Help decide a HT setup for $15K to $20K [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help decide a HT setup for $15K to $20K

Slappi
10-25-2004, 01:06 PM
I am building a new home and decided to put $15k to $20k into a HT setup.

I have been out of the loop for about 2 years and was wondering if you guys could recommend the best setup for a room 24'x12'.

I need a TV that can be hung on a wall. I need a receiver, dvd, speakers.

-Should I do 7.1 6.1 or 5.1?
-What is the latest and best connection to the TV and DVD (Still component?)

I need to call the subcontractor and set up a meeting for next week and would like to know what you guys think on the types and sizes of the wires and where they should be place around the room also.

Sorry about not doing more reading but I am so pressed for time lately and I know you guys are up on the latest in HT.

Thanks

Geoffcin
10-25-2004, 04:17 PM
I am building a new home and decided to put $15k to $20k into a HT setup.

I have been out of the loop for about 2 years and was wondering if you guys could recommend the best setup for a room 24'x12'.

I need a TV that can be hung on a wall. I need a receiver, dvd, speakers.

-Should I do 7.1 6.1 or 5.1?
-What is the latest and best connection to the TV and DVD (Still component?)

I need to call the subcontractor and set up a meeting for next week and would like to know what you guys think on the types and sizes of the wires and where they should be place around the room also.

Sorry about not doing more reading but I am so pressed for time lately and I know you guys are up on the latest in HT.

Thanks

Then I would recommend a projector based video system. Your room at 12' wide is slim, so I would also recommend a two level seating layout. Your budget is such that you might want to consider motion control for the seating too.

Slappi
10-26-2004, 04:31 AM
Then I would recommend a projector based video system. Your room at 12' wide is slim, so I would also recommend a two level seating layout. Your budget is such that you might want to consider motion control for the seating too.

I do have the two level seating. What is motion control?

I did some reading on projectors. I assume you mean DLP or LCD front projectors right?

Thanks

BillB
10-26-2004, 08:24 AM
With that budget and that size room I'd go with the following:

A front projection TV system.
7.1 Preamp/Processor
2ch power amp for front L&R
5ch power amp for rest of channels

If you're into music I'd go with a set of near-full-range speakers for front L&R. If this is going to be a movie-only system I'd stick with standmount models all around except for the center and side surrounds. You'll want a center channel and stand to place below the screen. I'd go with dipoles for the side surrounds and regular standmounts for the rear surrounds.

The overwhelming majority of material on HDTV and DVD is in 5.1 so if the additional amplification and speakers is stretching your budget, simply cut it out for now BUT run the wiring for a 7.1 system should you want it down the road. I'd still buy a pre/pro with 7 channel capability to avoid having to replace it should you add the extra channels in the future. 7.1 would seem to be beneficial in a long, narrow room like yours.

As for a DVD player, there are new all-digital connections now available like DVI but your Projector/TV would have to have the capability as well. If music is of interest I'd recommend a good universal model with decent CD playback and SACD/DVD-Audio capability as well.

Run dedicated outlets to their own breakers. One in the ceiling for the projector if you go with a front-projection system, a second for your pre/pro, DVD and other sources, a third for your amplification, and possible a fourth for the powered sub.

I'd make sure all lighting and appliances are on different circuits as well, and if you're using a dimmer make sure it's a quality one.

You'll want to take room acoustics into consideration as well. These boards aren't the best on that subject so I'd check out the following sites for info:

www.RivesAudio.com
www.AVSForum.com

Bill

topspeed
10-26-2004, 09:45 AM
I do have the two level seating. What is motion control?I'm guessing Geoff is talking about items like Aura BassShakers that you place under the seating and they rumble your seats with the LFE. It'l like adding a bit of Disneyland to your HT.

Bill brings up a really good question:
Is this a dedicated HT or is it for music also? What percent HT:music?

Geoffcin
10-26-2004, 02:38 PM
I do have the two level seating. What is motion control?

I did some reading on projectors. I assume you mean DLP or LCD front projectors right?

Thanks

A front projector, either a DLP, or LCD. Panasonic makes some good LCD projectors, The PT-AE700U being my personal choice, and there's a lot of DLP's to choose from depending on your budget. Here's a link to Projector Central;

http://www.projectorcentral.com/recommended-home-theater-projectors.htm

Motion control is the most interesting thing you can do in HT. The simple ones are just bass shakers that attach to the seats, but the more advanced ones have the ability to move the seating several degrees, and raise them virtically too. I know of one person with a system like this, and watching a movie is like Disneyland at his place. Here's a link to a place that makes these units;

http://www.clarksynthesis.com/index.php

Slappi
10-26-2004, 03:29 PM
I'm guessing Geoff is talking about items like Aura BassShakers that you place under the seating and they rumble your seats with the LFE. It'l like adding a bit of Disneyland to your HT.

Bill brings up a really good question:
Is this a dedicated HT or is it for music also? What percent HT:music?

This will be about 90% HT and 10% Music.

Slappi
10-26-2004, 03:34 PM
A front projector, either a DLP, or LCD. Panasonic makes some good LCD projectors, The PT-AE700U being my personal choice, and there's a lot of DLP's to choose from depending on your budget. Here's a link to Projector Central;

http://www.projectorcentral.com/recommended-home-theater-projectors.htm

Motion control is the most interesting thing you can do in HT. The simple ones are just bass shakers that attach to the seats, but the more advanced ones have the ability to move the seating several degrees, and raise them virtically too. I know of one person with a system like this, and watching a movie is like Disneyland at his place. Here's a link to a place that makes these units;

http://www.clarksynthesis.com/index.php

That sounds amazing..... I might actually do that.