Oil hits $55.00 a barrel! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Oil hits $55.00 a barrel!

piece-it pete
10-25-2004, 07:17 AM
As if we needed more evidence that Michael Moores' a freaking idiot!

Pete

trollgirl
10-27-2004, 10:55 AM
...freaking or otherwise.

High-priced and scarce oil is certainly a harbinger of terror, but probably not like you think, Pete. The buzz is that oil production is peaking out, and more and more countries are making the transition form oil-exporters to oil-importers. I read that Great Britian just did that, and China has done it too. China's oil needs are going to reach astronomical levels in a few years, and this IMO will impell them to make a grab for the Caspian oil pie. Trouble is, Bush and his oil cronies want it too, and the Russians (you can bet!) have a big interest in it. What else would draw the "kings of the east" to that part of the world with an army of 200,000,000?? Who else but China could field such a large army? Yes, I refer to Armageddon...

Laz
================================================== ===============
Socrates taught Plato, Plato taught Aristotle, and Aristotle tutored the son of Phillip of Macedon, who went on to become Alexander the Great, largely by slaughtering a lot of people. That's Philosophy. -Lazarus Short

piece-it pete
10-27-2004, 12:56 PM
Laz,

I was just pointing out that if the Sauds were going to get Bush reelected they're doing a horrible job.

But yeah, oil is becoming a problem. We're a victim of our own success!

What gets me is, WE NEED OIL! No one will say this, except like: " We're only in it for the oil".

Without oil, the whole world economy grinds to a halt. Millions starve to death in third world countries. Borderline starvation in the 2nd world. People think the economy sucks now?! Oil is a legitimate world interest!

Interesting take on Revelation. Hopefully soon!

Pete

PS The tag line's great! I also think of Peter the Great, a vicious ruler, vs Ivan the Terrible, a much softer leader. Go figure.

SRO
10-27-2004, 01:03 PM
[QUOTE=piece-it pete]Laz,

I was just pointing out that if the Sauds were going to get Bush reelected they're doing a horrible job.

Pete,

Oil dropped below $53 a barrel today. Is this the October surprise? I thought they would cart Osama out. Are they saving that for Monday? Just kidding.

On the subject though, did you ever notice that as soon as oil prices go up, so does the price at the pump? When it drops, it takes a while for the price of a gallon to drop.

trollgirl
10-27-2004, 01:29 PM
Pete, maybe the House of Saud decided Bush was a lost cause.

Pete, Ivan was guilty of some nasty crimes, such a a big slaughter in Novgorod. Tsar Peter got good press from the western historians because he westernized Russia. Therefore, he MUST have geen a nice guy... History views the two men thru two different filters. As Henry Ford said, history is bunk. Somebody else said that history is a joke we play on the past.

SRO, yes the gouging never ends. Any excuse for the exercise of greed. Makes me think of a hypothetical book title: How You Can Profit From The Coming Stone Age.

Laz

================================================== =========
"Chaos" is the name we give to our failure to discern the principles which govern the events around us. -Lazarus Short

SRO
10-27-2004, 01:36 PM
The best I've heard is :

He who wins, it's his story.

piece-it pete
10-28-2004, 05:51 AM
GF,

Not to say Ivan the Terrible didn't do anything, well, terrible.

The nicknames were given by the Russians themselves, not westerners.

I haven't read much with Ivan, just an outline, however Peter the Great - little things, like forcing his top people to directly participate with him in the torture of the streltsy, an old unit of their army.

Not a very flattering picture. Though westerners DID like him overall. Well not so much the Swedes!

Interesting sidenote: The streltsy had a secret society, in order to advance one had to pass a higher level of actual torture. Made them very hard for Peter to crack, but crack they did. Life used to be a little, just a teeny bit, harder. :)

And SRO, if history is written by the winners in an absolute sense, why are the Indians painted in such a positive light?

Everything is slanted, whether intentionally or not. Even people on the scene of a particular event doesn't know everything going on.

A good historian usually points this out in the preface of his/her book.

I suggest "The Art of Historical Detection" to anyone interested. The lessons I learned for this little book can be applied to just about everything, it's a very good start, and with time you get a kinda built in - slant-o-meter?

Not to say it's always right, but something is better than nothing!

Pete

trollgirl
10-31-2004, 09:40 PM
I read on the news that China and Iran have signed a big oil deal. China is courting countries in the area which have oil. Competition for that dwindling resource will only be getting more frantic...

Laz

tibor nagy
11-01-2004, 08:30 PM
...freaking or otherwise.

High-priced and scarce oil is certainly a harbinger of terror, but probably not like you think, Pete. The buzz is that oil production is peaking out, and more and more countries are making the transition form oil-exporters to oil-importers. I read that Great Britian just did that, and China has done it too. China's oil needs are going to reach astronomical levels in a few years, and this IMO will impell them to make a grab for the Caspian oil pie. Trouble is, Bush and his oil cronies want it too, and the Russians (you can bet!) have a big interest in it. What else would draw the "kings of the east" to that part of the world with an army of 200,000,000?? Who else but China could field such a large army? Yes, I refer to Armageddon...

Laz

Hi Trollgirl, I'm no trolling for an arguement, but I want to disagree with you a bit here. First, I do agree with everythng you said except the Armageddon stuff (don't believe in it) and the statement about Bush and his oil cronies. Its not just GWB, its our nation's insatiable appetite for oil and gas. No matter who's in power, that appetite will be there. Securing access to stable oil supplies is a cornerstone of any president. To say different is insane (not you ;) but politicians in general). Its a vital national interest.

trollgirl
11-02-2004, 09:36 PM
...becoimg insatiable. Oil is a vital national interest of theirs, too. When supplies become critically short, conflict is almost unavoidable. War is just an extension of politics.

Laz