First Speaker Purchase......... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : First Speaker Purchase.........

Cumminspuller
10-24-2004, 07:35 PM
We are in the process of looking at our first H/T and music system. I am currently looking at either the AVR7000 or AVR630. I do not believe we are going to have room for a 6.1 or 7.1 system, so that points me towards the 7000. My main reason for posting is for some advice on speaker purchase. The small town we live in has no audio/video stores. Our room size is approximately 20x30. Carpeted floors, sheetrock walls, two windows in the room. Music preferences range from blue grass, country, classic rock, celtic. I am torn between to cube type/subwoofer systems like Orb Audio or something more like Ascend Acoustics. We would like the speakers and/or speaker stands to have a small footprint as to maximize floor space. Would rather not hang surrounds on the walls. The 36" Toshiba TV will be against one wall and the primary sitting area against the opposite side of the room against the wall.

Being that the couch will be against the wall I am not sure how the surrounds should be placed.

Price range I am looking at is between $1000 and $1200 shipped.

I hope I have given all enough info. If not, please let me know and will answer accordingly.

Thank you,

Jason

eisforelectronic
10-25-2004, 02:42 AM
Sounds like more than enough room for 6.1 or 7.1. For small size you might look at Mirage Omni-sats or Micro-sats as well.

Bryan
10-25-2004, 07:04 AM
Something that is a little beyond your price range but you may want to look into:

http://www.plasmadocs.com/v-web/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=43

Basically, Rocket ELT/SVS 25-31PCi combo. Runs $1,299 plus shipping. Look around for used gear too at places such as here, HTF, or audiogon.com.

Cumminspuller
10-27-2004, 02:51 AM
Bryan.........I take it you have some of these? What are your opinions on them? I bought an HK AVR630. I have seen quite a few people on here that have paired Polk with HK.

Jason

PAT.P
10-27-2004, 04:01 AM
We are in the process of looking at our first H/T and music system. I am currently looking at either the AVR7000 or AVR630. I do not believe we are going to have room for a 6.1 or 7.1 system, so that points me towards the 7000. My main reason for posting is for some advice on speaker purchase. The small town we live in has no audio/video stores. Our room size is approximately 20x30. Carpeted floors, sheetrock walls, two windows in the room. Music preferences range from blue grass, country, classic rock, celtic. I am torn between to cube type/subwoofer systems like Orb Audio or something more like Ascend Acoustics. We would like the speakers and/or speaker stands to have a small footprint as to maximize floor space. Would rather not hang surrounds on the walls. The 36" Toshiba TV will be against one wall and the primary sitting area against the opposite side of the room against the wall.

Being that the couch will be against the wall I am not sure how the surrounds should be placed.

Price range I am looking at is between $1000 and $1200 shipped.

I hope I have given all enough info. If not, please let me know and will answer accordingly.

Thank you,

Jason
GO TO AXIOM WEBSITE AND LOOK AT THEIR QSA OR QS8 WALL SPEAKER YOU COULD PROBABLY BUY TWO PAIR AND ADD THEIR CENTER ,THEY ALSO HAVE DISCOUNT ON FACTORY SECOUND AND DELIVER TO YOUR DOOR!PAT.P

kfalls
10-27-2004, 05:37 AM
First of all, you have a couple of pretty tall orders to contend with. A 20'x30' room is a large area to expect a sub/sat system to fill. Also, it sounds like you're setting up your entertainment system on the long 30" wall with the couch on the opposite wall 20' away. With only a 36" TV a 20" distance isn't close to being optimum for viewing. A distance 1.7 times the screen size is usually recommended.

Surround speakers were first used with Dolby ProLogic to provide ambience and were mono and limited to a frequency response of 100Hz-7KHz. With newer formats the rear channels are discrete, full-range and not only provide ambience, but also directional queues giving a 3D effect. It will be very difficult to get the desired effect with surrounds next to your listening area. Ideally, if you could put your system on the short wall, place your couch mid-room with the surrounds behind the couch, you'd be much happier with the results.

When looking for speakers, always go with a speaker company. Don't buy speakers from Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, etc. Also try to match your speakers to your receiver. If you have less than 80W/ch try not to purchase speakers with an efficiency of less than 88db. WIth the size of your room less efficient speakers will require more power to sound right. With a low-powered receiver the power supply will run out and start to clip, which can damage your speakers, amp, or both. Have you looked at Klipsch speakers? They are very efficient, reasonably priced and readily available. Don't worry about the "horn" sound people talk about. Some of the finest speakers made have horns. Hope this helps.

Lensman
10-27-2004, 07:56 AM
Along the line of using larger Klipsch speakers, BIC released a line called Acoustech using the same technology that got some decent reviews. This is a 5.1 setup with a pair of tower fronts, center, two surrounds all rated at 96 db sensitivity and 500W sub. The full setup is available online for $1199 shipped from here (though Costco has/had it for $699):

http://www.homespeakers.com/buynow.asp?action=detail&prid=1054&crid=63&cat_name=home+theater+systems

Details/specs on the Acoustechs from BIC's site is here:

http://www.rtrspeakers.com/banner.htm

There was a thread about these on this forum a while back. It's here:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=3016&highlight=costco

enrique
10-27-2004, 04:21 PM
If you have a definitive technology dealer check the procinema packages.I have the pro 100's all around w/c2 center and 200tl sub,powered w/rotel rsx1056.My room is 22.5 x 19.5 and they fill the room w/no problem.You can mix and match the speakers from the 80,100,or 200's.Black or white.
Just realized you don't have audio/video store.You may try ebay or audiogon if your interested.