Booberry Bloat [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Booberry Bloat

tentoze
10-27-2004, 10:05 PM
Call me a Luddite, or whatever- I listened to the first three cuts (which seemed to go on forever) of Blueberry Boat (the next big thing) and pulled it. Dreadful, self-absorbed nonsense underlayed by silly synths. I guess I am a one-twang pony afterall. That is BAD music.

:(:rolleyes:

Slosh
10-27-2004, 11:24 PM
Okay, you're a luddite :D

This ain't the kinda thing that'll you get right away. This takes several spins to fully absorb. You may never appreciate it and that's fine but at least you will regret calling it bad music :p

NP: Rogue Wave - Out Of The Shadow

Jim Clark
10-28-2004, 05:26 AM
That's pretty much what I though, especially during the first play. My immediate impression, and it was so strong that it still remains fresh in my mind is "what side show circus tent was this band found under?" I mean, like a most of us I already get odd looks from my friends when it comes to music anyway. I can't even begin to imagine what they'd say if they heard this. Trust me, I'll never find out. Still, I played it through a couple of more times and my reaction tempered a bit more each time. I'm not saying it's ever going to make my top 10, or top 20 but I suppose if I give it enough time that it just might fit in there somewhere in the top half of my pool, maybe higher but who knows. In the meantime I've got some adjusting to do with this new Futureheads CD. You'd think that angular new wavy sounds would instantly appeal and in some ways it does. Still there's a herky-jerky XTC quality that runs throughout that seems to have the opposite effect so far.

jc

BarryL
10-28-2004, 05:44 AM
Call me a Luddite, or whatever- I listened to the first three cuts (which seemed to go on forever) of Blueberry Boat (the next big thing) and pulled it. Dreadful, self-absorbed nonsense underlayed by silly synths. I guess I am a one-twang pony afterall. That is BAD music.

:(:rolleyes:

I've learned from Mindgonehaywire that there is no such thing as Bad music. It's only your opinion, which apparently doesn't count for anything because everyone has their own opinion, and opinions have no basis in reality. Besides, when you criticize something that someone else likes, you might hurt their feelings, which is, according to MGH, a bad thing to do. Apparently, if you read Hit Men, an expose on corruption and mob infiltration into music companies and radio stations (not to mention the mob ties to The Rolling Stones and all those other bands and Americans who smoked reefer in the 1970s), you will be set straight.

(Sorry MGH, I'm just having fun. LOL. You too are entitled to your own opinion and satirical representation or misrepresentation of my viewpoint.)

Dusty Chalk
10-28-2004, 06:45 AM
It's silly music, you have to be in a certain frame of mind to appreciate it. Almost a Frank Zappa sort of thing going on.

Davey
10-28-2004, 07:25 AM
Still my album of the year. Loved it from the first listen and love it even more now. Can't understand a reaction like yours, but you certainly aren't alone with it :)

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/dbireviews.htm#The_Fiery_Furnaces_Blueberry_Boat

BarryL
10-28-2004, 07:30 AM
It's silly music, you have to be in a certain frame of mind to appreciate it. Almost a Frank Zappa sort of thing going on.

The Zappa reference has me interested. I'll have to look into this one. Plus, it has synthesizers? Bonus!

Stone
10-28-2004, 07:34 AM
How bad does it seem?
It makes you wanna scream?

Troy
10-28-2004, 07:38 AM
Me and Barry, what a couple of weirdos.

I think I need to hear it too. XTC AND Zappa? What do you expect?

Someone bake me a blooberry pie?

BarryL
10-28-2004, 08:48 AM

You're weirder than me. I've seen you without the fish-eye lens, and there's very little difference!

To quote Troy: "You NUT!"

tentoze
10-28-2004, 09:43 AM
Aw, Barry, you and J should just hug each other and make up.

PS: There is indeed such a thing as BAD music- I listened to some last nite.

O, forgot to add- IMO. ;)

-Jar-
10-28-2004, 10:41 AM

You'll absolutely HATE it.. but I'd be happy to pass along some pie!

you haven't moved in a while have you?

-jar

ForeverAutumn
10-28-2004, 12:07 PM
Aw, Barry, you and J should just hug each other in make-up.

HUG EACH OTHER IN MAKE-UP?!

Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

:D

Troy
10-28-2004, 12:18 PM
You'll absolutely HATE it.. but I'd be happy to pass along some pie!

you haven't moved in a while have you?

