Which Speaker Sounds Better? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which Speaker Sounds Better?

Marc B.
10-25-2004, 05:36 PM
Which sorround speakers sound better?
BIPOLE DIPOLE or FRONT FIRING SPEAKERS?
They will be on speaker stands facing each other beside the couch.
Thanks for any help,
Marc

PAT.P
10-25-2004, 07:38 PM
Which sorround speakers sound better?
BIPOLE DIPOLE or FRONT FIRING SPEAKERS?
They will be on speaker stands facing each other beside the couch.
Thanks for any help,
Marc
Had no room for towers on each side of couch ,tried bookshelf on end table the sound was not to my liking! Decide on the on wall special effects speaker (selectable ambiant or direct firing modes ,dipole for Pro Logic and monopole for digital surround or multi-channel music) these are place beetween 2 to 3 feet above head on wall ,now it fills the room more sutable to my ears! It all depend on what your ears will tolerate not all the same! Pat.P

spacedeckman
10-27-2004, 07:38 PM
I personally like direct fire, but you need to get them behind you, hopefully a ways back to really work right.

The utilitarian answer would be a bipole if you can't put the regular speakers where you need.

There are some instances where a dipole would be it, but they will be more placement sensitive (you need to be in the "null"...have speakers same plane as seat), and I usually find the soundfield to be too diffuse and kind of screws up directional cues.

kexodusc
10-28-2004, 05:30 AM
This debate is as old as HT itself, I think...I've owned dipoles and bipoles in the past...I didn't like them in the end despite the advantages they do have...Based on my room configuration, taste, etc, direct firing works better for me...probably not for all though.

One thing to consider, if you plan to get into multi-channel audio (DVD-A/SACD), you'll definitely want the direct radiating speakers rather than the bipoles/dipoles.

kode3
11-19-2004, 05:32 AM
I have Definitive Tech BP6B's as my rear speakers, I like it. The rear seems more full of sound. To each his own of course.

bignerd100
11-19-2004, 09:38 AM
The speaker that the store lets you demo in your own home, and is to your liking is the best speaker. Your electronics, personal preferances, required room placement, and most importantly room characteristics will dictate the sound quality.

Kef Q2ds are great (bipolar). Can be flipped upside down and stand mounted or wall mounted.

NHT SB2 are great (front firing). Place on stands or use Omni-Mounts for wall placement.

NHT iC3 are great (in ceiling). Three tweeters for more diffuse sound.