Pretty good haul at the library this a.m. (Chip, YECH). [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pretty good haul at the library this a.m. (Chip, YECH).

Finch Platte
10-25-2004, 12:40 PM
I found a cache of blues stuff on discs, and I snagged as many as I felt comfortable taking.

James Cotton- Cut You Loose!
Buddy Guy- Sweet Tea
John Hammond- Wicked Grin
Junior Wells- Hoodoo Man Blues
R. L. Burnside- Burnside On Burnside
Luther Allison- Live In Chicago
Robert Lockwood, Jr.- Delta Crossroads

Let me know if there's something here you'd like to hear.

Plus, Steely Dan's Everything Must Go, Disturbed's The Sickness and The Kinks' Schoolboys In Disgrace (whew, that sure hasn't aged well).

Then, it was on to Tower, where after a brief stint at the listening station, I bought the Reeveoliver disc (sounds like a crunchier, more-earnest Fountains Of Wayne) and a couple of my favorite mags that include free CDs- AMP, Vol 11 (www.ampmagazine.com), lots of cookie monster/punk stuff on that one, HARP (www.harpmagazine.com) that's a little different, stylistically than the AMP one. Scan of the HARP comp and one of the free discs that came w/ the AMP mag shown below.

Then, at the counter I asked for free stuff, and the girl gave me a couple- a 3-song Snow Patrol EP w/ tracks from Final Straw, a Keane EP w/ selections from Hopes And Fears (ww.keaneband.com) and a classical disc- The New Generation. Classical. :rolleyes: Altho it does have a cover of Elvis Costello's Oberon & Titania from Il Sogno. Might be interesting, but it'll be at the bottom of my listening list fer sure.

Not a bad haul, eh? Coming soon to comps near you. :D

fp

Chip_B
10-28-2004, 06:03 PM
I found a cache of blues stuff on discs, and I snagged as many as I felt comfortable taking.

James Cotton- Cut You Loose!
Buddy Guy- Sweet Tea
John Hammond- Wicked Grin
Junior Wells- Hoodoo Man Blues
R. L. Burnside- Burnside On Burnside
Luther Allison- Live In Chicago
Robert Lockwood, Jr.- Delta Crossroads

Let me know if there's something here you'd like to hear.

Plus, Steely Dan's Everything Must Go, Disturbed's The Sickness and The Kinks' Schoolboys In Disgrace (whew, that sure hasn't aged well).

Then, it was on to Tower, where after a brief stint at the listening station, I bought the Reeveoliver disc (sounds like a crunchier, more-earnest Fountains Of Wayne) and a couple of my favorite mags that include free CDs- AMP, Vol 11 (www.ampmagazine.com (http://www.ampmagazine.com)), lots of cookie monster/punk stuff on that one, HARP (www.harpmagazine.com (http://www.harpmagazine.com)) that's a little different, stylistically than the AMP one. Scan of the HARP comp and one of the free discs that came w/ the AMP mag shown below.

Then, at the counter I asked for free stuff, and the girl gave me a couple- a 3-song Snow Patrol EP w/ tracks from Final Straw, a Keane EP w/ selections from Hopes And Fears (ww.keaneband.com) and a classical disc- The New Generation. Classical. :rolleyes: Altho it does have a cover of Elvis Costello's Oberon & Titania from Il Sogno. Might be interesting, but it'll be at the bottom of my listening list fer sure.

Not a bad haul, eh? Coming soon to comps near you. :D

fp
Nothing like working many consecutive 11-hour days to make you're eyes blurry.

I've got a few of the CeeDees you mention: 'Sweet Tea', 'Wicked Grin' and 'Live in Chicago'. I got L in C from a former Raving Wrecker many moons ago. I saw Robert Lockwood about 15 years ago at a Blues festival in Upper Marlboro, MD....very laid back. I saw Burnside at another Blues fest (Annapolis) 4-5 years ago and he was outstanding.

Sorry I haven't gotten that comp to you yet. You know how it goes: work, life, yadda yadda yadda................