Do you know if this subwoofer is any good? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Do you know if this subwoofer is any good?

polo13
12-12-2003, 08:53 AM
I would like to know if the JBL HTPS 300 is a good subwoofer. What are the pros and cons of this subwoofer. Would anyone recommend a better more recent subwoofer with comparable performance or shall i keep this subwoofer.
Thanks in advance

markw
12-12-2003, 11:43 AM
Why would you want to replace it with one of comparable preformance? If you don't want better performance, why bother replacing it? If you do want to upgrade, a price range might help anyone wishing to discuss this further.

Willow
12-12-2003, 11:57 AM
he's right there is no sense in buying something different if it's the same(make sense?) if you're going to change you should upgradeor are you asking something in the same price range but may perform better ???

polo13
12-12-2003, 05:13 PM
thanks for the reply.

I could not find any review on this subwoofer and as i am a newbie i just wanted to know how good or bad was this sub because i dont have any other reference to compare it; plusi got it cheap at fry's 3 years ago.
Moreover, i moving back to france in 4 weeks and i wanted to know if was really worth shipping it back or sell it and upgrade w/something better?

This Guy
12-13-2003, 09:02 AM
if it's a good subwoofer. Does it meet your needs for music and movie watching? Does it integrate well with the other speakers? If you don't like it, I'd shop around for a new one that you do like. How much money are we talking about here? If you got $400 you could get an Adire Audio Rava, and for $50 more you could get an HSU VTF-2.Do you think this woofer is worth bringing to France or would you be happier with a better one? Maybe you should see if there are any audio shops where you're going to live in France and see if they have something you might like as a subwoofer. See what speaker makes they have. If they have something you may like, you could sell the JBL here in the US and put that money towards a new one. But first, do you feel you have to upgrade? If there's nothing wrong with it, simple, just keep it.

-Joey

polo13
12-13-2003, 09:38 AM
i would spend around 500-600 for a new sub but i would prefer keeping that one.
I dont thnik there is really something wrong w/this i just try to gather data on this particular sub to find out the quality of sound of this piece. The JBL HTPS 300 sound very good, especially w/movies and goes very low but i was wondering if this sub has the punch and dryness of others sub in his category or if there is a sub around 500/600 that would signicantly outperform the JBL HTPS 300 . Sometimes i feel when i listen music that bass goes very low (perhaps sound too rich?)

This Guy
12-13-2003, 12:43 PM
If you like it there's no reason to upgrade. Looks like a pretty decent subwoofer. SVSubwoofers are in this price range and will probably go a little louder and lower, but I'd only go with one if I really disliked my current sub. go to this website. www.svsubwoofers.com

Didn't you demo this JBL along with the other subs in this price range? Why didn't you shop around and make sure this sub is the best possible for the money for your listening habits. So next time you go out buying audio equpiment, see what's out there first and see how other subs stack up against each other.

-Joey