Any good flute recordings [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any good flute recordings

Mingus
10-25-2004, 09:12 AM
My daughter is learning the flute in the her junior high school band. Are there any good flute CDs that you could recommend. She has been playing the flute for almost a year now. I want her to hear some good recordings so she can appreciate the instrument more.

BarryL
10-25-2004, 01:18 PM
My daughter is learning the flute in the her junior high school band. Are there any good flute CDs that you could recommend. She has been playing the flute for almost a year now. I want her to hear some good recordings so she can appreciate the instrument more.

I can think of Moe Koffman, Claude Bolling Suites, Tim Weisberg, and I think there was a guy name Calloway or Galloway?

Rob B in CT
10-25-2004, 03:43 PM
For classical, I like the Mozart Flute Quartets with James Galway performing with the Tokyo String Quartet. For jazz, I like the late Thomas Chapin's work. Though he played primarily alto sax, most of his albums also feature flute. Some of it can be 'outside,' but the disc 'I've Got Your Number' is pretty straightahead.

Dusty Chalk
10-26-2004, 08:44 AM
I've been having a predilection towards Piazzolla these days, and he has some etudes and such for flute, solo and otherwise. His "Histoire du Tango" is my favourite, by recording.

(If you do a search on "piazzolla flute", the first few hits are sheet music.)

Don't know about the level, though. Be wary, it sounds hard.

Hyfi
10-26-2004, 08:50 AM

Anything by Dave Valentine