The other day I discovered [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The other day I discovered

J*E*Cole
10-22-2004, 09:56 PM
Mark Knopfler previously from Dire Straits. Not too familiar with Dire Straits, but love this new Knofpler album. Guitar work is so well done and the recording is pretty good too. All the songs on this album are terrific. Excellent musical interludes and jams etc... Also the songs are all really well developed and do not disappoint.

Anyone wanna chime in on this one? Is Knopfler one of the all time greats like Gilmour, Petty, Van Halen etc...? Always love it when I discover a new artist I like.

"Sailing To Philadelphia" was the album. Anyone care to analyze???

Are his newer releases just as good?

Thanks!

ForeverAutumn
10-23-2004, 06:58 AM
Mark Knopfler previously from Dire Straits. Not too familiar with Dire Straits, but love this new Knofpler album. Guitar work is so well done and the recording is pretty good too. All the songs on this album are terrific. Excellent musical interludes and jams etc... Also the songs are all really well developed and do not disappoint.

Anyone wanna chime in on this one? Is Knopfler one of the all time greats like Gilmour, Petty, Van Halen etc...? Always love it when I discover a new artist I like.

Thanks!

Sailing To Philadelphia is a fantastic album. If you like STP, then you will want to stay far, far away from his 2002 follow-up, The Ragpicker's Dream, which, IMHO is as boring as boring gets. I bought it on the strength on STP and was highly disappointed.

I haven't heard his latest release, Shangri-La, yet. After the money wasted on Ragpicker, I want to hear a few tracks before I dive in.

BarryL
10-23-2004, 01:17 PM
Sailing To Philadelphia is a fantastic album. If you like STP, then you will want to stay far, far away from his 2002 follow-up, The Ragpicker's Dream, which, IMHO is as boring as boring gets. I bought it on the strength on STP and was highly disappointed.

I haven't heard his latest release, Shangri-La, yet. After the money wasted on Ragpicker, I want to hear a few tracks before I dive in.

Sailing to Philly was outstanding. Try Love Over Gold for a Dire Straits classic.

3-LockBox
10-25-2004, 08:20 PM
<i>On Every Street</i> is a great album. Its from 1991, but the sound quality exceeds everything from that era; very clean and detailed with some of Knopfler's finest moments. It actually comes across like a solo album to some people, since it is a departure from their '80s stuff. But it is an under-appreciated gem, with some of Knopfler's best writing.

3-LockBox
10-25-2004, 08:27 PM
try Lindsay Buckingham's <i>Out Of The Cradle</i>, definately his best solo effort.

*He was <b>Fleetwood Mac</b>'s lead guitarist/singer from the late '70s thru the '80s (he was also on the concert video <i>The Dance</i>).*

J*E*Cole
10-26-2004, 05:00 PM
try Lindsay Buckingham's <i>Out Of The Cradle</i>, definately his best solo effort.

*He was <b>Fleetwood Mac</b>'s lead guitarist/singer from the late '70s thru the '80s (he was also on the concert video <i>The Dance</i>).*

Will do, by the way, what "style" would you say this Mark Knopfler work is? It seems a little folky to me, is this true? Guitars really shine though. Sailing To Philadelphia is an excellent recording. I will definitely be trying some more of this stuff.

Thanks!

Mike
10-28-2004, 05:35 AM
Mark Knopfler previously from Dire Straits. Not too familiar with Dire Straits, but love this new Knofpler album.

Is Knopfler one of the all time greats like Gilmour, Petty, Van Halen etc...? Always love it when I discover a new artist I like.

Thanks!

I've been a long time fan of Knopfler ever since I saw him back in 1977 with Dire Straits and yes he is definitely one of the all time greats IMO, now I'm not a musician but his style sounds so simple yet I imagine technically difficult. His heyday was with DS and if you haven't heard of him before I suspect you are at the younger end of the generation unlike some old gits round here. I can recommend all the DS albums, I think there are only 5 excluding live albums and they are all available in remastered format, sound quality was always a feature of DS albums. Or there's at least one, maybe more pretty good comps out there. I even made one up myself a while ago which I'll throw out to you if you want to pm me with your address.

l like him so much I can even forgive him for the truly awful Twisting By The Pool track he did with Dire Straits. As for now well he has turned into a MOR artist, his last album was more folk and the latest from what I've heard sounds like he was just going through the motions. Sailing to Philadelphia was probably his last solid album.

Cheers
Mike

Mr MidFi
10-28-2004, 06:56 AM
In my opinion, Making Movies and Love Over Gold are the two Dire Straits albums to get. Their first, s/t disc also has its share of moments.

I have Sailing to Philadelphia, and play it from time to time. It's a good album, but it doesn't stir me as much as it does other people. Can't complain about the production values, though...an excellent system demo disc.

J*E*Cole
11-01-2004, 08:30 PM
I've been a long time fan of Knopfler ever since I saw him back in 1977 with Dire Straits and yes he is definitely one of the all time greats IMO, now I'm not a musician but his style sounds so simple yet I imagine technically difficult. His heyday was with DS and if you haven't heard of him before I suspect you are at the younger end of the generation unlike some old gits round here. I can recommend all the DS albums, I think there are only 5 excluding live albums and they are all available in remastered format, sound quality was always a feature of DS albums. Or there's at least one, maybe more pretty good comps out there. I even made one up myself a while ago which I'll throw out to you if you want to pm me with your address.

l like him so much I can even forgive him for the truly awful Twisting By The Pool track he did with Dire Straits. As for now well he has turned into a MOR artist, his last album was more folk and the latest from what I've heard sounds like he was just going through the motions. Sailing to Philadelphia was probably his last solid album.

Cheers
Mike

Yeah, the more I have listened to "Sailing To Philidelphia", the more I realized how incredible the recording is. This thing is as near to perfect as I've ever heard. So I bought his latest album called "Shangri La", and it is alot like the latter, and also is an impeccable recording. This guy is serious about his music. I can really crank this stuff up, and it sounds terrific. The track "Whoop te do" from "Shangri La" is worth the price of the album alone. I think "Shangri La" is a solid piece of work. Anyone else heard it yet??