How to wire my system... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How to wire my system...

cjtalbot
10-28-2004, 07:34 AM
Hey all,

Real newbie here.

Does anyone know of any sites/resources that have schematics/diagrams on how I would wire my system?

Here are the components I'm working with:

Time Warner Cable Box: Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100
Home Theater Receiver: Pioneer VSX D812K
DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS775V
TV: 32” FD Trinitron® WEGA® TV KV-32FS120

Other:

Airport Express with mini-to-TOSLINK Optical for streaming MP3
PS2 with TOSLINK and/or RCA

I was able to find a PDF that does show a diagram on how to connect such a system:

http://support.charter.com/EMSArticles/CATVSupport/CableBox/SA_2100_3100_User's_guide.pdf

(not sure why that link isn't working...you may have to cut and paste into browser)

But I wanted to know if indeed that diagram is acurate, and if it'll give me the best pic and sound quality.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

JDaniel
10-28-2004, 08:28 AM
Hey all,

Real newbie here.

Does anyone know of any sites/resources that have schematics/diagrams on how I would wire my system?

Here are the components I'm working with:

Time Warner Cable Box: Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100
Home Theater Receiver: Pioneer VSX D812K
DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS775V
TV: 32” FD Trinitron® WEGA® TV KV-32FS120

Other:

Airport Express with mini-to-TOSLINK Optical for streaming MP3
PS2 with TOSLINK and/or RCA

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

I don't know of any websites, but I think I can offer some suggestions. Here goes:

1. Scientific Atlanta Cable Box to Video Input on Pioneer Receiver. Use best connection available - Component if available, or more likely, S-Video. You must also connect both the digital (coax or toslink) and RCA composite (red/white) audio connections to the corresponding audio input for the video input (i.e. if Video 1, then audio 1). On my Scientific Atlanta I have to have both connections. Digital channels go over digital coax, analog over composite. If you only hook up the digital, then you'll get no sound on the analog broadcasts.

2. Sony DVD Player - Component video to DVD video input. Digital connection (coax or toslink) to DVD audio input.

3. Pioneer Receiver - video out to TV's video in. If both the cable box and dvd player use the same type of connection (component or s-video), then you only have to have one cable out to the TV's input. This is ideal IMO. If you used component on the dvd, and s-video on the cable box, then you'll have to have two video outputs from the Pioneer to the TV's video inputs. Alternatively, you could bypass the video connections to the receiver and connect them directly to the TV (purists would say this is better - no signal degradation). I use S-video for everything, because that eliminates having to switch between sources on the TV when going from Cable Box to DVD to VCR.

4. I have no idea what an Airport Express is, but simply connect it to your Pioneer using one of the available toslink audio inputs (cd, md, audio 2, 3 etc - just pick one).

Finally, some unsolicited advice, assuming you have a surround system: buy/borrow an SPL meter and then buy/rent a calibration dvd (Avia, Sound & Vision HT etc), and calibrate your system and speakers. This was the biggest improvement I made to my system. And it is relatively inexpensive to do.

Good luck.

JD

topspeed
10-28-2004, 08:36 AM
The best installation guide I've used is the Home Theater Guide from Crutchfield. I got if for free when I ordered my surround mounting brackets but you can get it by itself. The best part of the guide, aside from the easy to understand diagrams, is the set of cable stickers that come with it. By labeling all of your interconnects, you remove a lot of the confusion involved in getting everything hooked up. This guide (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qPL2eECWWsM/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=16600&I=8286AVREF5) was far easier to understand than the one that came with my receiver. The cable labels are worth the 13 bones alone, especially when you switch out or upgrade your equipment.

Hope this helps.

cjtalbot
10-28-2004, 08:49 AM
3. Pioneer Receiver - video out to TV's video in. If both the cable box and dvd player use the same type of connection (component or s-video), then you only have to have one cable out to the TV's input. This is ideal IMO. If you used component on the dvd, and s-video on the cable box, then you'll have to have two video outputs from the Pioneer to the TV's video inputs. Alternatively, you could bypass the video connections to the receiver and connect them directly to the TV (purists would say this is better - no signal degradation). I use S-video for everything, because that eliminates having to switch between sources on the TV when going from Cable Box to DVD to VCR.

JD - Thank you so much!

This helps a ton.

Indeed, I can only run s-video out of my cable box to the receiver, and component or s-video out from the DVD.

I didn't realize I could just by-pass the video cables (either s or component) past the receiver and run them right into the TV though, that seems to me like it might be the simplest solution as well. Does anyone know of any negs to doing it as such?

I guess I'll run s-video from the cable directly to the TV, and component video from the DVD to the TV and see how that goes.

Thanks again,

Chris

cjtalbot
10-28-2004, 08:50 AM
The best installation guide I've used is the Home Theater Guide from Crutchfield. I got if for free when I ordered my surround mounting brackets but you can get it by itself. The best part of the guide, aside from the easy to understand diagrams, is the set of cable stickers that come with it. By labeling all of your interconnects, you remove a lot of the confusion involved in getting everything hooked up. This guide (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qPL2eECWWsM/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=16600&I=8286AVREF5) was far easier to understand than the one that came with my receiver. The cable labels are worth the 13 bones alone, especially when you switch out or upgrade your equipment.

Hope this helps.

Thanks man!

I'm gong to go order the book right now...seems like exactly what someone like me needs to get off on the right foot.

