Magnepans 2.5 on ebay. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Magnepans 2.5 on ebay.

KRiTiKaL
10-24-2004, 02:58 PM
If anyone knows, is this worth pursuing? I bid $500 and reserve has not been met. Let me know what you guys thing. Thx

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5726573534&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ADS%3AMT%3A28

Geoffcin
10-24-2004, 03:52 PM
If anyone knows, is this worth pursuing? I bid $500 and reserve has not been met. Let me know what you guys thing. Thx

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5726573534&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ADS%3AMT%3A28

I'm pretty sure that the 2.5's had a true ribbon tweeter. They don't have the bass responce of the 3 series, but if the speaker is in good shape it should be a pretty nice deal.

KRiTiKaL
10-24-2004, 06:49 PM
I cant seem to find any info on bass response. Am I looking at 40hz, 50hz? I would buy a set if I could find them at $500 +s&h. Any other info on these? I can only find the 2.5R is this the same? Thanks

Geoffcin
10-25-2004, 02:31 AM
I cant seem to find any info on bass response. Am I looking at 40hz, 50hz? I would buy a set if I could find them at $500 +s&h. Any other info on these? I can only find the 2.5R is this the same? Thanks

These are the 2.5r.

KRiTiKaL
10-27-2004, 04:24 PM
Grabbed em for $550! Hope thier everything you maggie fans say! Thanks and will report back on sound.

Geoffcin
10-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Grabbed em for $550! Hope thier everything you maggie fans say! Thanks and will report back on sound.

You got a steal! $550 is what you'ld pay for the MMG's, and these 2.5's are much better. I hope you've done your maggie homework. If not, let me give you a couple pointers;

Amplification; The better, the better. You don't need massive amplification, but your amp has to able to handle a 4ohm load and sound good doing it.

Space; You've got to treat these speakers differently than most other speakers in that they have to be at least 3ft from the front wall to develop the huge soundfield that they are famous for.

Position; You're going to have to play with them to get them exactly right. Just a couple of degrees of angle can make a big difference.

Let us know when you get them, and wecome to the maggie family!

spacedeckman
10-27-2004, 07:25 PM
1) When you get them assembled and upright, there should be a metal strip on the back of the speaker covering the tweeter. Remove it slowly or risk tweeter damage.

2) Tell your wife if she vacuums the speakers she might as well pack her bags and move out. Seriously, they can be rebuilt for fairly cheap at the factory. My sister in law vacuumed mine clean out.

3) They make really good bass (upper 40s in most rooms useable) and are actually fairly easy to drive. I used a small receiver when I first got them, and also a Stereo 70 later on. The Stereo 70 would play loud enough that my wife could feel the bass through the floor in the upstairs shower.

4) Experiment with placement, and inch can make a big difference with them.

5) Be prepared to hear "the box" when you listen to regular speakers. I went from the Maggies to high end bookshelf speakers.

You will enjoy them. BTW, the tweeters are adjustable using resistors. You can get an assortment for not much money from the factory if they aren't in the box.