palm pilot as remote? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : palm pilot as remote?

hmmmm
10-28-2004, 05:51 AM
I have a pretty new Sony Clie with wirless lan. I've read somewhere that you can use these to run your audio/video equiptment. Can I do this and what would I need? I have a wireless router in my house that it works with but I haven't used it for much except to get e-mails when I'm not at my computer. Thanks!

IsmaVA
10-28-2004, 06:06 AM
IYou can use the IR emitter of your PDA (if it has one) to control your devices if you have the require software and remote codes . . . or . . .

You can access your computer wirelessly from your PDA and use a control software with a IR interface to control all your devices (and lights and many other things).

"Girder" is one of many programs designed to do just that.

hmmmm
10-28-2004, 06:23 AM
IYou can use the IR emitter of your PDA (if it has one) to control your devices if you have the require software and remote codes . . . or . . .

You can access your computer wirelessly from your PDA and use a control software with a IR interface to control all your devices (and lights and many other things).

"Girder" is one of many programs designed to do just that.

Thanks, that was fast. I'll try to find the software.

IsmaVA
10-28-2004, 06:37 AM
www.girder.nl

Lensman
10-28-2004, 09:44 AM
I have a pretty new Sony Clie with wirless lan. I've read somewhere that you can use these to run your audio/video equiptment. Can I do this and what would I need? I have a wireless router in my house that it works with but I haven't used it for much except to get e-mails when I'm not at my computer. Thanks!

I tried this a couple of years back on a Palm Pilot and it did work reasonably well with one exception. The Palm's IR emitter was much weaker than that of a typical remote, so it really didn't work so well when Palm was more than about 5 ft. away from my components. I don't know if this has changed with newer PDAs, so I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's tried it recently.