-jar

Still on Lyons, yeah.

THANKS! Can't wait to be called a Luddite too!

tentoze
10-28-2004, 12:22 PM
HEY! Who let my ex-wife in here? She's the only one I know who always twisted my words around.....

;) :p

BarryL
10-28-2004, 12:38 PM
Aw, Barry, you and J should just hug each other and make up.

Aww, the jokes on me! MindGoneHaywire is my old pal J? If only I had known. The Manhattan address should have given it away. People shouldn't be allowed to change their moniker. I knew I was in trouble when he said he still had my address.

You're right. I can be civil. J, I apologize for getting stupid about politics on a music board that has been able to remain civil for at least seven or eight years. Really, I didn't know it was you. There's no reason for old tradin' buddies to be disputin about religion and politics. It's a case of mistaken identity.

Was it you who thought I'd be "fun" to party with because of my twisted political opinions?

Thanks for smackin' me straight, Tentoze. Now, who did you used to be? And do I owe you any outstanding comps?

BarryL
10-28-2004, 12:43 PM
Still on Lyons, yeah.

THANKS! Can't wait to be called a Luddite too!

...then send it my way. If you do like it, then send it my way.

Any opinions on the new Canon EOS 20D 8.2 megapixels? No comprende digital?

Troy
10-28-2004, 12:59 PM
Any opinions on the new Canon EOS 20D 8.2 megapixels? No comprende digital?

I'm waiting til I can buy a used 10D off ebay for $50. I'd have to buy AF lenses for it too, dammit!

No one (except a pro shooter doing high-end large-scale reproduction) needs 8.2MP, just like no one needs 400HP station wagons.

Canon does make the best sensor in digital cameras for night and low light shooting. They seem to have the least noise. Most of the night shooters that I know that use digital use the 10D. Their work looks incredibly smooth.

BarryL
10-28-2004, 01:13 PM
I'm waiting til I can buy a used 10D off ebay for $50. I'd have to buy AF lenses for it too, dammit!

Oh great. Now we'll get into an eBay bidding war against each other and I'll win for $60.00. LOL.

Dusty Chalk
10-28-2004, 02:12 PM
No one (except a pro shooter doing high-end large-scale reproduction) needs 8.2MP, just like no one needs 400HP station wagons....and amateur paparazzi. (And no, by that, I don't mean me.)

Secondly, what about the Dodge Magnum (link (http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/magnum.html))? I need one of those.

Troy
10-28-2004, 03:02 PM
What about the Dodge Magnum (link (http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/magnum.html))? I need one of those.

Sorry, I was inaccurate with my figures, a 430 HP station wagon. Why do you need that? Is your penis that small? Just read a road test in R&T magazine. Said the Magnun got 12mpg in real world (ie: leadfoot) driving. Ridiculous. I'd rather have a 125 HP hybrid and get 50mpg. Oh wait, the auto industry insists that "The public doesn't want it". Ridiculous again. It's the oil industry that doesn't want it.

Davey
10-28-2004, 03:09 PM
I'd rather have a 125 HP hybrid and get 50mpg. Oh wait, the auto industry insists that "The public doesn't want it". Ridiculous again. It's the oil industry that doesn't want it.
Hehehe, and they say this when the Toyota Prius has many people sitting on waiting lists for over a year! Oh well, sooner or later.........

Troy
10-28-2004, 03:43 PM
Hehehe, and they say this when the Toyota Prius has many people sitting on waiting lists for over a year! Oh well, sooner or later.........

Yeah, keep in mind that this is the US auto industry we're talking about.

Dig: http://drive.fairfax.com.au/content-new/news/general/2004/02/23/FFXZ5OVDZQD.html

Also keep in mind that the Prius is a relatively limited run vehicle. They just aren't making that many of them. Too bad it's so damn dorky/dowdy looking.

Dusty Chalk
10-28-2004, 07:26 PM
Sorry, I was inaccurate with my figures, a 430 HP station wagon. Why do you need that? Is your penis that small? Just read a road test in R&T magazine. Said the Magnun got 12mpg in real world (ie: leadfoot) driving. Ridiculous. I'd rather have a 125 HP hybrid and get 50mpg. Oh wait, the auto industry insists that "The public doesn't want it". Ridiculous again. It's the oil industry that doesn't want it.Actually, a station wagon is so uncool, that no matter how much one tries to coolify it, it's still a station wagon. So it won't make up for any matter of pen<a>is deficiency or trying to increase my completely lacking sex appeal.

