Finishing HT set-up- surround speakers question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Finishing HT set-up- surround speakers question

Eric Z
10-25-2004, 06:27 AM
Hello, everyone-

I am in the market for surround speakers to complete my HT set-up. This is what I currently have-

Yamaha 5760 receiver
Mirage FRX5 front floorstanding speakers
Mirage FRX center channel
Def Tech PS80 subwoofer

I am very pleased with my HT so far! However, the Mirage FRX series is discontinued so the only route for getting the matching surrounds would be through Ebay, Audiogon, or similar avenues. I do not have a problem doing that, but I want to make sure I hear the speaker prior to commiting- I would like to have some type of return policy as well!

I was thinking about going to my local retailers to look at other speakers from different companies to use as my surrounds. This way, if they don't sound good, I can return them.

Is it important to buy surround type speakers, or can I just get a bookshelf speakers and use those as the surrounds? I was thinking about something a littler smaller like a Def Tech PM80 or PM100.

In additon, is it very important to get surrounds that match the fronts and center?

Thanks for your help!
Eric

brulaha
10-25-2004, 02:11 PM
It's not as important to match your rears with your front speakers. It is certainly the best option, but not nearly as important as matching your center to your mains.

PAT.P
10-25-2004, 09:21 PM
Hello, everyone-

I am in the market for surround speakers to complete my HT set-up. This is what I currently have-

Yamaha 5760 receiver
Mirage FRX5 front floorstanding speakers
Mirage FRX center channel
Def Tech PS80 subwoofer

I am very pleased with my HT so far! However, the Mirage FRX series is discontinued so the only route for getting the matching surrounds would be through Ebay, Audiogon, or similar avenues. I do not have a problem doing that, but I want to make sure I hear the speaker prior to commiting- I would like to have some type of return policy as well!

I was thinking about going to my local retailers to look at other speakers from different companies to use as my surrounds. This way, if they don't sound good, I can return them.

Is it important to buy surround type speakers, or can I just get a bookshelf speakers and use those as the surrounds? I was thinking about something a littler smaller like a Def Tech PM80 or PM100.

In additon, is it very important to get surrounds that match the fronts and center?

Thanks for your help!
Eric
Mirage makes the OM-R2 and the OMNI FX surround speaker they should be alright for back speaker! If you like your mirage stick with them !PAT.P