Totem Rainmaker Review. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Totem Rainmaker Review.

jwh917
10-26-2004, 07:08 AM
Had a chance to listen to the Totem Rainmakers the other day and thought i would leave my impressions.I went to a local high end audio dealer to listen to the Linn Katan as i had read many good reviews of this speaker and was curious.I found the Katan to be rather thin sounding,not very full bodied.Even though it did some things well like imaging and was fairly dynamic;it just wasn't for me.I was getting ready to leave when the dealer said i'd like you to hear these Totem Rainmakers bookshelves.All i can say is "WOW",what a loudspeaker.Music was presented in a very lifleike,full bodied manner.And the most impressive thing was the imaging they produced.I've never heard speakers that sounded so "out of the box".The speakers gave absolutely no indication that they were producing the music.Even when i moved back and forth or sideways it was very difficult to clearly locate where the sound was coming from;it was amazing.Also,the width of the image was very good;but the depth was amazing.It sounded like the performers were 10 feet behind the speakers.To me this is the most important aspect of a loudspeaker...to send the sound out of the box...so that you don't have to sit in a sweetspot..but can move around a good bit and get good sound.The Rainmakers produced tight,dynamic sound with little to no boxiness.I would recomend them highly!

ericl
10-26-2004, 07:22 AM
It was on the convention floor with tons of noise and they were playing a movie with surround, but still good.

Did you get to see(or feel) the butt-shaker device? its a device that sits in your couch cushions, hooked up to the lfe track, and rocks your behind.

-eric

eisforelectronic
10-26-2004, 10:00 AM
At CES they put all the smaller High end audio companies into hotel rooms instead of the convention floor. It gives you the opportunity to hear things in a much more home like setting. Totem also makes the best sounding in-wall speaker I have heard. The crazy thing is the rep was only playing 1 speaker, I guess they didn't have room or something.

vr6ofpain
10-26-2004, 12:38 PM
I just read a great review of this speaker in my Nov. issue of Stereophile that came in the mail.

My friend has their cheapest speaker(~$600-750 depending on the finish), the Mite. I think they sound incredible for the size. Much more bass than you would expect from a lowly 5.25" and very natural.

RGA
10-26-2004, 02:14 PM
vr6ofpain

If you would like more bass than the mite and more there sound to the midrange save yourself money and look at the Audio Note AX Two at $550. Same size woofer but larger cabinet - it's also considerably easier to drive - it's more of a competitor to the Rainmaker IMO - which i agree is quite a nice sounding speaker for the money.

vr6ofpain
10-26-2004, 02:18 PM
vr6ofpain

If you would like more bass than the mite and more there sound to the midrange save yourself money and look at the Audio Note AX Two at $550. Same size woofer but larger cabinet - it's also considerably easier to drive - it's more of a competitor to the Rainmaker IMO - which i agree is quite a nice sounding speaker for the money.

I will need to audition my next set of loudspeakers. Over the next few months I'm going to go by a few audio shops down in the bay area. One of them carries Dynaudio and totem. I will try to locate one that carries Audio Note.

dean_martin
10-26-2004, 02:53 PM
I just read a great review of this speaker in my Nov. issue of Stereophile that came in the mail.

My friend has their cheapest speaker(~$600-750 depending on the finish), the Mite. I think they sound incredible for the size. Much more bass than you would expect from a lowly 5.25" and very natural.

When did you get your Nov. issue? I usually get mine around the middle of the month, but haven't received the Nov. issue yet. I thought the reading material in the thinking room was getting a little dated!

vr6ofpain
10-26-2004, 03:14 PM
Got it yesterday. I live in CA though, not sure why that would matter, don't know their origin. My last 4 issues came about half way through the previous month. I believe I got my Oct issue sometime around Sept. 15-20. This one came a little late I guess.

Geoffcin
10-26-2004, 03:33 PM
Had a chance to listen to the Totem Rainmakers the other day and thought i would leave my impressions.I went to a local high end audio dealer to listen to the Linn Katan as i had read many good reviews of this speaker and was curious.I found the Katan to be rather thin sounding,not very full bodied.Even though it did some things well like imaging and was fairly dynamic;it just wasn't for me.I was getting ready to leave when the dealer said i'd like you to hear these Totem Rainmakers bookshelves.All i can say is "WOW",what a loudspeaker.Music was presented in a very lifleike,full bodied manner.And the most impressive thing was the imaging they produced.I've never heard speakers that sounded so "out of the box".The speakers gave absolutely no indication that they were producing the music.Even when i moved back and forth or sideways it was very difficult to clearly locate where the sound was coming from;it was amazing.Also,the width of the image was very good;but the depth was amazing.It sounded like the performers were 10 feet behind the speakers.To me this is the most important aspect of a loudspeaker...to send the sound out of the box...so that you don't have to sit in a sweetspot..but can move around a good bit and get good sound.The Rainmakers produced tight,dynamic sound with little to no boxiness.I would recomend them highly!

