Arright Slackers, it's Tuesday.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Arright Slackers, it's Tuesday....

tentoze
10-26-2004, 05:50 AM
Strut yr tunes!

Lots of listening this week, but didn't buy anything new:

Joseph Arthur, Our Shadows Will Remain- miss this one at yr own peril.
Twilight Singers, She Loves You- same as above
Earlimart- Treble & Tremble. Good stuff.
Giant Sand, Is All Over The Map. More good stuff.
American Music Club, Love Songs For Patriots. Good, and a grower.
Devendra Banhart, Nino Rojo. Like it.
A bunch of semi-fossil rock stuff on vinyl during a poker game on Sat. nite- Springsteen, Gabriel, etc..............

And you?

nobody
10-26-2004, 06:34 AM
This list in gonna be kinda by mood/genre...

Was listening to some angry/grungy/pissed off stuff like...
<b>The Dicks: 1980-1986
Mudhoney: Superfuzzbigmuff
DOA: on 45
Black Flag: Damaged</b>

spinning a couple old style Jamaican ska records...
<b>Intensified: Greatest Jamaican Ska 62-67
The Ethopians: Last Train to Skaville</b>

Some new Americana style stuff...
<b>Old Crow Medicine Show
Loretta Lynn: Van Lear Rose</b>

A little bluesy jazz...
<b>Ben Webster: Soulville</b>

And a few current favorites...
<b>Prince: Musicology
Diplo: Florida
Libertines</b>

OH...and I wanna mention <b>Mum: Please Smile My Noise Bleed</b>. It's only 2 songs with a bunch of remixed versions included, but it takes up a full album and there is enough variation to listen all the way without getting old. It's a really nice listen, similar to their 2nd record but with more of a beat.

mad rhetorik
10-26-2004, 06:54 AM
Big into the Boston metalcore/atmospheric metal-type stuff this week.

Converge: <b>Jane Doe</b>
Cave-In: <b>Jupiter</b>, <b>Antenna</b> (still searching for <b>Until Your Heart Stops</b>, but can't find the damn thing anywhere...going to Amazon next)

Botch: <b>We Are The Romans</b>
First impressions: Similar to other Botch stuff I've heard, which means it RAWKS. Harsh, aggressive noisecore with some crazy Tom Morello-esque guitar trickery going on (Dave Knudson must have 20 different distortion pedals to wring sounds like that out of his six-string). Slower and with more groove than Dillinger Escape Plan, a little less screaming and more clean vocals (very well done), and oh yeah, noise. Lots 'n' lots of noise. And some experimentation too. I'll write a better review soon (I was kind of tired and starting to fall asleep while I was listening the first time), but so far I can safely conclude that this album is essential to the discerning noise maven (all 3 or 4 of us here at Rave Recs). : P

Other stuff:
In Flames: <b>Colony</b>
Snapcase: <b>Designs For Automation</b>
Jimi Hendrix: <b>Electric Ladyland</b>
Miles Davis: <b>In A Silent Way</b>

Mr MidFi
10-26-2004, 06:56 AM
The only new thing I've been listening to / viewing is the brand-new David Bowie Reality Tour DVD. I picked it up for $9.99 American, and it's loaded with 30 tracks covering most of his career in over 2 hours of running time. The band is very tight, and Mr. Bowie gives a spirited performance before a raucus, sold-out Dublin crowd. Good stuff, and well worth the purchase price. Thumbs up.

Tonight, I'm going to the Auditorium Theater in Chicago to see REM. I still love these guys, even if their latest disc is, well, a little bland (though tuneful). It's the first time I'm taking my 11-year-old to a rock show. We'll see how bored she gets. Hopefully, they'll play "Wakeup Bomb," her favorite song.

JDaniel
10-26-2004, 07:56 AM
Went on a 3-day field trip with the boys last week, so had lots of listen time in the tour bus.

The Band of Blacky Ranchette - Still Lookin Good To Me (definitely a keeper - somewhat reminiscent of The Handsome Family. Gotta be good with the likes of Howe Gelb, Neko Case, Bob Neuwirth, Richard Buckner etc.)

Johnny Lang - Long Time Coming (much better than Wander This World IMO)

Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler - Neck and Neck (great album)

Best of Van Morrison (enjoyable, but I gotta be in the mood for this one)

JC's CRSvME (millenium edition???) - Esp. like the Trashcan Sinatras, Josh Rouse, Snow Patrol and Modest Mouse Tracks.

Tentoze's Mighty Fine Pianomunde comp (1st spin this a.m.)