Thanks again,

Chris

JDaniel
10-28-2004, 09:17 AM
JD - Thank you so much!

This helps a ton.

I didn't realize I could just by-pass the video cables (either s or component) past the receiver and run them right into the TV though, that seems to me like it might be the simplest solution as well. Does anyone know of any negs to doing it as such?

I guess I'll run s-video from the cable directly to the TV, and component video from the DVD to the TV and see how that goes.

Thanks again,

Chris
Chris - the only negative to what you describe (bypassing the receiver) is that you now have to change the video input on the TV, and the audio input on the receiver. This is an extra step, and possibly having to use a 2nd remote over routing everything through the receiver with the same types of connections.

I'd suggest trying the connections both ways - (1) as you describe above, and (2) using all S-video. If you don't see a noticeable improvement in Component over S-video, I think you'll find the convenience factor of using all the same type of video connections worth it.

You probably already realize this, but your receiver can't "convert" video signals (very few receivers can - and most are high dollar) from say S-video to component, or composite to S-video. That's why two different video output connections are required from the receiver if you input two different types. Whatever goes in, must go out.

Also, I forgot to mention, but when you connect your Cable box audio using both digital and rca connections, you may have to set your Pioneer Video Input to "Auto Detect" a digital signal. The default is usually "off". Otherwise, you may never get a Digital Signal on say HBO Dolby Digital 5.1 broadcasts.

Just my 2cents worth. Hope it helps.

JD

cjtalbot
10-28-2004, 10:24 AM
Chris - the only negative to what you describe (bypassing the receiver) is that you now have to change the video input on the TV, and the audio input on the receiver. This is an extra step, and possibly having to use a 2nd remote over routing everything through the receiver with the same types of connections.

I'd suggest trying the connections both ways - (1) as you describe above, and (2) using all S-video. If you don't see a noticeable improvement in Component over S-video, I think you'll find the convenience factor of using all the same type of video connections worth it.
JD

Cool. I'll give that a shot. Didn't realize I have to use the 2nd remote, but that may not be too big a deal. I'll do what you suggest and than see if there is any difference between my s-video and component picture.

You probably already realize this, but your receiver can't "convert" video signals (very few receivers can - and most are high dollar) from say S-video to component, or composite to S-video. That's why two different video output connections are required from the receiver if you input two different types. Whatever goes in, must go out.

Dude...I had no idea about that. Thanks for the heads up. I just assumed (again...I'm a real newbie at this) that you could just send in the video signal to the receiver one way, and take it out how-ever you wished. Now that you've explained it though, it makes sense.

So...Since I can ONLY send the video from my cable box to the receiver via either s-video or reg co-axial, than I can't output component video from the reciever to my TV anyway, becuase I never brought it in that way? Right?

So I guess I'll have to run S-Video from the cable ---> to receiver --> to TV

And than maybe I can run component from the DVD --> to receiver --> to TV

And than like you said, try the S-Video on the DVD as well (instead of the component) and if there's no big differnece, than just do two s-video in, and one out to the TV.

Sound about right?

Thanks again man,

C

JDaniel
10-28-2004, 11:12 AM
So...Since I can ONLY send the video from my cable box to the receiver via either s-video or reg co-axial, than I can't output component video from the reciever to my TV anyway, becuase I never brought it in that way? Right?

Right (on the component connection). And wrong.
Actually, I think you have part of this wrong. You should have three types of video connections out of your cable box: S-Video, Composite (single yellow RCA - not to be confused with Component Video, which is 3 separate connectors), and reg. coax. You can only run S-video or Composite video to your receiver, not regular coax. There are no regular coax connections on receivers. This is to be used if going to a vcr, or directly to a TV without an HT receiver. I'd forget about reg. coax in your setup as described.

So I guess I'll have to run S-Video from the cable ---> to receiver --> to TV

And than maybe I can run component from the DVD --> to receiver --> to TV

And than like you said, try the S-Video on the DVD as well (instead of the component) and if there's no big differnece, than just do two s-video in, and one out to the TV.

Sound about right?

Thanks again man,

C
Yep - sounds about right. Seriously consider the calibration. Most TVs are not calibrated properly out of the box, and a lot of it depends on your room too (how much natural light etc.). And speakers are almost never level-balanced in a room without tweaking each channel. Makes a big difference.

Good luck.

JD

cjtalbot
10-28-2004, 11:16 AM
Right (on the component connection). And wrong.
Actually, I think you have part of this wrong. You should have three types of video connections out of your cable box: S-Video, Composite (single yellow RCA - not to be confused with Component Video, which is 3 separate connectors), and reg. coax. You can only run S-video or Composite video to your receiver, not regular coax. There are no regular coax connections on receivers. This is to be used if going to a vcr, or directly to a TV without an HT receiver. I'd forget about reg. coax in your setup as described.

Ah..you're right on all counts here..my bad.

Yep - sounds about right. Seriously consider the calibration. Most TVs are not calibrated properly out of the box, and a lot of it depends on your room too (how much natural light etc.). And speakers are almost never level-balanced in a room without tweaking each channel. Makes a big difference.

I really will. After I get the system up and running, I'll go back and see if I can rent one of those things from my local AV store, and than pick up the special DVD.

Thanks again JD, I sincerly appreciate all the help you've provided today.

Take care man,

C