recording dvd in 5.1 on a standalone [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : recording dvd in 5.1 on a standalone

stereonewbie
10-24-2004, 04:46 PM
Ive read on here that its not possible since dvd recorders only record in 2.0 stereo but what if your dvd recorder has a digital audio input instead of an analog input? Provided your satellite box has it also.

hershon
10-24-2004, 05:46 PM
First off if you are planning to copy a commercial DVD, you need to get a seperate "decoder" that you can get on Ebay for about $100 and postage for a standalone recorder or get this software for free for a computer DVD burner on software called DVD Shrink. I currently have an external DVD burner for my computer that cost me about $140 with Nero software new on EBay but some sell as low as $80. I'm also planning to get a standalone DVD recorder for the purpose of recording TV shows and making DVD copies of videos I have. On my computer I can make DVD's of TV shows but unfortunately they'll only play on my computer which is why I'm also getting a stand alone recorder. You do get great 5.1 sound on a computer (external/internal) DVD recorder. I'm not sure about standalones even though the ads for them say dolby digital audio input.

Ive read on here that its not possible since dvd recorders only record in 2.0 stereo but what if your dvd recorder has a digital audio input instead of an analog input? Provided your satellite box has it also.