Dickey Betts - Atlanta Burnin' Down

Gov't Mule - Deja Voodoo

JC's Halloween 2004 (my fav. in the series Jimbo. Heard my 1st Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson tunes on here. R.Z. rocked, although I would call myself a fan of the guy.)

JD

DarrenH
10-26-2004, 08:10 AM
John Mellencamp - Words and Music
Peter Gabriel - Hits (the just released 2 cd set)
Uriah Heep - Salisbury
White Willow - Storm Season. Lots of folks sure raved about this but I found it very mediocre.
Riverside - Out Of Myself. Once in a while I'll buy music based on promising reviews (I think we all do this from time to time) only to be somewhat disappointed. It wasn't terrible but it didn't move me all that much either.
The Jelly Jam - Jelly Jam 2
Ozric Tentacles - Spirals In Hyperspace
Cressida - s/t
Cressida - Asylum
Trashcan Sinatras - Weightlifting. I bought this based on the tunes from JC's comp. It was on sale for $14 and included a bonus DVD so I figured, what the hey. I'm glad I did.

Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior
Dave Brubeck - Young Lions and Old Tigers
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
Larry Carlton - Sapphire Blue
Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto

Bittersweet Bundle from our UK friend Mike. Thanks for sending me a copy. It's not my usual cup of tea but I like the exposure to different things. There's a couple of tunes that caught my ear and hopefully more will follow as I digest further.

Listened to Demetrio's MP3 prog sampler comp disc 1. I really like the music of Shakary. I'm considering buying their release Alya based on these songs. Also liked Karnataka and Par Lindh Project and especially enjoyed Calix's take on O Fortuna from Carl Orff's Carmina Burana.

Also got a bunch of stuff from Jackson. Thank you kind sir. I always enjoy listening to your comps.

Troy
10-26-2004, 09:10 AM
That new Blackfield album with Steven Wilson and Aviv somethingorother. Imagine Porcupine Tree crossed with Tears for Fears. Some of it is really poppy, yet very melencholy. Lots of giant 3-handed minor chords. I suspect that Jim Clark, you may really dig it.

Jethro Tull- Roots to Branches. It's really solid. Where the band shoulda gone in 1980.

XTC Black Sea. 5 star classic.

Laika and the Cosmonauts- Surfs you Right. Rare first album by this Finnish instru surf tribute act. This was incredibly unfashionable in 1988. More like the Ventures than Dick Dale.

Cardiacs- Songs for ships and Irons. A British Oingo Boingo. Imagine "The Pirates of Penzance" on LSD.

Camel- Raindances. Blah. Newage drivel.

The Sugarplastic- Radio Jejune. The best power pop you never heard in your life.

Grandaddy- Sumday. Still excellent. Very pleasnt to come back to after some time away.

Porcupine Tree- Stupid Dream. See above.

KEXPMF
10-26-2004, 09:37 AM
Fatboy Slim - El Bebe Masoquista

Mountain Con - I Woke Up and the Morning was Grey
(I heard this for the 3rd time on KEXP and clicked the "buy" button, then found it was only $8 so had to buy it. This song just WOULDN'T leave my head. Luckily there are a ton of great songs on the cd. I'd have been very bummed if the rest of it sucked. They are a local Seattle band I discovered on my recent trip there)

The Books - the album "The Lemon of Pink"
OK I know I posted this quote from their bio before but I just like their description SO MUCH I have to post it again. HOW GREAT IS THIS??? I don't know this band but their sense of humor/creativity is priceless!
"..though The Books are hard to categorize they are often pressed in interviews to categorize themselves. It took them almost as long as the making of their album to come up with this remotely suitable answer: blipworld / fakegrass / speedblues / chamberclick / eccentrock / country&eastern / glitch post-anything music with samples"

Tom Waits - Real Gone (the WHOLE ALBUM)
Someone on here asked if they should buy this album. My reply to that person:
YES. Run, don't walk, to the record store.

Gomez - everything by this band. I know I always am raving about them. Saw them last night in NYC and I'm going again tonight. (my 5th and 6th Gomez shows of 2004)

It was ROCK night at my DJ gig this weekend...this is just a sampling of what I played for the mix of tattooed rockers and upper west side yuppies. (they started coming after the bar got a write up in Time Out magazine)
Onyx & Biohazzard - "Judgement Night"
Pop Will Eat Itself - "Ich Bin Ein Auslander"
Dope - "Debonaire"
Static-X - "So Real"
Ministry - "Lay Lady Lay"
Our Lady Peace - "Starseed"

Dusty Chalk
10-26-2004, 09:53 AM
Calexico live thingy -- excellent, sent me right back in time to when I saw them live

JC's Halloween '04 -- nicely atmospheric

Lori Carson, Finest Thing -- delightful, one of her best in years, I oughta amend my list...again...