Besides, that's not what I'm trying to do. I read that it was fun to drive. And no, technically, I don't need it.

But you gotta admit, it has a market. That was my point.

Oh, and for the record, I recently bought a new car, and it was closer to the Prius than it was to the Magnum. I don't think hybrid technology is sufficiently "settled down" for me to trust them, although I could have, but my concerns were (a) insufficiently superior gas mileage performance -- the real-world numbers I saw were really not that much better than, for example, a Scion xA; and (b) fear of lack of sufficient (and sufficiently) knowledgeable mechanics.

mad rhetorik
10-29-2004, 08:38 AM

Yeah, I don't dig this either. A <b>boat</b>-load of nonsense, really. Annoyingly precious vocals; songs and lyrics that seem to ramble on forever without any real point; hamfisted transitions; obnoxious, blaring synths; and a very twee, over-the-top, Andrew Lloyd-Webber thing going on. It seriously sounds like a bad Broadway musical at times. Just awful.

(Warning: Rant) And Pitchfork, along with so many others, seem to think The Fiery Furnaces are some sort of Second Coming. Nevermind that The Mars Volta made a equally ambitious and far, far better concept album last year and that got dismissed as "pretentious," while <b>Blueberry Boat</b> is equally "pretentious" (or more so) and everybody's creaming their pants over it. Guess what's pretentious one year is the Next Big Thing the next, given that everybody's coming out with concept albums now.

I don't care what any wanker music critic says--comparing this fruity dribble to anything The Who ever recorded is complete sacrilege. If anything, <b>American Idiot</b> is a far more accurate fit, and I don't understand the big hullabaloo over that album either (sorry ForeverAutumn and Jay, but when I think "Green Day" I think the first three albums, not a modern-day Kinks clone).

All completely IMHO, of course (though that should go without saying). ; )

And BTW I'm with Dusty, the Dodge Magnum ownz. I'm big on that sort of gonzo transportation, and a 400 BHP Hemi-powered rear-drive station wagon is just what the doctor ordered. Imagine the kind of fun you could have in stoplight drags with that thing (total sleeper quality). Of course, right now I've got a '98 Protege; as a poor college student paying out the arse in insurance (despite having no tickets/incidents on my record), probably the best set of wheels for the time being.

Davey
10-29-2004, 09:11 AM
Nevermind that The Mars Volta made a equally ambitious and far, far better concept album last year and that got dismissed as "pretentious," while <b>Blueberry Boat</b> is equally "pretentious" (or more so) and everybody's creaming their pants over it.
Well, not to prolong what has turned into kind of a silly discussion, but if you check I think you'll find that the Comatorium album got much more favorable reviews overall than Blueberry Boat. Not from Pitchfork as you know, but most of the other mags and sites loved it, while BB has gotten very mixed reviews, with some even panning it worse than what our good buddy tentoze said above (see NME for instance which gave it close to a zero rating :)).

But Pitchfork does tend to "pull" some of the smaller zines along with them when they power up the bandwagon and both the Fiery Furnaces and Arcade Fire benefitted greatly this year from Pitchfork raves. But it's no secret that I think both albums deserve the good press they've been getting as a result and I'm glad that more people are being exposed to such creative music that otherwise wouldn't have been. A lot of them will go back and take maybe their first serious listen to Zappa or Bowie or the Who or the Beach Boys or whoever, and that keeps the music alive :)

tentoze
10-29-2004, 09:50 AM
"Well, not to prolong what has turned into kind of a silly discussion..."

Yeh, but it did stir up some chatter in this normally dead zone.

Davey
10-29-2004, 10:03 AM
"Well, not to prolong what has turned into kind of a silly discussion..."

Yeh, but it did stir up some chatter in this normally dead zone.
Yeah, it has been pretty quiet around these parts lately and it's always fun to have a discussion about something that a lot of people have heard, but I still find it silly for a music lover to dismiss such wonderfully adventurous songs such as "Chris Michaels" or "Mason City" or "Chief Inspector Blancheflower" as "fruity dribble". Just doesn't make sense to me. I mean, I'm old enough to have lived through the times when some of their influences were actually played on the radio and I still think this is rather unique and special music.

