How much power does your HT consume? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How much power does your HT consume?

Weister42
10-28-2004, 08:50 AM
I didn't really thought about this until I got an AC voltmeter plugged into my outlet; my AC voltage drops about 4~8 volts during bass peaks with my current rig, and easily below 110v when I was running a Proton D1200 with 2 15" Eclipse Titanium subs. This got me thinking...now isn't such a voltage sag bad for electronics in general? A lot of good HT amps are high current and boasts over 1000 watts RMS, but what if the power requirements are not met?

Say if you have a projector with a 500watt bulb, a HT receiver that is rated at 170x7, two 1000watt powered subs, two tactile drivers and their amps(prob around 2000watt area), and all the other stuff like DVD player, a PC, HDTV receiver and such, you're talking about a system requirements of a few thousand watts at a peak. What I'm trying to say is that unless your house is new or have a room especially wired for such a demanding electrical equipment you're probably not gonna get the best out of it, and may even damage your equipment.

Am I correct?

Smokey
10-28-2004, 06:49 PM
My AC voltage drops about 4~8 volts during bass peaks with my current rig, and easily below 110v when I was running a Proton D1200 with 2 15" Eclipse Titanium subs.

Those reading indicat that power output at your location is not optimum, and it is not norm. Voltage variation of few volts are acceptable (+/- 5V), but it should NEVER drop below 110 volts. The problem could be to wiring in your house (due to high gauge house wiring and/or too much distance to fuse box, rusty contacts), or from the power company-which you can't do anything about.

The best solution might be to use other AC plugs that are not on the same fuse line to power a HT system also.

nightflier
10-29-2004, 08:34 AM
I would also have the power company come in and check things out. I had a similar problem when I set up a pretty fancy system for my father. He didn't want to spend any money to fix things, but I insisted. It turned out that the problem was actually at the edge of his property and they fixed everything gratis.

Geoffcin
10-29-2004, 02:17 PM
I didn't really thought about this until I got an AC voltmeter plugged into my outlet; my AC voltage drops about 4~8 volts during bass peaks with my current rig, and easily below 110v when I was running a Proton D1200 with 2 15" Eclipse Titanium subs.

Am I correct?

That is why I had two dedicated 20 amp lines run to the front wall in my new room. I don't have a power problem now, but in the old room I used to blow the breaker on a regular basis. A dedicated line is a must for any high powered system.

eisforelectronic
10-29-2004, 02:19 PM
There was a time when if I turned all my elecctronics on the fans would all slow down.