Joseph Arthur, Redemption's Son -- meh, couple good tracks

Carpenters, Gold (35th anniversary edition) -- heh-heh, they cover Klaatu. I love it. He's a consumate musician, and she has a dark streak, what's not to like?

Tom Waits, Real Gone -- the best thing he's done in years. I like it more than Alice and Blood Money combined. Bizarro production though (lo-fi).

Ministry, Early Traxx -- reissue with bonus tracks -- good, if you like their early pre-Twitch stuff

Sirenia, Elixir for Existence -- meh, good, but I ended up liking Epica more...and Nightwish, and After Forever...still, better than Evanescence

Lacrimas Profundere, Ave End -- delightful hard rock, bordering on metal, nice low (male) mostly clean vocals, excellent sheeny production. Not to be confused with Lacrimosa.

Neurosis & Jarboe -- surprisingly good, but...

Neurosis, Eye of the Storm -- aw yeah, LOTW. Hard, depressing, atmospheric stuff. If you can imagine something between Shape of Despair without the shoegazeriness and Swans with more atmosphere (not that Soundtrack for the Blind was missing atmosphere -- I'm thinking more early- to mid-period Swans, at their more minimal...screw it, just think Joy Division), you're halfway there.

Swish
10-26-2004, 10:08 AM
Robyn Hitchcock - Spooked
Interpol - Antics (not exactly "Bright Lights" but pretty good)
The Libertines - S/T - much better than "Up the Bracket"
The Fierty Furnaces - Blueberry Boat
Brian Wilson - Smile
David Kilgour - Fozen Orange
Clearlake - Cedars
Willard Grant Conspiracty - Regard the End
Snow Patrol - Final Straw

Swishster

-Jar-
10-26-2004, 10:18 AM
Onyx & Biohazzard - "Judgement Night"

I love the Helmet/House of Pain contribution "Just Another Victim"

Jim Clark
10-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Hope the Halloween comp gets to the Northern most members soon. All should be good since they were all mailed out the same time but you never know about Canadian custom officials. I'm a bit worried about Audiobills, it weighed out kinda heavy. I guess I'm cutting it pretty close but I'm still hopeful.

I listened to:

Sinead O'Connor: She Who Dwells in the Secret Place of the Most High Shall Abide Under the Shadow of the Almighty. Now that's a title. Simple a suprelative effort that went unnoticed by all from the looks of it. A full live concert disc and another of rare, b-sides, demos, and covers. Stunning listen if you can get over the fact that it's Sinead O'Connor who managed to alienate much if not most of her fan base in America.

The Doubters Club -Fleur de Lisa-a '96 release of two former Judybats members. JD gets me covered on all of these offshots and rarities. While I remain eternally grateful, this one didn't capture my attention like the others. The first track, Guess, is an awesome track that sets the bar pretty high and the song would fit in nicely in any anthology of Judy bats material. Unfortunately for me the rest of the album slides heavily in harder rocking tunes that while not bad certainly don't reel me in. It's not like I'm searching for the skip button but I find that I'm able to go about my business and am content to let it play in the background. I guess that simply reprising the typical Judy Bats sound wouldn't make much sense here. I get the feeling that at best they were more of a 'cult' band than anything approaching a popular band. Not that this is damning, one of my personal faves remain the local legends The Rainmakers and their earliest incarnation, Steve, Bob and Rich. What the Judy Bats and the Rainmakers seem to have in common is that once the magic is out of the bottle, refills are hard to come by.

Snow Patrol-the Final Straw

The Killers-Hot Fuss

Razorlight-tons of spins on this one. I've come to the intermediate conclusion that it's very similar to the Mooney Suzuki in terms of wanting to make something new out of 70's rock and roll. The difference to me is that there has been more of a concscious effort to bring the sound up to date rather than just bring back the sound and feel. I think it works marvously and am thrilled I was able to hear this disc before the year let out. Many thanks, you know who you are.

The National-Cherry Tree
Ella Guru-First Album
Massive Attack-100'th window
Siouxsie And the Banshees-Peepshow
the Furs-Midnight To Midnight
colin james hay-Looking For Jack
INXS-Listen Like Thieves-I need to replace a bunch of these old lps and I couldn't help but notice that AMG rates all of these albums exceedingly low. I'm a bit surprised. I know the legacy took a massive tumble due to the 'odd' circumstances of Micheal Hutchence' death but I really like most of these albums. Guess that should tell me something right there.