You should post your review to the Review section. You don't have to own the speakers to review them. Non-boxy sound is exactly what I'm looking for in a speaker.

RGA
10-26-2004, 06:16 PM
You should post your review to the Review section. You don't have to own the speakers to review them. Non-boxy sound is exactly what I'm looking for in a speaker.

There are lots of things I would review as well but the products are not listed. Audio Note - well obviously - but Skylan stands, The headphone amp from Antique Sound Labs MG Head DT etc. I posted about a year ago to have these added and they were not.

Audio Asylum allows people to add the item for review which makes it easier and also doesn't word limit it. The AN speakers have been around for over 20 years - and while I realize not everything can be there - you see people reviewing items like the K in the J reivew just to squish it in. Audio Note is tough I grant you because they have stupid model numbers like J/L, J/Spe, J/Se, J/Sec etc but they don't sound the same. But I'd like to review several of the speakers I did a while back on here and can transfer them over - but without the AX-Two there why should I help advertise a good review for the Dane 42 which while i would give a glowing review to I would feel it's not fair to ALSO say something good about the AX Two and some other products listed. Does this make sense? I mean adding yet another good review for the Paradigm Atom and B&W 303 when they have such advertising and good reviews already is fine - happy to add another one to that - but then I'd want to see the smaller companies who don't seduce reviewers with perks and freebies get represented by outlets like this.

Then you get people you just trash something in order to trash it - probably to make themselves feel better about what they bought.

Anyway if you're bored please add products http://www.audiolimits.com/html/body_audio_note_products.html

http://www.divertech.com/antiquesl.html

Then when I'm bored I can stock them up with reviews :D and add to the known ones as well.

Pat D
10-26-2004, 07:18 PM
Boy have I been waiting for this! ROFL! They have an aluminum dome tweeter, RGA! How can they be any good?;)

http://www.totemacoustic.com/english/products/bookShelf_rainmaker.htm

I haven't heard the Rainmaker but I have heard the Mani-2, which I liked a lot. I also heard the Sttaf which was pleasant but rather dull, no highs.

RGA
10-26-2004, 08:17 PM
Boy have I been waiting for this! ROFL! They have an aluminum dome tweeter, RGA! How can they be any good?;)

http://www.totemacoustic.com/english/products/bookShelf_rainmaker.htm

I haven't heard the Rainmaker but I have heard the Mani-2, which I liked a lot. I also heard the Sttaf which was pleasant but rather dull, no highs.

Yes I also liked the Dreamcatchers - never said i hated all speakers using metal domes - I have said that most or in general speakers using metal domes I don't like - you don;t pay much attention Pat - I have been recommending The B&W CDM 1NT and 602 series for years and I even gave a best buy tag to the Paradigm Atom My own little reviews).

I can "respect" these speakers for what they are doing given most of what is out there - and I also note that for some reason a LOT of cheap speakers using soft domes can sound dull and lack air.

It's just that I'd rather have the best of both worlds a speaker that is both extended smooth with lots of air easy to drive and CHEAP. So I'd take the AX Two. :D

kexodusc
10-27-2004, 06:53 AM
I posted some reviews/opinions and stuff about Totem more than once...
I'm a huge fan of SOME of Totems speakers, some leave me feeling that they're more geared towards looking pretty...
That being said, I love the Rainmaker, Dream Catchers and the Arro a their price points.

The Rainmakers, in particular, would be great for medium to smaller sized rooms where high SPL isn't needed most of the time. They have a very detailed sound, excellent soundstage and imaging, and a smooth response, all in an attractive finish and small package. In fact I remember the Rainmakers impressed me more than the Studio 20's (which I own) when I last demo'd them. Good value indeed.

Totem makes some damn fine sounding speakers, I hope their recent transition into large chains allows the company to thrive and produce even more models...if it works out you could see their costs go down a bit. That would be great...As long as they don't lose sight of their design philosophies...

dean_martin
10-27-2004, 08:45 AM
Got it yesterday. I live in CA though, not sure why that would matter, don't know their origin. My last 4 issues came about half way through the previous month. I believe I got my Oct issue sometime around Sept. 15-20. This one came a little late I guess.

Thanks. I'll be looking for it this week.