Gallo Nucleus Reference 3 review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Gallo Nucleus Reference 3 review

Geoffcin
10-24-2004, 04:02 PM
Just posted my review of these speakers to Audio Review.

Here's the link;

http://www.audioreview.com/Speakers/Gallo%20Acoustics/PRD_327589_3646_1711691crx.aspx#reviews

theaudiohobby
10-24-2004, 04:11 PM
Nice speakers but I do not think that it breaks new ground, I think that it actually sounds its price, for example I will pick a Quad 988 + subwoofer over it anyday, The Quad 988 has a far superior midrange.

Geoffcin
10-24-2004, 04:27 PM
Nice speakers but I do not think that it breaks new ground, I think that it actually sounds its price, for example I will pick a Quad 988 + subwoofer over it anyday, The Quad 988 has a far superior midrange.

I would never toss the Quads (if I had them) for these speakers, and I'm not tossing my Maggies either, but last time I looked the big Quads were $6500. Their response is so fast it would be joke to match them with anything but the best of servo subs. The big digital Velodyne would be my choice. That's just shy of $4k, so your talking about 10k worth of speakers. Now let's talk about how finicky the Quads are. It would be a joke to connect them to anything but the best amplification. How about a quality Conrad Johnson amp. Let's say at least 5k worth of amps to match the quality of the Quad. You've just built yourself a world class system, but with cabling, a good source and preamp your up near 20k!

drseid
10-24-2004, 05:15 PM
Good review Geoff... I have been waiting to audition these since thier release. I hated the looks of the original Nucleus Reference speakers, but these look great. If the sound comes close to the looks, I am sure I will be pleased.

I can't imagine ever giving up my beloved Tyler Linbrook Signature System speakers, but for a second system, these would certainly be on my short list.

Enjoy your new toys!

---Dave

Geoffcin
10-24-2004, 05:31 PM
Good review Geoff... I have been waiting to audition these since thier release. I hated the looks of the original Nucleus Reference speakers, but these look great. If the sound comes close to the looks, I am sure I will be pleased.

I can't imagine ever giving up my beloved Tyler Linbrook Signature System speakers, but for a second system, these would certainly be on my short list.

Enjoy your new toys!

---Dave

Just for the record; these speakers replace my Home Theater speakers, NOT my Maggies.

Also, and very important, these speakers NEED to be broken in. The tweeter is made of some whacky aerospace plastic that is very stiff initially. As a maggie owner I know all about long break in, but a lot of box speaker owners have never experienced anything like this, so it might be a shock for them. Once they break in the coherance is absolutely seamless.

drseid
10-25-2004, 01:24 AM
Sorry Geoff,

I did not mean to imply that the Gallos were only good enough for use in a second system... I am sure most people would nearly kill to own them at all, let alone add them as a second system like you have (and I possibly would).

I guess it just is a testament as to how good those Maggies you own are!

Again, sorry if my reply came off the wrong way... I meant absolutly no disrespect to you or the Gallos.

---Dave

Geoffcin
10-25-2004, 03:01 PM
Sorry Geoff,

I did not mean to imply that the Gallos were only good enough for use in a second system... I am sure most people would nearly kill to own them at all, let alone add them as a second system like you have (and I possibly would).

I guess it just is a testament as to how good those Maggies you own are!

Again, sorry if my reply came off the wrong way... I meant absolutly no disrespect to you or the Gallos.

---Dave

There's a lot of us that will not part with our main speakers no matter what. It's not restricted to maggie owners, although as a bunch they are probably the worst offenders.

KKM
11-06-2004, 08:26 AM
Geoffcin,
I also own the Maggie 3.6's and am considering replacing them with the Ref. 3. I have heard them a few times and it was a mix bag. Since you own both, do you think you could live with the Ref. 3's without the 3.6's. I love the planar sound and attributes but am a reluctant to comprimise on the sound. I guess my question is, would I be happy with the replacement in the long run? The 3.6's have garnered universal praise from reviewers and owners alike, whereas the Ref.3's have gotten excellent press reviews but mixed reviews from owners and those who have heard them, maybe its more room dependent than one thinks and the break-in period. But I am looking forward for feedback from those who are planar lovers and have done the detail comparison. The reason I am replacing them is that a new rugrat is on the way and the Ref.3 seem more kid friendly because it is protect better from prying hands. Sorry for all the questions but would love to hear your thoughts, thanks.

Geoffcin
11-06-2004, 09:20 AM
Geoffcin,
I also own the Maggie 3.6's and am considering replacing them with the Ref. 3. I have heard them a few times and it was a mix bag. Since you own both, do you think you could live with the Ref. 3's without the 3.6's. I love the planar sound and attributes but am a reluctant to comprimise on the sound. I guess my question is, would I be happy with the replacement in the long run? The 3.6's have garnered universal praise from reviewers and owners alike, whereas the Ref.3's have gotten excellent press reviews but mixed reviews from owners and those who have heard them, maybe its more room dependent than one thinks and the break-in period. But I am looking forward for feedback from those who are planar lovers and have done the detail comparison. The reason I am replacing them is that a new rugrat is on the way and the Ref.3 seem more kid friendly because it is protect better from prying hands. Sorry for all the questions but would love to hear your thoughts, thanks.

Those of us who are addicted to the maggie sound will not want to part with it. The 3.6r when driven correctly is a reference class speaker, and is comparable to some of the best speakers ever made. Maggies have issues with HT though, the biggest of which is the sweet spot. I have a 7 seat HT setup, and with the Maggies maybe 3 seats would have correct sound. Also, the Gallos have better low volume dynamics, a feature that is essential for HT. The Maggies really shine over 85db, but I usually don't listen at that level for casual listening.
Your right about issues with the Gallos. The tweeter is phenomenal, easily eclipsing any other tweeter ever made save the maggie ribbons. The problem is that if you stand up, the response falls off. These speakers were designed for a seated listening position. Also the side firing woofers need to have space to develop bass. The Gallos prefer at least 4ft from the side walls, any closer and you'll run into bass issues. In my room the bass is great, bettering the Maggies in quantity, if not quality. The Gallos present a boxless sound with great dynamics, and seamless integration. This speaker is NOT for just for show, it's the real deal. I would recommend it over any other speaker in it's price range.

KKM
11-06-2004, 07:35 PM
Thanks for your reply, I actually think the Maggies do very with HT because of the wall of sound as compared to box speakers, of course we don't have off-axis issues because there's only 2 of us. I guess I just need to compromise and give up the 3.6's for now. There's a onwer of both that seems to prefer the Gallo's. Let us know your thoughts as you live further with the Ref. 3's.

Geoffcin
11-07-2004, 03:50 AM
Thanks for your reply, I actually think the Maggies do very with HT because of the wall of sound as compared to box speakers, of course we don't have off-axis issues because there's only 2 of us. I guess I just need to compromise and give up the 3.6's for now. There's a onwer of both that seems to prefer the Gallo's. Let us know your thoughts as you live further with the Ref. 3's.

When it comes to speaker preferences. There are things that big panels do that cannot be done by any other type of speaker. Once you are used to this, anything else falls short. I am at a different stage than you are, having moved into HT at the beginning over 20 years ago, and just within the last five years become enamored with the Magnepan sound. I own two pair of Magnepans, the 3.6r, and the original series III, and there's no way I'm parting with EITHER! My opinion is that you should keep your maggies unless you are not able to.