Anyways-tons more but I've got to get running now.

jc

Stone
10-26-2004, 04:26 PM
Saturday Looks Good To Me - Every Night

Screeching Weasel - BoogadaBoogadaBoogada

The Delgados - Universal Audio

The Gris Gris - s/t

The Ocean Blue - Cerulean

Judas Priest - British Steel

Offspring - Smash

Green Day - Dookie

Caetano Veloso - Estrangeiro

The Legends - Up Against the Legends

Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady

Avail - Satiate

The Kinks - Something Else..

Mekons - I {heart} Mekons

ForeverAutumn
10-26-2004, 04:38 PM
Green Day - 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour
Green Day - Dookie
Green Day - Insomniac
Green Day - Nimrod
Green Day - Warning
Green Day - American Idiot (about 16 times!)
Haven't gotten to Shenanigans yet. That's on deck for tomorrow. And I need to get me a copy of Kerplunk to finish out the set.

The Honeydogs - 10,000 years
Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism
The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
Trans-Siberian Orchestra - All three Christmas disks.

That's all I can remember from this week. I haven't been able to get American Idiot out of the player long enough to listen to much else.

audiobill
10-26-2004, 05:14 PM
Thanks to Mad Rhetorik's exploration of the Boston hard-core scene, I thought I'd give one of his bands a try.

Converge: Jane Doe. I bought this yesterday from my "short list" after Mad R had posted some very interesting notes. Upon first listen, I wasn't engaged as I should be, but then again I was marking papers and my focus was elsewhere. 2nd & 3rd listens, I was begining to really dig the intemittent bursts of furious drums and actually enjoying the non-stop vocalizing (scream-singing) that was bursting out of my home rig's speakers. Biggest compliment, yet: my oldest daughter walks past the big comfy chair in the familyroom and says, "Just makes you feel like going out and killing somebody -- made ya look, dad! Ha!" A big thanks to Mad R, since I would never have bought this album without his RR musings. Giddy up and converge!!

Pi(Greek symbol): Music from the Soundtrack. Very thought-provoking electronica that works well without the movie.

The White Stripes' Elephant -- Tunes that my entire family loves and that my youngest daughter instists on bringing with her, to play in the car, whenever we go to run errands or hockey practice. A classic & a great album for brainwashing your children.

The Fiery Furnaces' Blueberry Boat -- The one that inevitably garners curious comments and odd stares a I play it (just for fun, he, he, he,) in the teachers' staff room.

And most of the others I listed on JC's earlier post about 2004 list/picks so far.

Live life,
Bill

Pat D
10-26-2004, 06:56 PM
I listened to some LPs last week, starting with some quite old:

French Overtures (Offenbach, Herold, Auber, Lalo). Ansermet, Suisse Romande Orchestra. London Ace of Diamonds SDD 2133. This sounds the best I’ve ever heard it on my relatively new PSB Stratus Minis recordings and of course, I’m an Ansermet fan.

Popular Overtures and Overture! Arthur Winograd, Virtuoso Symphony of London. Audio Fidelity FCS 50,011 and 50,012. More great .

Bach, Cantata BWV 51, Jauchzett Gott in allen Landen. Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, soprano; Peter Gellhorn, The Philharmonia Orchestra. On Seraphim 60013 (mono). The trouble is that she is so good she ruins this piece for everyone else!

Bach, Cantata no. 51. Elly Ameling, soprano; Helmut Winscherman, German Bach Soloists. Philips 6500 014. Of course, Ameling had a lovely voice and sang beautifully but she just doesn’t go nearly as fast as Schwarzkopf, who just runs headlong through the first and last arias in the most thrilling way.

Then, there were the CDs.

Bach, Cantata no. 51. Emma Kirkby, soprano; John Eliot Gardiner, English Baroque Soloists. On Philips411 458-2. Kirkby sang this well, of course, too, but I’ve never heard anyone to come near to Schwarzkopf’s recording for sheer virtuosity.

Guitar Recital. Jason Vieaux, guitar. Naxos 8.553449.

Haydn, Quartets Op. 33, Nos. 1-3. Kodaly Qt. Naxos 8.550788.

Italian Oboe Concertos (Correlli, Bellini, Cimarosa, Fiorillo, Righini, Barbirolli). Anthony Camden, Julia Girdwood, oboes; Nicholas Ward, City of London Sinfonia. Naxos 8.553433.

