OT: Yo Chip - Is Spurrier Going To Rise From The Ashes? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : OT: Yo Chip - Is Spurrier Going To Rise From The Ashes?

JDaniel
10-25-2004, 08:52 AM
Now that Zook is out?

I for one would like to see Spurrier return to the SEC. I only wish it was at my alma mater instead of FL. The man made all SEC coaches better, or get fired.

JD

tentoze
10-25-2004, 09:15 AM
Would be nice for the Gators, but I'm doubting it's in the cards. Spurrier had too many issues with that AD, Foley. Regardless of who comes in, good riddance to Zook.

Dave_G
10-25-2004, 11:53 AM
Well Florida State lucked up and so did LSU so there you have it.

Tennessee looks pretty good.

I hope my DAWGS kick ass the rest of the season.

Dave

Mr MidFi
10-25-2004, 01:37 PM
Lickin' my chops, lookin' forward to that Cocktail Party...

Go Dawgs! Sic 'em!

3-LockBox
10-25-2004, 07:58 PM
I for one would like to see Spurrier return to the SEC. I only wish it was at my alma mater instead of FL

SACRILLIGE!!!!!!

You'd want (cry baby) Spurrier instead of Phil Fulmer?

Go VOLS!!!

JDaniel
10-26-2004, 04:21 AM
SACRILLIGE!!!!!!

You'd want (cry baby) Spurrier instead of Phil Fulmer?

Go VOLS!!!
How are ya Todd? Yeah - blasphemous I know, but I'd take Steve Superior over Fulmer any day. I actually like Fulmer. I just wish he'd hire a new offensive coodinator, because I find our current one, Randy Sanders, very "offensive". Spurrier is from my hometown in Tennessee. And he actually wanted to come to UT as an assistant many moons ago, and Johnny Majors wouldn't hire him. Go figure.

I also like Mark Richt at GA. Can't stand GA, but I do like Richt. That creates a dilemma for a diehard southern football fan. You grow up not only hating the rival schools (Bama, FL, GA etc), but also anybody associated with the programs. Now, schools like GA and Bama hire nice guys like Mark Richt and Mike Shula. It's hard not to like those guys. But I'm not supposed to, right?

JD

Chip_B
10-26-2004, 07:45 PM
Now that Zook is out?

I for one would like to see Spurrier return to the SEC. I only wish it was at my alma mater instead of FL. The man made all SEC coaches better, or get fired.

JD
I'm much relieved to see Zook finally hit the bricks. Foley never should've hired him in the first place. I remember the hiring; Gator fans everywhere met the annoucement with a resounding, "WHO?! The guy Spurrier once demoted from defensive coordinator to special teams coach? THAT Zook?!"

As for his replacement, there are several excellent candidates on the Gators shopping list and you can rest assured that Spurrier is one of them. And for the record, there is NO issue between Foley (Florida's AD) and Spurrier. They're good friends and talk at least once a week. The supposed 'bad blood' is a myth. On the other hand, there are more than a few Gators (myself included) that were none too happy about the way ol' Steve Ego left the team and I would have very mixed feelings about his return. No question the man can flat out coach and if he returns, Dave can say goodbye to the one-game winning streak Georgia will have when he takes over next year. Steve positively hates Georgia and would rather beat the Dawgs than FSU--no lie. His record versus Georgia certainly bears that out. On the other hand, Spurrier can't be bothered to recruit....it cuts into his time on the golf course. That hurts Florida and I would hate to see them hamstrung because of it. Beyond that, his ego may not allow him to wait around until Florida finishes the interview process; he naturally thinks that if he expresses interest, Florida should immediately stop searching. That simply won't happen. By all accounts, Florida is going to do a very thorough job to avoid another Zook/mistake. There are several outstanding coaches out there that Florida will probably interview: the guys at Utah, Boise State, Louisville, and Cal have all been mentioned, but the 'big ticket' coach (besides Spurrier) is Bob Stoops. That's the guy that I really would love to see take over the reins. He loves Florida, owns a home in Crescent Beach, and came mighty close to accepting when Spurrier left.

However, just to be clear, I'd take the Ol' Ball Coach over Fat Phil and his doublewide behind ANY time. :p

Go Gators!

3-LockBox
10-29-2004, 07:19 AM
Bob Stoops. That's the guy that I really would love to see take over the reins!

says no dice. Oklahoma isn't too bad a gig either.

Chip_B
10-29-2004, 05:33 PM
says no dice. Oklahoma isn't too bad a gig either.
Yep...I saw the reports. With a lot of guys you could say things will be different after the season's over and maybe he'll change his mind. I don't think that's the way Stoops operates--I take him at his word. Still, I'm not discouraged. There are still several very worthy coaches out there and I'm confident Florida will land a high profile guy that will come in and turn things around.

Most folks in my neck of the woods think that Spurrier will get his job back and I could certainly live with the choice. Florida enjoyed far more success during his tenure than with any other coach they've ever had: unbeatable in The Swamp, Florida's first SEC Championship (and several more thereafter), 11-1 against the Dawgs, and a National Championship. The Ol' Ball Coach did a helluva job.

Swish
10-31-2004, 09:03 AM
Yep...I saw the reports. With a lot of guys you could say things will be different after the season's over and maybe he'll change his mind. I don't think that's the way Stoops operates--I take him at his word. Still, I'm not discouraged. There are still several very worthy coaches out there and I'm confident Florida will land a high profile guy that will come in and turn things around.

Most folks in my neck of the woods think that Spurrier will get his job back and I could certainly live with the choice. Florida enjoyed far more success during his tenure than with any other coach they've ever had: unbeatable in The Swamp, Florida's first SEC Championship (and several more thereafter), 11-1 against the Dawgs, and a National Championship. The Ol' Ball Coach did a helluva job.

If you think you have problems now...

Don't get me wrong, I love Joepa, but he needs to step down at the end of this season. This will be the fourth losing season in a row, and we're just not accustomed to that kind of performance at Penn State. I know they gave Joe the 4 year contract extension at the end of last season, but I think that was the right thing to do. Why, you ask? I'll tell you why. You don't fire a legend, and he is a true living legend. You give him the contract extension then you hope he does the right thing and steps down if things don't improve. Well Joe, things couldn't be worse, so this should be your last season. I simply can't take any more of this.

Swish - PSU class of 1980