5.1 output vs. digital [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 output vs. digital

lbhkilla
10-27-2004, 09:13 AM
I'm picking up a Pioneer DV578A-S to use as my DVD/CD/SACD player and was wondering what outputs I should be using? Can I descently run all that over just the digital output, or should I use a set of 5.1 cables, or even a set of analog stereo cables for useing CDs.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
10-27-2004, 09:18 AM
I'm picking up a Pioneer DV578A-S to use as my DVD/CD/SACD player and was wondering what outputs I should be using? Can I descently run all that over just the digital output, or should I use a set of 5.1 cables, or even a set of analog stereo cables for useing CDs.

If you plan on utilizing the SACD audio function, then a set of 5.1 cables are mandatory. If you plan on using the players internal D/A converters, then stereo plugs would be necessary. If you plan on using your receivers D/A conversion then a coaxial of Toslink connection is necessary. I use the 5.1 cables, and coaxial cables because my receivers internal D/A conversion sounds better than my players.

N. Abstentia
10-27-2004, 09:20 AM
You have to use the 5.1 analog outputs for DVD-A/SACD. These do not work with the digital outputs, or the 2 channel analog outputs. But with my Marantz I use the 2 channel analog outs for CD, which I just connect to the CD input on my amp since the Marantz has much better DAC's. I'm not sure about the DAC's on the Pioneer, you might just have to try and see which sounds better.

lbhkilla
10-27-2004, 09:51 AM
thanks!

Wow is there ever going to be a mess of cables behind my system now!

logman
10-27-2004, 10:41 AM
i use these and they sound great and really cut down on the clutter.

http://accessories4less.com/mmaccessories4less/Images/175AV.JPG

http://accessories4less.com/Amazing/itemdesc.asp?CartId=10730632XWGF-EVEREST-G28&ic=IXOS%2DXHT503%2F100&cc=&tpc=

Jim in Houston

N. Abstentia
10-27-2004, 12:28 PM
These work just as well, while letting you use a better cable :)

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=080-817

lbhkilla
10-27-2004, 01:01 PM
Just checked any my reciever has only a 96kHz/24bit DAC and the DVD player has a 192kHz/24bit one. Looks like a have a bunch of new cables to make before it comes in. Do you guys know if CDs will play over the 5.1 output? I wouldn't think they would, but it would save 2 cables.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
10-27-2004, 02:07 PM
Just checked any my reciever has only a 96kHz/24bit DAC and the DVD player has a 192kHz/24bit one. Looks like a have a bunch of new cables to make before it comes in. Do you guys know if CDs will play over the 5.1 output? I wouldn't think they would, but it would save 2 cables.

One of the first things you learn working with studio equipment is that because a DAC has a higher sampling rate, does not mean it will sound better than a lower sampling DAC. I used to work with a PCM encoder that consistantly sounded better at 48khz than it did at 96khz. Don't know why, but it did. I would suggest rather than looking at the numbers, listen to the way both sound. You can do that easily by utilizing the coaxial, and the 5.1 cables. And yes, you can play the CD through the 5.1 cables, but you will still only hear two channels of information from the CD player using its DAC's.

toenail
11-01-2004, 05:44 PM
I've just recently purchased the same Pioneer unit and have been playing with it for a few hours now. My impression of the difference between the DAC in the Pioneer vs the DAC in my Yamaha rxv450 is as follows; the coax sounds like a great home theater, the 5.1 sounds like a movie theater. Can't quite put my finger on why, but there seems to be a lot more depth, clarity, precision etc. Much more dynamic. This despite the lack of output level control for the separate channels.

Even more stunning is the difference between the DAC in the Pioneer vs the one in my crap KLH $50 5-disc cd player which it replaces. Pretty amazing how much info was lost using the KLH. I swear it didn't even have even frequency response.