Man-the measure of all things: Trumpet Music from the Italian Baroque. John Wallace, John Miller, trumpets; Christopher Warren-Green, Philharmonia Orchestra. Nimbus NIM 5017.

Horowitz Plays Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 23 and Piano Sonata K. 333. Giulini, Orchestra del Teatro alla Scala. DG 423 287-2.

Gabrieli & St. Mark’s. Simon Wright, The Wallace Collection (brass ensemble). Nimbus NI 5236.

Piston, The Incredible Flutist. Gerard Schwarz, Seattle Symphony Orchestra. Delos DE 3126. This seems to have been reissued on Naxos 8.559160.

Holst, Band Suites Nos. 1 and 2. Frederick Fennel, Cleveland Symphonic Winds. On Telarc CD-80038.

Ex Lion Tamer
10-26-2004, 07:28 PM
Nothing new for me this week. Here's the list, unencombered by rambling editorializing...

Strokes - Room on Fire
The Glands
Spoon - Girls Can Tell
Beulah - The Coast is Never Clear
Shins - Chutes too Narrow
Blonde Redhead - Misery is a Butterfly
Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
Belle & Sebastien - The Boy with the Arab Strap
Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Steve Wynn - Here Comes the Miracles
Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Like Bad News
Eels - Daisies of the Galaxy
Kings of Leon - Youth & Young Manhood
Pavement - Terror Twilight
The Notwist - Neon Golden

...and Nobody's "Roots & Dub Spin"

mad rhetorik
10-27-2004, 09:00 AM
Thanks to Mad Rhetorik's exploration of the Boston hard-core scene, I thought I'd give one of his bands a try.

Converge: Jane Doe. I bought this yesterday from my "short list" after Mad R had posted some very interesting notes. Upon first listen, I wasn't engaged as I should be, but then again I was marking papers and my focus was elsewhere. 2nd & 3rd listens, I was begining to really dig the intemittent bursts of furious drums and actually enjoying the non-stop vocalizing (scream-singing) that was bursting out of my home rig's speakers. Biggest compliment, yet: my oldest daughter walks past the big comfy chair in the familyroom and says, "Just makes you feel like going out and killing somebody -- made ya look, dad! Ha!" A big thanks to Mad R, since I would never have bought this album without his RR musings. Giddy up and converge!!

Thanks for the props, Bill! Glad I could get someone hooked on this rec (and band).

Often Jacob Bannon's voice is the make-or-break point for turning people on to this band. Either people get used to the insane screams, or they find them way over the top. I like 'em now, I view them as an extra instrument since they aren't at all intelligible (even when he slows down). Especially like how the mellower, almost shoegazer-y "Phoenix In Flight" explodes into the warp-speed kill-everything grind blast of "Phoenix In Flames." "Hell To Pay" has a cool bass rhythm that reminds me of Slint. Good stuff.

Anyway, you should look into Dillinger Escape Plan, Botch, and Burnt By The Sun. And also Isis, though they are completely different from the above. A lot of Converge/Boston hardcore fans I've met seem to like 'em.

(BTW Jar, sorry for the delay....your package will be on the way soon)

KEXPMF
10-27-2004, 11:34 AM
Green Day - 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour
Green Day - Dookie
Green Day - Insomniac
Green Day - Nimrod
Green Day - Warning
Green Day - American Idiot (about 16 times!)
Haven't gotten to Shenanigans yet. That's on deck for tomorrow. And I need to get me a copy of Kerplunk to finish out the set.

That's all I can remember from this week. I haven't been able to get American Idiot out of the player long enough to listen to much else.

Man... someone LOVES Green Day :)
I do too actually. You definitely need to get Kerplunk!
It has "Dominted Love Slave", you've likely seen them do this live, Tre takes over lead vocals and Billie plays drums. Kerplunk! is a classic.

ForeverAutumn
10-27-2004, 01:44 PM
Man... someone LOVES Green Day :)
I do too actually. You definitely need to get Kerplunk!
It has "Dominted Love Slave", you've likely seen them do this live, Tre takes over lead vocals and Billie plays drums. Kerplunk! is a classic.

I do enjoy Green Day. I've been hooked on American Idiot and reviewing the other disks for an upcoming "best of Green Day" comp.

