Help! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help!

robert1021
10-27-2004, 07:19 AM
hi
am new to group. am separating from wife and am putting togetehr new ht system. bought an onkyo 501, want to get either a panasonic 87 multi dvd and either jvc or panny hifi vcr., and either cable or satellite. my question is the television. money is an issue. have been looking at a sharp 32 at best buys for 299, however it doesnt have audio out in the rear. plenty on inputs in rear and front a/v as well. do i really need audio out from tv?

also, should i look for a svhs vcr and then run everyting into the receiver using s connections - dvd, vcr and then out to tv or not worry about that.

thanks much for your help

bob

N. Abstentia
10-27-2004, 07:49 AM
If it were me, I would do two things in your situation. Scrap the idea of a VCR, and since you don't have cable or sat yet, go with DirecTV with the free Tivo unit. There will be no need for a VCR. If you need to record something, use that VCR money for a DVD recorder.

I've never understood the need for audio outputs on a TV, just run all your audio and video through the receiver. That way it will do all the switching for you and you only need one cable going to the TV.

PAT.P
10-27-2004, 10:13 AM
hi
am new to group. am separating from wife and am putting togetehr new ht system. bought an onkyo 501, want to get either a panasonic 87 multi dvd and either jvc or panny hifi vcr., and either cable or satellite. my question is the television. money is an issue. have been looking at a sharp 32 at best buys for 299, however it doesnt have audio out in the rear. plenty on inputs in rear and front a/v as well. do i really need audio out from tv?

also, should i look for a svhs vcr and then run everyting into the receiver using s connections - dvd, vcr and then out to tv or not worry about that.

thanks much for your help

bob
I USE THE AUDIO OUT ON TV ONLY IF THERE A GOOD MOVIE ON TO COME OUT OF MY SPEAKER!SAVE YOUR MONEY INSTEAD OF BUYING A VCR (IF YOU HAVE LOTS OF VCR MOVIE BUY A DVD RECORDER AND BURN THEM ON DVD!PAT.P :)