studo 20 stands? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : studo 20 stands?

madmax1
10-26-2004, 02:42 PM
I've been wondering if i can get different stands for my studo 20's. The dealer i bought them from is selling a pair of 29inch stands for $300.00, there nice looking but i didnt really want to spend that much for stands? Right now i have them on two small tables, but gonna have to move them soon because wife wants the tables back. So is there other stands that will work?? Could i build them my self??I'd rather put the money into my system then spend $300 on stands???? Thanks.

Jimmy C
10-26-2004, 03:00 PM
I've been wondering if i can get different stands for my studo 20's. The dealer i bought them from is selling a pair of 29inch stands for $300.00, there nice looking but i didnt really want to spend that much for stands? Right now i have them on two small tables, but gonna have to move them soon because wife wants the tables back. So is there other stands that will work?? Could i build them my self??I'd rather put the money into my system then spend $300 on stands???? Thanks.

...to the Paradigm Studio 20s. Why not try the "Premier" stands? They have something to do with Paradigm, and I'm using a pair with my Revels.

VERY sturdy, about $175, and you can fill them with Playsand to make them weigh a lot more than you'll need.

My speakers are rather "blocky" in stance, so I would rather a 4-column stand as opposed to the Premier's tri-pillar round, but that's just my opinion.

Just get something sand or lead-fillable, inert, and meets your criteria of aesthetics and price range.

I believe I have the "J" series.

topspeed
10-26-2004, 03:12 PM
You might also look into Skylan Stands. Noel will custom build them to your speaker specs and height requirements. They are sand/shot filleable and have some neat features such as ceramic contact points on the top plate and rear biased placement so the mass of the speaker is over center of the stand (remember, speakers are front heavy because of the magnets). The price is $200 cdn which should be, what...$20 bux usd :p?). Here's a link (http://skylanstands.com/stands.htm). Noel's a great guy to work with and I attest to the quality of his work. Filled with playsand, the stand weighs in around 35lbs.

Hope this helps

madmax1
10-26-2004, 03:13 PM
...to the Paradigm Studio 20s. Why not try the "Premier" stands? They have something to do with Paradigm, and I'm using a pair with my Revels.

VERY sturdy, about $175, and you can fill them with Playsand to make them weigh a lot more than you'll need.

My speakers are rather "blocky" in stance, so I would rather a 4-column stand as opposed to the Premier's tri-pillar round, but that's just my opinion.

Just get something sand or lead-fillable, inert, and meets your criteria of aesthetics and price range.

Just wondering where to get these or is there a web site with stands for sale?? Thanks!!

Jimmy C
10-26-2004, 03:21 PM
Just wondering where to get these or is there a web site with stands for sale?? Thanks!!

..wherever Paradigm speakers are sold. Of the 5 or so dealers I can think of off the top of my head that sell Paradigm, they ALL sell the Premiers. Yes, there is a web. I don't know it off-hand, but you can search.

Someone else mentioned Skylan... they'll be just as good.

Again, pick a heavy stand in your price range. You be suprised at the diffs between a flake-board stand vs. a metal, fillable one!

Woochifer
10-26-2004, 03:42 PM
Those $300 stands that you're referring to are probably the Premier J-series stands. Premier is owned by Paradigm, and you can find information about those stands on Paradigm's website. They are generally good stands for the money, and if it matters to you, they are made in Canada. Definitely competitive with most options that I've seen out there for the money. However, keep in mind that the J-series is their high mass, high end speaker stand. Another option is to go with the Premier S-series stands. I use a pair of 18" S-series stands with my Studio 40s and they work quite well. They use a heavy metal base plate with two fillable columns. After filling them with sand, those stands weigh about 30 lbs. each.

They're not nearly as stable as the 45" adjustable Sound Anchors that I use for my Studio 20 surrounds, but my Premier stands cost only $120 while the Sound Anchors went for about $350. And, those Premiers compare very favorably with the $140 Sanus stands that I've seen at Best Buy, as well as other budget options from Target (UK).

madmax1
10-26-2004, 03:53 PM
Thanks for all the posts, i'll look into those thanks again!

Lensman
10-26-2004, 03:53 PM

Premier is a subsidiary of Paradigm, so you won't be able to order their stands online. The same dealer you bought the speakers from should be able to order them for you if he doesn't stock them.

For some additional choices, you can also look here:

http://www.standsandmounts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=204

RGA
10-26-2004, 05:15 PM
I agree with Topspeed's assessment.

topspeed
10-26-2004, 10:00 PM
I agree with Topspeed's assessment.
I bought 'em on your recommendation!

jfish
10-27-2004, 05:04 AM

are these skyland stands wood? painted fiberboard?

matt39
10-27-2004, 04:19 PM
If you are willing to try your hand at a diy stand you might want to check the do it yourself section at www.tnt-audio.com. Could save some bucks if you're handy. Good luck.

topspeed
10-27-2004, 10:29 PM
are these skyland stands wood? painted fiberboard?
Wood top and bottom plates with composite (aka plastic) columns to be filled with sand/shot. The quality is exceptional and from experience with my kids bumping into them, quite stable. I specified the bottom plate oversized for this exact reason, another advantage to having Noel custom build them for you.

kexodusc
10-28-2004, 05:25 AM
Topspeed's recommendation is a good one. If you do decide to build'em yourself, it's not nearly as hard as you think, but make sure you use 3/4" MDF at least for a good solid, vibration limiting structure. A bit of elbow grease and a fun weekend project can save you a couple hundred pretty quick. I built a pair of stands for my Studio 20's, and wimped out and bought a pair of Skylans because I didn't have the time to build another pair.
I think I paid about $25 for material, $12 for paint and had some old veneer lying around that I managed to get to match the Studio 20's finish, they look way better than the Skylans and work just as well...'cept I'll have to refinish them to match the speakers I'm building...oh well.