Believe it or not, I've never seen them live. They're playing here on Nov. 2 and I really want to go but (a) I have no-one to go with. My friends do not share my GD love. and (b) I have to facilitate a two hour workshop on Nov. 3 and my responsible side tells me that I can't stay out late the night before. :(

You know...sometimes I miss being a student. Then I would have cool friends who like Green Day and I would just skip my morning classes the day after. Of course, I wouldn't have any money and probably couldn't afford the tickets. So, I still wouldn't be going. :(

KEXPMF
10-28-2004, 04:26 PM
I do enjoy Green Day. I've been hooked on American Idiot and reviewing the other disks for an upcoming "best of Green Day" comp.

Believe it or not, I've never seen them live. They're playing here on Nov. 2 and I really want to go but (a) I have no-one to go with. My friends do not share my GD love. and (b) I have to facilitate a two hour workshop on Nov. 3 and my responsible side tells me that I can't stay out late the night before. :(

You know...sometimes I miss being a student. Then I would have cool friends who like Green Day and I would just skip my morning classes the day after. Of course, I wouldn't have any money and probably couldn't afford the tickets. So, I still wouldn't be going. :(

Neither of those things would ever keep me from seeing THIS band. I highly recommend you just go. I just went to 2 nights of Gomez by myself. I even met their manager who happened to be standing next to me, by himself. Green Day are so good live. I'll bet you might even meet some people at the show. If I want to talk to someone, I'd say, "Have you seen them before? I haven't".... at a Green Day show that will get you a "WOW!!! NO WAY!!!" I can't believe you haven't seen them. That's all the more reason to go.
As far as work the next day... that's what coffee is for!! :)

Bert
10-28-2004, 06:37 PM
Believe it or not, I've never seen them live. They're playing here on Nov. 2 and I really want to go but (a) I have no-one to go with. My friends do not share my GD love. and (b) I have to facilitate a two hour workshop on Nov. 3 and my responsible side tells me that I can't stay out late the night before.

How many live have you got, girl?

I once saw Ray Charles on a whim and I can still play it back in my head. I also saw Rostropovich, he forgot part of the second mouvment and he is now 77 years old and retired. Never saw Vladimir Horowitz, Miles Davis, Chet Baker, Leonard Bernstein, nor Herbert von Karajan: too late now.

My advice: Sleep two hours less on concert night, drink more coffee the next day and crash early Wednesday night. Thursday, post us a review of the concert and make us all green with envy (pun intended). Sound good?

Cheers,
Bert

-Jar-
10-29-2004, 06:03 AM
made a Steely Dan comp, it was something I've been wanting to do for a while, finally got around to it. It was pretty much a no-brainer for me which songs I would pick, and as it turns out, there really isn't a glowing "favorite" that I had to leave off, so I'm pretty happy with it. And as good as DECADE was, I think I only overlap about 5 songs. All tracks taken from the CITIZEN box set. I guess the newer remasters are better, but, oh well.

No Static At All.

01 Black Cow
02 Hey Nineteen
03 The Fez
04 Dirty Work
05 Doctor Wu
06 Gaucho
07 Aja
08 Everyone's Gone To The Movies
09 Any Major Dude Will Tell You
10 Don't Take Me Alive
11 With A Gun
12 Only A Fool Would Say That
13 The Caves of Altamira
14 My Old School
15 FM
16 Deacon Blues
17 Bad Sneakers

also working on a new throat-splitting ear-drum hammering metal-thrash-core-death comp. Exodus, Slayer, Celtic Frost... Mastodon, In Flames, Cynic, Neurosis.. ahhhh soothing :)

-jar

Mike
10-29-2004, 06:44 AM
made a Steely Dan comp, it was something I've been wanting to do for a while, finally got around to it. All tracks taken from the CITIZEN box set. I guess the newer remasters are better, but, oh well. jar

Good choice of tracks there Jar some of my all time faves too from Gaucho, Aja and Royal Scam.

But I tell you I've got the Citizen box set as well and I ended up buying some of those recent remasters when they surfaced just out of curiosity really. You don't need to worry about the quality, maybe if you play them back to back you might be able to tell the difference, but otherwise no they did a pretty fine job with the box set when it came out.

Cheers
Mike

Davey
10-29-2004, 01:51 PM
Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady
Good one! I've been listening to that a lot myself lately. Mainly because it's one of the best aging damn punk albums ever, but also, sadly, because I don't really have very many CDs with me right now :)

But hey, a few like this is all you really need, huh? So....do you have the old 16 tracker like me or do you have the shiny new 24 track remastered version? Wonder how they compare - anyone have experience with both? Seems just about perfect with 16 songs so not much point in changing now.