Rear HT Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rear HT Speakers

Dale M
10-24-2004, 12:25 PM
Hi. Im wondering if some large speakers for the rear on my 5.1 HT are worth the pain
of running new wires and walking around them all the time?, I have a pair of wall hanging Yamaha NS E105's that Im using now and they sound pretty good i think, more bass then I would have thought for a smaller pair of speakers, But I have an extra pair of 3 way floor standing speakers that I dont use , they have a 10 inch a 6 inch and a 3 inch in them and they sounded good when used alone a few years back.. It doesnt seems like alot comes out of the rear speakers when watching a movie that would improve by going to large floor speakers, this system is only used for watching tv,, any thoughts?
Thanks
Dale M

Wireworm5
10-24-2004, 02:15 PM
Just my .02, I use floorstanders for rears. In my opinion if you are just listening in surround mode then a bookshelf speaker is sufficient since they are mostly for effects and you would probably route any low bass to a sub or front mains.
If on the other hand you are also using your receiver in multi-channel stereo mode then a floorstander can really add to the overall sound. However there is a risk of having way too much bass if you set the speakers to large, that being the case bookshelfs would suffice so this depends entirely on your room acoustics.
I haven't tried dipole speakers so I don't know if this would be better than using a conventional speaker for rears.

PAT.P
10-26-2004, 10:18 AM
Hi. Im wondering if some large speakers for the rear on my 5.1 HT are worth the pain
of running new wires and walking around them all the time?, I have a pair of wall hanging Yamaha NS E105's that Im using now and they sound pretty good i think, more bass then I would have thought for a smaller pair of speakers, But I have an extra pair of 3 way floor standing speakers that I dont use , they have a 10 inch a 6 inch and a 3 inch in them and they sounded good when used alone a few years back.. It doesnt seems like alot comes out of the rear speakers when watching a movie that would improve by going to large floor speakers, this system is only used for watching tv,, any thoughts?
Thanks
Dale M
TRY THE TOWERS AND IF THEY SOUND BETTER THAN THE BOOKSHELF USE THEM!IF YOU THE ROOM GO FOR IT!PAT.P :D

Quagmire
10-26-2004, 10:21 AM
You will probably get better result by staying with the wall hanging Yamaha speakers rather than trying to use floorstanders as rears. The principle reason is that you will be able to place the wall hanging speakers for optimal sound, whereas the floorstanders will probably present placement problems. Additionally, you are usually better off limiting the number of speakers producing low bass frequencies and allowing those frequencies to be routed to a good subwoofer instead.

Q