Need help with speaker choice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help with speaker choice

mrdon
10-26-2004, 04:31 PM
I currently have a Polk Audio surround speaker package that I have to replace because the entertainment system I just purchase won't allow for the front towers.

I would like to replace the fronts, rears & center but keep my Energy 8" sub (I love it!).

My room is approx 12' x 20' with 12' ceilings. I want to all of the speakers to be as small as possible without sacrificing midrange sound. I want to use it for movies, but listen to a lot of music. If I can, I'd like to keep the cost below $1000.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Brandon

Wireworm5
10-26-2004, 10:14 PM
I listened to the Velodyne min-bookshelf speakesr awhile back comparing them to another mini speaker. I only listen to them for HT and not music and they sounded quite impressive for their size. I've seen this Velodyne Ht package in flyers for approx. $1000 cdn. which comes with a sub. The speakers alone sold for I think $350 a pair cdn.. Check em out and see what you think. You can also check their website to see what they look like.

PAT.P
10-27-2004, 03:17 AM
I currently have a Polk Audio surround speaker package that I have to replace because the entertainment system I just purchase won't allow for the front towers.

I would like to replace the fronts, rears & center but keep my Energy 8" sub (I love it!).

My room is approx 12' x 20' with 12' ceilings. I want to all of the speakers to be as small as possible without sacrificing midrange sound. I want to use it for movies, but listen to a lot of music. If I can, I'd like to keep the cost below $1000.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Brandon
YOU WANT SMALL LIKE A POUND OF BUTTER AND GET A FREE SUB ? IF IN CANADA GO TO AUDIOSHOP WEBSITE THEY HAVE 5.1ORBIT FROM DAHLQUIST GOING FOR $450 reg 899.PAT.P

amarmistry
10-27-2004, 05:13 AM
I auditioned Polk RTi8 and Saphire SB2 last night at Tweeter. I think Polks ran for around $699/pair and Sapphires around $850/pair. The sapphire produced more clear and detailed sound than Polk RTi8. I really did like the construction, materials used and looks of Polks better than Sapphires. The other reason Sapphires sounded better was may be the Sapphires were 3 way with One driver on side, two midrange in front and tweeter in the middle whereas Polks RTi8 were 2-way only with one tweeter and two woofers acting as mid-range and woofers. Also, I think I liked Sapphires better than Energy(don't know which particular) I auditioned few months ago. With that said, I think I want to audition any Polks which is 3-way.

Sapphire has unimpressive looking foam tweeter, but it performed well. It looks(only) mediocre but since the speaker sounded better, I'm certain it is one of the good tweeter. I just think metal tweeter looks better, not necessarily sound better.

You may really want to check out Sapphires that may be in your budget and sounds really good.

enrique
10-27-2004, 04:27 PM
Check definitive technology procinema systems.Come in different sizes can be mixed and matched.Even come in white or black.

spacedeckman
10-27-2004, 07:28 PM
Looks nice, and if it is anything like the ACT6, it will sound great. I was impressed with the little one, if the big one is just more of it...it will be worth a look.

stuartlittle
10-27-2004, 07:54 PM
For small speakers that don't sacrifice sound quality, take a serious look at Orb Audio (www.orbaudio.com). They are online only, but they sell direct and their prices are extremely competitive. I think they still do a 30 day home trial.