:confused: but :D

NP: The United States of America (more fruity 60's psych pop dribble :))

Stone
10-29-2004, 10:05 AM
Annoyingly precious vocals; songs and lyrics that seem to ramble on forever without any real point; hamfisted transitions; obnoxious, blaring synths; and a very twee, over-the-top, Andrew Lloyd-Webber thing going on. It seriously sounds like a bad Broadway musical at times. Just awful.

I could see how you (or anyone) wouldn't like the vocals and transitions and synths, and the Andrew Lloyd-Webber thing. However, I don't get the part about the lyrics. The songs tell a story, and if you're not into it, fine, but the songs certainly have a "point," which is to tell a story. It's one of the most creative, not to mention downright enjoyable, albums I've heard in years.

(Warning: Rant) And Pitchfork, along with so many others, seem to think The Fiery Furnaces are some sort of Second Coming. Nevermind that The Mars Volta made a equally ambitious and far, far better concept album last year and that got dismissed as "pretentious," while <b>Blueberry Boat</b> is equally "pretentious" (or more so) and everybody's creaming their pants over it. Guess what's pretentious one year is the Next Big Thing the next, given that everybody's coming out with concept albums now.

I don't care what any wanker music critic says--comparing this fruity dribble to anything The Who ever recorded is complete sacrilege. If anything, <b>American Idiot</b> is a far more accurate fit, and I don't understand the big hullabaloo over that album either (sorry ForeverAutumn and Jay, but when I think "Green Day" I think the first three albums, not a modern-day Kinks clone).

(1) I agree with Davey, there is a lot of panning of this album out there, much of which is similar to yours. I never heard the Mars Volta record because all of the references to prog in the reviews really turned me off, so I won't comment on that.

(2) Sacrilege about the Who? Maybe in your house, but not in mine. I'd rather listen to Blueberry Boat than the Who. There is some Who stuff I really like, but there's a bunch of it I just don't see the appeal in.

(3) Modern-day Kinks clone? Sorry, I don't get that reference either. I don't hear much Kinks influence on American Idiot. I hear much more Buzzcocks, Ramones, and their ilk (and early Green Day). Sure they copped the guitar part from "Picture Book" on one of their songs, but that one isn't on American Idiot. I'm not a big fan of the record, but I don't see the Kinks comparison at all.

mad rhetorik
10-29-2004, 11:29 AM
I could see how you (or anyone) wouldn't like the vocals and transitions and synths, and the Andrew Lloyd-Webber thing. However, I don't get the part about the lyrics. The songs tell a story, and if you're not into it, fine, but the songs certainly have a "point," which is to tell a story. It's one of the most creative, not to mention downright enjoyable, albums I've heard in years.

Hey, cool, I'm glad you enjoy it. It <i>is</i> a pretty different album, I suppose. Some definite influences (Zappa, The Who, XTC, Lloyd-Webber, maybe even Capt. Beefheart), but drawn on in an original way. Still, "original" doesn't necessarily equal "good."

As far as the lyrics are concerned, I know that <b>Blueberry Boat</b> is conceptual. I didn't have a chance to sit down with the lyrics and try to follow the music while reading them. My initial impression was that there are a LOT of lyrics, and they didn't feel like they went anywhere, just very rambling and disjointed. If I listen again while reading the lyrics, a different picture may emerge but since I still strongly disliked it after listening to it (without skipping anything) nearly 3 times through I'm not in any real hurry to repeat the experience.

(1) I agree with Davey, there is a lot of panning of this album out there, much of which is similar to yours. I never heard the Mars Volta record because all of the references to prog in the reviews really turned me off, so I won't comment on that.

(2) Sacrilege about the Who? Maybe in your house, but not in mine. I'd rather listen to Blueberry Boat than the Who. There is some Who stuff I really like, but there's a bunch of it I just don't see the appeal in.

(3) Modern-day Kinks clone? Sorry, I don't get that reference either. I don't hear much Kinks influence on American Idiot. I hear much more Buzzcocks, Ramones, and their ilk (and early Green Day). Sure they copped the guitar part from "Picture Book" on one of their songs, but that one isn't on American Idiot. I'm not a big fan of the record, but I don't see the Kinks comparison at all.

