Argh - Ran R-59 instead of R-6 Coax... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Argh - Ran R-59 instead of R-6 Coax...

Krosscheck
10-25-2004, 10:06 AM
I recently (within the last 2 months) had a contractor run some coax cabling in my apartment while he was doing some other work. My digital cable (Time Warner in NYC) works, but about 30 channels do not work or work very sporatically. The TW technician told me that he thinks that I have R-59 cabling in the walls.

Before I pay to have the contractor come back out to price the costs of upgrading to R-6 cabling (plaster walls), i thought I'd check with you all to see if there is anything that I can do to improve the signal in my existing cabling.

My fault for doing some research beforehand. :(

Thank you in advance.

markw
10-25-2004, 11:25 AM
There should not be THAT much signal degradation for a reasonable length run. I've got about 50' of that with no problem.

JSE
10-25-2004, 12:37 PM
I actually have a fried with a similiar problem but he does have R6. He gets some channels crystal clear and some are fuzzy. There seems to be a clear cuttoff point for the channels around channel 30. He also has cable internet through Road Runner and is will completely go out from time to time.

I think the problem may be that the full signal is not getting to his modem and TVs. I have heard some poeple need to install power boosters to get clear channel. Not really sure if this is the solution.

My buddy was going to try this possible solution this week. I'll try and post the results.

JSE

Krosscheck
10-25-2004, 01:24 PM
Mark

Thanks for replying. Its a NYC apartment...so they're all short runs.

The R6 from the cable company comes into my apartment and splits. One of the R59 runs is about 20 feet. The other goes about 20 feet and splits off again to 2 additional 15 foot runs.

I was hoping that there might be a way to boost the signal.

markw
10-25-2004, 02:09 PM
How is the signal before you split it? If it's still funky, then it's a signal strength problem. I'm doing basically the same thing with three TV's, two VCR's and a cable modem w/o a booster and everything works fine. One TV and VCR is at the end of a 45' run...and all with 59.

IMNSHO, I don't think the cable company wants to owe up to it being their problem.

Geoffcin
10-25-2004, 03:16 PM
I recently (within the last 2 months) had a contractor run some coax cabling in my apartment while he was doing some other work. My digital cable (Time Warner in NYC) works, but about 30 channels do not work or work very sporatically. The TW technician told me that he thinks that I have R-59 cabling in the walls.

Before I pay to have the contractor come back out to price the costs of upgrading to R-6 cabling (plaster walls), i thought I'd check with you all to see if there is anything that I can do to improve the signal in my existing cabling.

My fault for doing some research beforehand. :(

Thank you in advance.

Get a powered RF amplifier. I had my house recently re wired, and had one installed before the 6 way splitter. There just would have been enough signal without the booster.
The one I use has a 15db gain, and was designed for use with a digital signal.

Krosscheck
10-26-2004, 02:04 AM
Markw

The only exposed splitter is the one coming into the apt from the cable provider. If i plug in directly to that splitter, all is fine. So...it sounds like the problem is with either the R-59 cabling or the splitter inside my walls.

It's always the same channels (scattered all over). Most of the ones that NEVER work aren't too important to me, but the HBO and CMAX channels occasionally drop out.

Thanks again for the input.

Krosscheck
10-26-2004, 02:06 AM
Geoffcin

Thanks for the suggestion. I am going to definitely try the RF amplifier.

markw
10-26-2004, 03:40 AM
Next step. How is the signal coming out of each side of the exposed splitter?

If it's good coming into the apartment and out of the first splitter, I would then check all the F connectors for a solid connection. If they aren't put on good, then signal will be lost. All it takes is one. Been there... done that.

Perhaps it is a signal problem but there are several things to be aware of with boosters. First off, they need a clean signal to start with. They will not improve a weak, dirty signal. It will only make it a strong, dirty signal.

Also, If some channels do come in fine now, when you add the booster and "tweak up" the bad channels, you run the risk of overboosting the now working channels to the point you overdrive the TV.

You say you've got a splitter buried IN the wall? Now, that scares me. There are three F connectors and a splitter you can never get to? ...could be a problem. Ever hear of Murphy's law?

Krosscheck
10-26-2004, 09:26 AM
Markw,

Actually, the only thing I can't get to is a single splitter in the wall (it's in a hallway, so if I had to get to it, it's just some plastering I'd have to redo). The 3 F connectors are mounted to wallplates. The frenzy to rid my apartment of unsightly wires got the best of me. :)

I'm going to make a 30' cable so that I can go back to square one and test each location again. Once I've confirmed that the signal is the same in all 3 locations, I'll start messing around with the booster. (Is a "filter" the same thing? Someone at work suggested that as a cheaper solution)

PS - this forum is awesome. I probably should've known a lot of this already, but this is a great resource.

markw
10-26-2004, 09:52 AM
Most problems I've run into with 75 ohm cables has to do with the "F" connectors not being firmly secured to the ends. The cable itself was fine.

If you can manage it, RatShack sells pre-terminated 25' rolls of 75 ohm cable. To see if it's the cable type itself (which I strongly doubt), you might want to "borrow" a roll and run it directly from one side of the exposed splitter to one of the sites. It'll look like he!! but at least you can see if the problem lies in the walls or not.

I can't see any need for a filter. A filter removes stuff. What do they think you should filter?

Krosscheck
10-27-2004, 07:26 AM
I unplugged the splitter where the cable comes into the apartment and put a filter that my friend had. It actually gave me a choppy picture on the channels that were previously just "blank". Does this give you any more insight into what my issue might be?

Thanks again.

markw
10-27-2004, 07:52 AM
did you try using a pre-terminated length to see if that worked?

Are you saying it doesn't work coming into your apartment?

What kind of "filter" is this thing?