The price is $200 cdn which should be, what...$20 bux usd :p?).

I wish this was even close to the truth!!! I just moved to Canada and I opted to be paid my salary in USD...this turned out to be a mistake in hindsight, the $CDN has appreciated some 30% in the last year or so against the greenback, trading at over 0.8 US, the highest in a decade, and their predicting it to go even higher...Damn that Canadian economy...I have to wait until next September to change it to $C. Every month the Canadian dollar goes up, and I get a pay cut. Doh! :mad:

RGA
10-28-2004, 11:22 AM
kexodusc

Here you go again with only looking at the cost of material - I charge $20.87 an hour as a tutor - so sure I can build a $200.00 Cdn speaker stand by buying the materials as you suggest - but the RESPONSIBLE thing to do is to factor in the labour cost - $20.87 per hour + the time I have to go to the Hardware store to buy the materials (gas and wear and tear on my vehicle) and the cost of buying hammers screwdrivers and paint and machining equipment.

I don;t think $140.00US is obscene for these - I've seen $600.00 stands from the speaker makers that are pretty lousy in comparison. I've also seen some pretty pathetic target atacama and Lovan stands and stands at A&B sound that sell for more money which are pretty pathetic.

kexodusc
10-28-2004, 11:45 AM
I don't recall expressing any opinion as to which method (buying vs. building stands) is better. I think maybe you should read my post again...this person expressed interest in the possibility of building them himself, so I offered some suggestions.

Truth be told, once you factor in labour, the economies aren't nearly as favourable for building stands compared to building speakers, but is still feasible. I assume you were referring to my posts several weeks ago about economies of building speakers...Well, even with assigning $20 or $30 per hour labor, the gap is disgustingly huge...DIY is more economical, unless you want to make your speaker look super pretty like a totem pole or something or don't already have the necessary tools (buying $2000 worth of power tools to make a speaker equivalent to a $2000 commercial speaker isn't exactly cost effective, but if you already have them...)

But since YOU brought this up I will raise a few points:

Here you go again with only looking at the cost of material - I charge $20.87 an hour as a tutor - so sure I can build a $200.00 Cdn speaker stand by buying the materials as you suggest - but the RESPONSIBLE thing to do is to factor in the labour cost - $20.87 per hour + the time I have to go to the Hardware store to buy the materials (gas and wear and tear on my vehicle) and the cost of buying hammers screwdrivers and paint and machining equipment.

This is fundamentally wrong...you must factor in the lost wages that WOULD have been earned, or whatever value you place on your FREE time, don't just assign $20.87 to your free time based on your job's current hourly wage (unless you've really sat down and figured out that an hour of free time is worth $20.87 to you)...I assume there is time that you don't tutor and aren't earning money, not every hour of your existance can be spent earning money, some can be spent saving money. For many people (possibly not you), the relaxation factor, hobby/enjoyment factor, and money saving factor would be well worth the decision to build instead of buy.

Second...$20.87 an hour? That's more than teachers start at in BC, and several other provinces...way more than I got a few years back...I'd stick with that if I were you!!! :D

Third some people have plenty of time to spare, but little extra money, in this case the decision to build, even at an equivalent hourly wage of $6 per hour could mean the difference between having stands and not...shame on you for not taking into consideration the financial realities of some people.

I don;t think $140.00US is obscene for these - I've seen $600.00 stands from the speaker makers that are pretty lousy in comparison. .
Yep, that's what I liked about Skylan. And from time to time they can be had cheaper.

I've also seen some pretty pathetic target atacama and Lovan stands and stands at A&B sound that sell for more money which are pretty pathetic.
Or the skinny, goofy steel poles that sony and bose sell...yuck...

RGA
10-28-2004, 05:36 PM
Sorry Kex didn't read it clearly enough. $20.87 an hour but only 3 hours a week so this is not huge. Plus no benefits. A qualified teacher would get $25.00 to $30.00 an hour. 5th year ed students $250.00 for 12 hours.

kexodusc
10-29-2004, 03:51 AM
Actually the BC Teacher's Pension Plan is one of my clients...I don't have exact figures but average salary of teachers was just over $60 K with 21.5 yrs of experience...aging group...not bad, still not enough IMO, but hopefully they get what they deserve. One the retirements start to hit and class sizes grow to 76 students you'll be in a pretty good position to cash in.

Still want to go to Japan to teach?