I have read one dissenting "professional" opinion (in NME), but aside from some disgruntled Amazon reviews and some other negative buyer feedback everything else from the critics has been glowing. Then again, you probably read more 'zines then I do, so I accept your point. As far as # 2 is concerned, that's a personal taste thing. I've listened to my dad's Who LPs for years, have nearly worn out my CD copy of <b>Quadrophenia</b>, consider Keith Moon as probably my all-time fave drummer, and my ears still prick up in anticipation when "Won't Get Fooled Again" comes on the radio. So yeah, I'm a pretty big Who fan. And all the <b>Tommy</b>/<b>A Quick One..</b> comparisons gall me a little bit.

As far as Green Day is concerned..perhaps "clone" was a tad harsh, but I'm kinda surprised that more people aren't reminded of The Kinks when it comes to Green Day's most recent albums. When I read the lyrics to <b>American Idiot</b> my first thought was that some of the social/political commentary sounds very similar to <b>Arthur</b> except from an American and not English perspective. The Jam/Buzzcocks/Ramones/Who references make perfect sense too, but I definitely get a Kinks vibe from some of this. Especially most of <b>Warning</b> (and I don't just mean the part where they lifted elements from "Picture Book").

I dunno. Maybe it's just in my head.

...but I still find it silly for a music lover to dismiss such wonderfully adventurous songs such as "Chris Michaels" or "Mason City" or "Chief Inspector Blancheflower" as "fruity dribble". Just doesn't make sense to me. I mean, I'm old enough to have lived through the times when some of their influences were actually played on the radio and I still think this is rather unique and special music.

I have plenty of respect for any band who isn't afraid of taking musical risks, and The Fiery Furnaces definitely have ambition. In fact the unique quality of their music is what attracted me in the first place. However, if I don't like it, I simply don't like it. And trust me, I have <i>tried</i> to like them and I'm still not diggin' it. If you like 'em, all the power to ya. But to my ears at least, they remain "fruity dribble."

tentoze
10-29-2004, 11:43 AM
In best Homer Simpson voice:

"Mmmmmmmm.....fruity dribble..........."

Stone
10-29-2004, 11:56 AM
Still, "original" doesn't necessarily equal "good."

Agreed. I like it and you don't, and that's fine.

As far as the lyrics are concerned, I know that <b>Blueberry Boat</b> is conceptual. I didn't have a chance to sit down with the lyrics and try to follow the music while reading them. My initial impression was that there are a LOT of lyrics, and they didn't feel like they went anywhere, just very rambling and disjointed. If I listen again while reading the lyrics, a different picture may emerge but since I still strongly disliked it after listening to it (without skipping anything) nearly 3 times through I'm not in any real hurry to repeat the experience.

There are a lot of lyrics. Keep in mind that many of the songs are over 7 minutes too. Blueberry Boat is not conceptual in that the whole album is about one topic or the songs all fit together lyrically. There is at least one recurring character, but as far as I can tell, each song stand on its own lyrically. The topics range from a blueberry boat attacked by pirates to searching for a lost dog to working for a cellular phone company.

I have read one dissenting "professional" opinion (in NME), but aside from some disgruntled Amazon reviews and some other negative buyer feedback everything else from the critics has been glowing. Then again, you probably read more 'zines then I do, so I accept your point. As far as # 2 is concerned, that's a personal taste thing. I've listened to my dad's Who LPs for years, have nearly worn out my CD copy of <b>Quadrophenia</b>, consider Keith Moon as probably my all-time fave drummer, and my ears still prick up in anticipation when "Won't Get Fooled Again" comes on the radio. So yeah, I'm a pretty big Who fan. And all the <b>Tommy</b>/<b>A Quick One..</b> comparisons gall me a little bit.

This (http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/fieryfurnaces/blueberryboat/) should give you some idea of the kind of reviews it's received. Plus, the informal reviews and comments I've seen on web boards are just as divided.

As far as Green Day is concerned..perhaps "clone" was a tad harsh, but I'm kinda surprised that more people aren't reminded of The Kinks when it comes to Green Day's most recent albums. When I read the lyrics to <b>American Idiot</b> my first thought was that some of the social/political commentary sounds very similar to <b>Arthur</b> except from an American and not English perspective. The Jam/Buzzcocks/Ramones/Who references make perfect sense too, but I definitely get a Kinks vibe from some of this. Especially most of <b>Warning</b> (and I don't just mean the part where they lifted elements from "Picture Book").

Okay, but I was only talking about American Idiot. I haven't heard the last couple of albums (outside of the "hits" they had off them). I don't get a Kinks vibe, but next time I listen to it, I'll think about it.