Ascend Acoustic's CBM-170 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ascend Acoustic's CBM-170

vr6ofpain
10-27-2004, 01:42 PM
I have heard many people speak about these bookshelves.
After checking out their website I became very intrigued.
Who has here these things personally?
What can you say struck you about them?

Considering their price and 30 day money back guarantee, I might just have to pick these up sometime within the next few months....maybe.

Any insights from a listener of these would be very much appreciated.

Lord Nikon
10-28-2004, 09:57 AM
I got these based on the reviews and recommendations of AR members. These suckers are so clear, and reproduce exactly how the sounds should be. As some members said, this is also a downfall considering it is very easy to notice a bad recording. I do recommend a subwoofer, but I went almost 1 year without one... still amazed at the bass these little suckers do produce. Best money ive spend yet, I highly recommend them.

vr6ofpain
10-28-2004, 03:12 PM
I got these based on the reviews and recommendations of AR members. These suckers are so clear, and reproduce exactly how the sounds should be. As some members said, this is also a downfall considering it is very easy to notice a bad recording. I do recommend a subwoofer, but I went almost 1 year without one... still amazed at the bass these little suckers do produce. Best money ive spend yet, I highly recommend them.

Ya I have a sub that works well with my current 6.5" ported bookshelves, a Velodyne VA-907.2(8" front firing, 10" down firing passive radiator).

I'm probably gonna pick these up. Are they power hungry? 89dB, I doubt it, and my GFA-545 puts out 100watts into 8 ohms. Though honestly the CMT-340M's look pretty impressive to. They aren't even that expensive. Though $348 is really good(CBM-170)!

How is the top end, mellow? I like speakers with a little less air, and a more laid back top end. Please let me know if these are bright or not(I don't think they would be, and hope they aren't).

prash
11-01-2004, 12:19 PM
I have heard many people speak about these bookshelves.
After checking out their website I became very intrigued.
Who has here these things personally?
What can you say struck you about them?

Considering their price and 30 day money back guarantee, I might just have to pick these up sometime within the next few months....maybe.

Any insights from a listener of these would be very much appreciated.

I got the 5.1 (CBM,HTM, VTF2) package 4 yrs ago and have enjoyed every moment of it. I bought them after reading critics and user reviews on this and other AV forums.

I have had no regrets and would recommend them without reservation.Nothing else comes close to the value for money.

-prashanth

metalaaron
11-04-2004, 11:06 AM
i tried the cbm-170 against my pair of v.3 paradigm studio 20s.

i liked the cbm-170 better, actually. they are now my surrounds and i have the 340s + a hsu vtf-3 mk2. the whole system makes one extremely impressive HT setup.

i'm really satisfied. :D

you won't know until you try.

metalaaron
11-04-2004, 11:09 AM
Ya I have a sub that works well with my current 6.5" ported bookshelves, a Velodyne VA-907.2(8" front firing, 10" down firing passive radiator).

I'm probably gonna pick these up. Are they power hungry? 89dB, I doubt it, and my GFA-545 puts out 100watts into 8 ohms. Though honestly the CMT-340M's look pretty impressive to. They aren't even that expensive. Though $348 is really good(CBM-170)!

How is the top end, mellow? I like speakers with a little less air, and a more laid back top end. Please let me know if these are bright or not(I don't think they would be, and hope they aren't).

not bright. doesn't have same resonances of a metal tweeter.