... I'm in Commack - if ya ever wanna "hook up" lemme know. Always eager to hear other's rigs! I briefly talked to "Geoffcin" here - wouldn't mind getting something together... this shouldn't be a solo hobby...lol. I suppose I'm lucky - I have maybe 2.5 friends "into" it. The ".5" refers to a "maybe"... hehe.

Enjoy...

Jimmy C
10-29-2004, 02:08 PM
... to do corner placemet for my "main" system. The side to the left speaker is open (about 10 ft. to the front door) while the right speaker has maybe 3 ft. to the sliding door leading to the backyard. AND they are in front of the the wall unit, firing straight ahead. Not exactly high "W.A.F."... hehe. The point is the M20s still sound balanced... no "leaning", drifting or any other anomalies. Bass is centered, full and satisfying, even at low volume... I'm not messin' with it.

I could do corners in the bedroom, but I would not spend that kinda coin for that purpose. All the old gear makes it's way into the bedroom rig. However - if something betterd the Revels, THEY would be in the bedroom.

I think I'm gonna try some different integrateds... I'm actually very satisfied with the sound I have now, I just wanna see what I MIGHT be missing ;^P

RGA
10-29-2004, 02:26 PM
You could go to CES show - the rooms may not be identical and you won't get the same gear connected. Ie; Audio Note room would be run with all Audio Note. and the VR room would be run presumably by the gear the designer feels is the best match for his speakers. Still it's pretty fair because you know they're set-up the best they can be set up to the designer's intent. maybe take a bit of room problem into account but they can bring room treatments and probably do so.

I

GTF
10-29-2004, 04:48 PM
2.5! That's a lot more then I have. Some of my neighbor's have "STEREO'S" but they are more into HT or LOUD.
Not me.
If you want to stop by, do so. Maybe you'll like the Jordan's.

GTF

Jimmy C
11-01-2004, 03:17 PM
You could go to CES show - the rooms may not be identical and you won't get the same gear connected. Ie; Audio Note room would be run with all Audio Note. and the VR room would be run presumably by the gear the designer feels is the best match for his speakers. Still it's pretty fair because you know they're set-up the best they can be set up to the designer's intent. maybe take a bit of room problem into account but they can bring room treatments and probably do so.

I

We were almost there... the CES Manhattan, I believe 2 years ago. We decided to take our friends from the high school days, both of them have MD. We loaded up their van, about 8 of us altogether. As soon as we got into Queens, the friggin' Ford just shut down... we coasted to the side (luckily!). Well, after my allergies started (ragweed or something), a $350 tow (which I initially paid...lol), and a $500 repair for them, I was bummed! Ha! I COULD have gone the next day, but I didn't have it in me.

From what I hear, the hotel shows are quite crowded and hard to navigate... "great" sound isn't a given, either. Fun? Sure, but I didn't feel like sweating crowded elevators. I'm a wimp...

Funny thing is I bought all 8 tix online... lol. A bit of a loss, but not compared to the van repairs those poor guys had to endure...lol. The van broke down the very next week, also. About $2000 for them, all in all, for the twin weeks... hehe.

The shows seem enticing, I'll get there one day...

GTF
11-01-2004, 06:23 PM
Jimmy you haven't missed much. While I haven't been there in a few years, when I did go the show was noisey, crowded, small rooms, HOT, not a good environment to do any serious listening.
The best thing about the shows was the ability to pickup some good brochures.

GTF